Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems booking Business award to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Might be a married segment issue? Could a phone agent book it, perhaps?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
I did finally phone the call centre and the agent suggested waiting until mid-August to attempt booking again.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Problems booking Business award to BKK

I’’m still trying to book Business flights Nov.28 to March 5 BER to BKK using miles. Please bear with me as I’m a bit of a newbie in the rewards game. I did book this same route successfully for this past June and the experience was seamless — I had my choice of LH, OS and LX flights from the outset and got LH out and OS return. This time I’m getting no Business availability at all and often only LH flights in Premium Economy, some days OS but still only Premium Economy.
My wife and I have 300,000 miles to burn so we’d like to use them up. Cash and Miles seems like a really bad deal — we’d burn all of our miles and only get €1000 reduction.
I did call the M&M call centre and was told to “try again mid-August.” Well that’s come and gone and still no joy.
So what’s a good strategy? Book the Premium Economy and try to upgrade? Use my miles for flights on another Star Alliance carrier ie THAI or Turkish? (And how do I go about booking that? Through the M&M call centre?) Will Business availability start to loosen up closer to the flight date?
I’m just about to throw in the towel and just pay cash for the tickets because there are other aspects of our trip that depend on the flight dates and I don’t like this uncertainty.
Is it a better strategy to book the return flight, say, in January, and just go for the outbound flight now? (I’d have to book an LCC to somewhere in SE Asia for visa purposes.)
Dear moderators, I know I have a similar thread on my quest from several months ago. Please don’t merge this one.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Searching for award seats to BKK for travel in June is much easier than looking for the same seats in November (start of high season, whereas June is low low season).

The business class award seats to BKK are gone long time ago and unlikely to come back, unless you wait until around 1 week before departure to see if LH Group releases last minute seats. Some flexibility with travel dates will also significantly improve your chances of success.

If you book award tickets in Prem. Economy I doubt you will be able to upgrade (cash or miles) subsequently, but I may not be updated on this.

To book with other Star Alliance Partners you need to call M&M
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by billp
I’’m still trying to book Business flights Nov.28 to March 5 BER to BKK using miles. Please bear with me as I’m a bit of a newbie in the rewards game. I did book this same route successfully for this past June and the experience was seamless — I had my choice of LH, OS and LX flights from the outset and got LH out and OS return. This time I’m getting no Business availability at all and often only LH flights in Premium Economy, some days OS but still only Premium Economy.
My wife and I have 300,000 miles to burn so we’d like to use them up. Cash and Miles seems like a really bad deal — we’d burn all of our miles and only get €1000 reduction.
I did call the M&M call centre and was told to “try again mid-August.” Well that’s come and gone and still no joy.
So what’s a good strategy? Book the Premium Economy and try to upgrade? Use my miles for flights on another Star Alliance carrier ie THAI or Turkish? (And how do I go about booking that? Through the M&M call centre?) Will Business availability start to loosen up closer to the flight date?
I’m just about to throw in the towel and just pay cash for the tickets because there are other aspects of our trip that depend on the flight dates and I don’t like this uncertainty.
Is it a better strategy to book the return flight, say, in January, and just go for the outbound flight now? (I’d have to book an LCC to somewhere in SE Asia for visa purposes.)
Dear moderators, I know I have a similar thread on my quest from several months ago. Please don’t merge this one.
If there is availability, M&M will show it online for almost all *A airlines, including TK and TG. Have you thought of doing the trip as revenue flights? LHG have had excellent deals from ARN and OSL to BKK recently. A quick and cheap repositioning to either of these may give you a flight in C for as low as 1500-1700 EUR. M&M will want ca. 600-700 EUR just in taxes.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
It is high season in Thailand then, as others suggested look for cash seats on other airlines
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:43 pm

On a side note, there is C availability from CDG or CPH to BKK with TG on 30 November, so easy to combine with either LH or SK
Old Sep 3, 2023, 12:42 am

I had the same problem couple of month ago, wanted to book M&M award Europe (Prague) to South East Asia, finally booked PE with Swiss to Singapore and C from KUL with Turkish, if I remember well there was almost zero availability in C for BKK/SIN, reasonable # of seats for KUL with Turkish
Old Sep 3, 2023, 5:32 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you book award tickets in Prem. Economy I doubt you will be able to upgrade (cash or miles) subsequently, but I may not be updated on this.
The only way to upgrade an award ticket (if upgrade is available) is paying for it at the airport check-in or on board.
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. I’m grateful for all the insights. I bit the bullet this morning and booked the flights as normal pay-with-cash Business tickets. Outbound with OS, return with LH. Total cost: €6600.
Maybe we’ll get another chance to burn up all those miles…
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Thanks to everyone. I’m grateful for all the insights. I bit the bullet this morning and booked the flights as normal pay-with-cash Business tickets. Outbound with OS, return with LH. Total cost: €6600.
Maybe we’ll get another chance to burn up all those miles…
As others said, better pricing if you just go ex BUD or ARN or other *A carriers & with dynamic award pricing, threatened award tickets will just get even less value than now….
Old Sep 3, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
…normal pay-with-cash Business tickets. Outbound with OS, return with LH. Total cost: €6600.
LHG is very grateful to have customers like you…
chris63 and Deckter like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by andywaw
The only way to upgrade an award ticket (if upgrade is available) is paying for it at the airport check-in or on board.
You can also "upgrade" with miles (you pay the miles difference) or you can place a bid on plusgrade (cash upgrade).
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
You can also "upgrade" with miles (you pay the miles difference) or you can place a bid on plusgrade (cash upgrade).
I don't think it is possible to upgrade an award ticket with miles. Have you actually done it?
Award ticket is X fare, and upgrade with miles (in the upgrade table) from X is not possible. For example, you can upgrade Business Class P, Z, C, J, D but X is not mentioned.
Please share your experience with upgrading award ticket with miles "difference".

Last edited by andywaw; Sep 5, 2023 at 1:19 am
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
I can confirm that I was able to place a bid for “l” ticket that was accepted and rebooked into “O”. At the airport I was once able to benefit from a paid airport upgrade offer from C to F that stayed in “I” but I was seated in F cabin.

Last edited by olm022; Sep 5, 2023 at 2:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.