Wiki Posts
Search

Uptrip app - gamification/NFT/card collecting & trading

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Uptrip app - gamification/NFT/card collecting & trading

Curious that this hasn't found its way into the LH forum yet.

LH IT, instead of working on things that, you know, make the travel experience better, have made... this.

https://www.uptrip.app/

Apparently the idea is that you scan your BPs, the app will offer you a selection of trading cards (which exist as NFTs because.... reasons...). 2 per flight.
You get a bunch of them, not repeating, and you can exchange them for rewards such as award and status miles, lounge vouchers, but up to FTL and (in the future) even SEN status for the year.

I... have mixed feelings.
Van_Looy and the810 like this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 17, 2023 at 5:46 am
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
I am surprised it took so long for someone to make a thread about it haha. I can't complain, got some free award/status miles for things I already paid for. It's an interesting concept if they add "exclusiveness" to cards eventually (like physical trading cards) with 1st edition, 2nd edition, etc. Could drive some value towards the cards. Rarity, etc. I mean it only matters if people get interested in it...if people don't show interest, it will just die off.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; DL PM; Hertz PC; Bonvoy Gold
It certainly is an interesting concept, though I fully agree that LH IT could have picked a more productive task. It would take a lot to really make this impactful to us as preexisting status holders, but for those that aren't, unless you are very unlucky, you could get FTL with 24 segments through this. (Possibly including award travel)
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by pdeut
It certainly is an interesting concept, though I fully agree that LH IT could have picked a more productive task. [...] (Possibly including award travel)
This was done by the Innohub and the implementation of the first few versions was terrible. Award travel counts, if you scan a BP it will generate two cards. I started using the app sometime in March and already got whatever is interesting from the travel in Q2. The only collections left are for lounge access, so I stopped scanning boarding passes... the evoucher one is interesting but I won't be on all 8 LH group airlines this year
Van_Looy and pdeut like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:47 am

I was quite amused by the apps message "...By the way, just a heads up that we gotta look at your redemption by hand...".

So, LH's idea of IT is sending the boarding pass to the intern, who then uses an abacus and scribbles the resulting reward on a post-it?
chris63, the810 and kttosia like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:51 am

There are only 88 rewards left for that evoucher. So, it won't last long anyway.

Pity that the cards are destroyed after redemption

Originally Posted by oliver2002
This was done by the Innohub and the implementation of the first few versions was terrible. Award travel counts, if you scan a BP it will generate two cards. I started using the app sometime in March and already got whatever is interesting from the travel in Q2. The only collections left are for lounge access, so I stopped scanning boarding passes... the evoucher one is interesting but I won't be on all 8 LH group airlines this year
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have collected a dozen cards and got few status miles. It is not a bad concept I wished they would made a rewards for some unique achievements like flying for 100 hours, on board longest LH flight, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The last LH gamification app (Blue Legends) ran for about 4 years: Lufthansa Launches "Blue Legends" app for "foursquare" users

Atleast this time you get a few goodies. And LH can go to the next conference and check some BS bingo boxes in a presentation like this: https://www.futuretravelexperience.c...nces/#ss-69262
koriobg likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The last LH gamification app (Blue Legends) ran for about 4 years: Lufthansa Launches "Blue Legends" app for "foursquare" users

Atleast this time you get a few goodies. And LH can go to the next conference and check some BS bingo boxes in a presentation like this: https://www.futuretravelexperience.c...nces/#ss-69262
Unfortunately, they failed to win, something called "UCplaces" did.

I'll admit that a self-guided audio tour feels just that bit more useful than collecting "NFTs". Even though I don't see what's it got to do with air travel as such.
At least it's app-based and not a separate device like that stupid thing KLM came up with in 2019.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 11:53 pm

I just hope they re-add the collections that give you premium (instead of status) miles before they shut this thing down again, so I can spend all my cards.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:09 am

I broke it already.

It doesn't like lx airtrain tickets - the app just hangs.

Wouldn't be LH IT without some bugs
LoungeLizzard, chris63 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by bobhope2
I broke it already.

It doesn't like lx airtrain tickets - the app just hangs.

Wouldn't be LH IT without some bugs

technically its operated by swiss railways, so just like codeshare flights with non supported airlines it will forever be stuck on generating cards or just say airline not supported
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm a huge sucker for gamification, and being stuck with LHG on most of my intra-EU travel (including obscene examples such as SPU-FRA-FCO that I'll be doing in a month), this brings an element of fun to the whole thing. I hope it gains traction and doesn't get shut down like Blue Legends did.
koriobg likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
I'm a huge sucker for gamification, and being stuck with LHG on most of my intra-EU travel (including obscene examples such as SPU-FRA-FCO that I'll be doing in a month), this brings an element of fun to the whole thing. I hope it gains traction and doesn't get shut down like Blue Legends did.
I mean they already removed all collectioms that give you premium miles and instead you can now redeem for....a postage card. You can guess which direction this thing is gonna go
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ArnoldB
I mean they already removed all collectioms that give you premium miles and instead you can now redeem for....a postage card. You can guess which direction this thing is gonna go
not really true - "luthansa hubs" and "plane collector" are still available - giving you 1000 status miles each for 5 cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.