Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH lounge access: does a child count as guest for *G?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
LH lounge access: does a child count as guest for *G?

Will be traveling to Asia on LH with the family and we have quite long stops in MUC, FRA, BKK and SIN. We are two adults and 3 kids (youngest is 7) and both adults have EBG. I don’t suppose there is any chance to get the last kid into the lounges - or do they make exceptions sometimes?

Am I also right that only LH’s own frequent flyers are able to purchase access?

Am I missing anything that could give us all access on Economy tickets?
Old May 30, 2023, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SASegments
Will be traveling to Asia on LH with the family and we have quite long stops in MUC, FRA, BKK and SIN. We are two adults and 3 kids (youngest is 7) and both adults have EBG. I don’t suppose there is any chance to get the last kid into the lounges - or do they make exceptions sometimes?

Pre pandemic Lufthansa sold access to their business lounges, but not Senator. I am not sure if they still do that.

In Bangkok and Singapore it will be at the graces of Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, no Lufthansa lounges there. I am pretty certain SQ does not sell access, nor be particularly grandiose with the exceptions, so in Singapore you will more than likely need to avail on terminal F&B. I don't know about Thai, but a guess would be the same end result as for Singapore.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:47 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
If you happen to have an Amex Platinum, that would sort out your lounge access in FRA and MUC.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
Originally Posted by Deckter
If you happen to have an Amex Platinum, that would sort out your lounge access in FRA and MUC.
I don't (live in Denmark) but I have a Priority Pass. In FRA at least I don't think there are any lounges airside and I don't assume there will be any third party lounges in any of those airports that accept both Priority Pass and (free) access for *A Gold.

Anyways, thanks for your responses.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:26 pm

I was in FRA in April and unable to buy access to the LH lounges, regardless of which LH lounge. I have EBD, but I was connecting on an airline that was not part of the LH/Star Alliance lounge program.

edit: just to clarify, I flew in on LH but was connecting to a non-LH/Star alliance flight (but somehow it was ticketed and codeshared as LH). So not sure if they would have allowed me to buy lounge access as non *A gold but flying in LH metal?

Last edited by SkOrdBgo; May 30, 2023 at 5:57 pm
Old May 30, 2023, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SkOrdBgo
I was in FRA in April and unable to buy access to the LH lounges, regardless of which LH lounge. I have EBD, but I was connecting on an airline that was not part of the LH/Star Alliance lounge program.
Back pre pandemic you needed to be on a Lufthansa flight.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
LH no longer sells access to own lounges at FRA/MUC, they may still do so at outstations.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gojko88
LH no longer sells access to own lounges at FRA/MUC, they may still do so at outstations.
Good to know. Was not sure if it went away.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Forget about them giving you exception. These dragons even put up their faces when we were approaching the lounge desk with the kids. They have almost prepare their speech of saying you can't guest more than 1. I normally grabbed all the BPs and told them that we are all *G. A lot of them look shocked.

A lot of EBG thinks that bringing their whole family is a *G policy and I saw a EBG arguing with a lounge dragon at IST lounge because the husband has EBG and want to bring in the wife and a 2 years old. The wife kept saying "the child is only 2 year old" and "SAS always let us into the lounge".

Anyways, maybe another pax going into the lounge can guest your youngest in? I don't know if *A has rolled out the policy that someone you guest has to be on the same flight as you.

If you have long stops at FRA and MUC, there are supermarkets at the landside where you can buy something cheap to eat. Also, if the stops are long enough, you can even go out as MUC has a shopping center like thing just outside the terminal.

I think AMEX plat can let in 4. We were lucky enough at LHR that the dragon said if we write a good review she would let us in and we did. I did give a good review in return.

Check loungebuddy if they sell the access that you need. Normally they are too expensive to be worthwhile in my opinion.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Forget about them giving you exception. These dragons even put up their faces when we were approaching the lounge desk with the kids. They have almost prepare their speech of saying you can't guest more than 1. I normally grabbed all the BPs and told them that we are all *G. A lot of them look shocked.

A lot of EBG thinks that bringing their whole family is a *G policy and I saw a EBG arguing with a lounge dragon at IST lounge because the husband has EBG and want to bring in the wife and a 2 years old. The wife kept saying "the child is only 2 year old" and "SAS always let us into the lounge".

Anyways, maybe another pax going into the lounge can guest your youngest in? I don't know if *A has rolled out the policy that someone you guest has to be on the same flight as you.

If you have long stops at FRA and MUC, there are supermarkets at the landside where you can buy something cheap to eat. Also, if the stops are long enough, you can even go out as MUC has a shopping center like thing just outside the terminal.

I think AMEX plat can let in 4. We were lucky enough at LHR that the dragon said if we write a good review she would let us in and we did. I did give a good review in return.

Check loungebuddy if they sell the access that you need. Normally they are too expensive to be worthwhile in my opinion.
Unfortunately:

"You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day. As of May 3, 2021, the guest must be travelling on the same flight."

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
nacho, SK2751 and GUWonder like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Only Senators and HON can bring in a guest, their partner and children under 18. All need to be on the same flight. *G is one guest only, sometimes infants <2 yr are allowed. SAS is equally vigorous and offer entry to additional guests for 250 SEK/person. Lufthansa currently has no payment collection system installed at lounges so you can only get lounge passes via lounge buddy in advance.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Deckter
Unfortunately:

"You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day. As of May 3, 2021, the guest must be travelling on the same flight."

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
United Club and AC Maple Leaf Club members — those are considered paid memberships — can bring one guest even when the same day flights from the same airport are for different Star Alliance flights. Just something to consider if wanting to bring in a person on a different Star Alliance flight.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I don't (live in Denmark) but I have a Priority Pass. In FRA at least I don't think there are any lounges airside and I don't assume there will be any third party lounges in any of those airports that accept both Priority Pass and (free) access for *A Gold.
Both BKK and SIN have a ton of Priority Pass lounges. IIRC, none of them have restrictions on the number of guests you can bring in, but obviously, it's always subject to availability. Of course, depending on your PP membership type/source, whether or not both you and your SO have it, and how much you have to pay for guests, it may or may not be worth it for all five of you. Also, in BKK, there appears to be a TK lounge that's part of PP. You can definitely get access, but you may have to use your PP for yourself and 2 kids while your SO uses their EBG + 1 kid. (EBG and PP might not stack. Since PP requires a BP in your name, you probably can't do EBG +1, EBG +1, and PP for the last kid)

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Only Senators and HON can bring in a guest, their partner and children under 18. All need to be on the same flight. *G is one guest only, sometimes infants <2 yr are allowed. SAS is equally vigorous and offer entry to additional guests for 250 SEK/person.
AFAIK, the children under 2 exemption should be *A wide (Guests section), but individual lounge agents may or may not agree...
Old May 31, 2023, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tennen

AFAIK, the children under 2 exemption should be *A wide (Guests section), but individual lounge agents may or may not agree...
Indeed. It says “Children under the age of two may accompany the customer to the lounge and are not considered as guests.”
Tennen and nacho like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 4:56 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
While the OP does have EBG, this thread deals mostly with LH lounge access rules and is therefore better suited in the LH M&M forums.

- Nick | SAS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.