Charge for bike as extra luggage as A3*G on OS.

Old Jan 24, 23, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Charge for bike as extra luggage as A3*G on OS.

I want to fly from BHX-VIE with my mountain bike, which will be packed into a bike case. I will likely fly direct with OS. As a A3*G would my bike be free of charge as my extra piece of luggage? Or is it more complex than that?
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:44 am

I believe your question is answered on the austrian website for Sports baggage:
Can I replace the baggage allowance with sports equipment?
Yes, you can replace your hold baggage with sports equipment so long as it does not exceed the number and weight allowed.

So, make the bicycle your main hold luggage included in your ticket
and make your suitcase your extra piece of luggage of *G

And you need to call them, since:

Register
Please inform us by telephone or email beforehand because our capacity for sports bags is limited. Carriage is only guaranteed once you have confirmation
Please contact our help desk on +43 51766 1000
giorginho likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Or is it more complex than that?
It appears that you can check it for free as part of your baggage allowance - if you have a baggage allowance as part of the ticket, and if the bike and bike case don't exceed the weight limit of your baggage allowance.

https://www.austrian.com/gb/en/sports-baggage

You have to book it in advance anyway, so I would advise you to ring Austrian Airlines to check.

Also - beware if you are expecting to carry your bike on the basis of having a "plus one" baggage allowance as *G; I have my doubts whether that would work, but rather that you need a ticket with an actual baggage allowance included.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 24, 23 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:08 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Light fares (Not including any luggage allowance) do not get a +1 pc of additional luggage through status. However from the above I guess it should work on a standard fare, where you should then be able to check a regular luggage and the bike. One of those two being your +1 through *A status.
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Thanks both! I always avoid light fares anyway.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:51 pm

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
I want to fly from BHX-VIE with my mountain bike, which will be packed into a bike case. I will likely fly direct with OS. As a A3*G would my bike be free of charge as my extra piece of luggage? Or is it more complex than that?
I flew with an MTB on OS last week from BER-VIE-BKK on a M&B mileage ticket in I class. The A3*G card gives an extra piece of checked luggage which was used for free carriage of the cycle. As other posters note, the cycle must be pre-registered but I have never had a problem with this on around 20 such OS flights (or indeed with LH). By contrast, TK would charge you 90 each way for the cycle irrespective of booking class.
8420PR, romans and roberino like this.

Search this Thread