Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NO EU 261 payment from lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

NO EU 261 payment from lufthansa

I had an EU 261 claim from Lufthansa in July 2022. In oct 2022 they agreed to pay and asked for bank details. In "some days" I would receive payment. Some days have passed and indeed no payment has arrived. In 2022 I had EU261 claims with multiple other airlines. All paid in a reasonable amount of time after a little bit of pestering. Not LH. It's been almost 7 months now. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; DL PM; Hertz PC; Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by frugaltraveler10012
I had an EU 261 claim from Lufthansa in July 2022. In oct 2022 they agreed to pay and asked for bank details. In "some days" I would receive payment. Some days have passed and indeed no payment has arrived. In 2022 I had EU261 claims with multiple other airlines. All paid in a reasonable amount of time after a little bit of pestering. Not LH. It's been almost 7 months now. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Happens frequently—time for the ombudsman: https://soep-online.de/en/
weero, bhomburg and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:37 pm

An ombudsman helps, if the airlines doesn’t want to pay. If the airline has agreed to pay already, it’s better to ask them about the status of the payment or to remind them that you are still waiting for your money.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN; DL PM; Hertz PC; Bonvoy Gold
Last year, I had a case where LH not only agreed to a refund, but claimed to have sent the refund... when Söp got involved they suddenly realized they hadn't paid me
Grog, demue and chris63 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 7:13 pm

LH seems to be still at it, or rather still not at it when it comes to EU 261 claims processing and payments.

I submitted a claim for very straightfoward case in November. We were ticketed on ATH-FRA on LH with a connection to the last FRA-SFO flight of the day on UA (all on the same ticket). The ATH-FRA LH flight arrived late into FRA, under the 45 minute minimum connect time and at a remote bus gate to boot. We didn't make it to the gate for UA FRA-SFO flight in time because of LH's delay. The reason our ATH-FRA flight was late was because the inbound aircraft that flew from FRA-ATH was late. And the reason that flight was late we were told was "catering".

LH FRA airport customer service agents handled the "duty of care" obligations very professionally and quickly. They put us up in an airport hotel and rebooked us on a LH FRA-SFO flight for the next morning.

However, the LH EU 261 claim process has been weird, slow, confusing, frustrating, and not very professional.
Grog, chris63, hugolover and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Quokka
However, the LH EU 261 claim process has been weird, slow, confusing, frustrating, and not very professional.
This is just normal for LH
Grog and weero like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
.. Anyone else in a similar situation?
LH is also excellen at this when it comes to broken luggage and irrop related hotel expenses. They are fairly friendly at promising payment in those cases. So that is different from 261 related payments.
Grog likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There seems to be some issue with their payment processing. See this example: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34891603-post2789.html

Maybe write a similar request to the LH lurkers asking to check why the payment has not been processed?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
LH is also excellen at this when it comes to broken luggage and irrop related hotel expenses. They are fairly friendly at promising payment in those cases. So that is different from 261 related payments.
Agreed, just received my expenses refund related to Dec.15/16 irrops. All processed in less than 30 days from claiming.
koriobg likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:26 pm

Issue in June 2022. After several months they agreed to pay EUR 2515. Said payment was coming back in December. Got notice wire transfer failed. Now they claim they are trying again. Ugh.
Grog and weero like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by NightFly
Agreed, just received my expenses refund related to Dec.15/16 irrops. All processed in less than 30 days from claiming.
I was somewhat sarcastic - LH is great a promising to pay for those damages, following up, not so much.
NightFly likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Every other star alliance airline I had a claim with in 2022 paid after a little push back of 1-2 emails and a few weeks. With Lufthansa it is complete deception and delays. I guess it is profitable to hold onto potentially millions of passengers money in this environment for interest purposes etc
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:39 pm

For those going through the EU 261 claim process, some notes on LH's weird, confusing and non-professional process:

Be forewarned that the text script that LH email reps use may bizarrely ask you to email them your personal bank details without LH telling what their "offer" is exactly. No mention of amount.

Thank you for your email dated XXX

We realize that you have been waiting on our response to your claim for a significant amount of time and we would like to apologize for this delay. This certainly does not reflect the standard of service you rightly expect from us.

In order to resolve your in the hope that this pragmatic solution contributes to a positive conclusion of your travel experience. Please note that this offer is without prejudice to the legal and factual situation.

Please provide us with your bank details in order for us to transfer this amount to your account.
The customer is left in the dark whether there really is an "offer" and if so what's the amount, or whether this is just collecting bank details.

That's what's happened to me, and also to my travel companion on her separate claim, and apparently others who've filed claims with other LH group airlines:

https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...tomer-service/

Last edited by Quokka; Jan 20, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes the same thing happened to me. A promise of payment and then nothing arrived
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
I have a quick question for any experts out there regarding if I am entitle to compensation for either EU 261 or at least reimbursement under duty of care.

My 4Y flight from TPA-FRA on dec. 16th was canceled the day before. After spending much time on the phone I was finally allowed to be booked on the flight from MCO-FRA on the 16th. (all other options they provided would have been for the following day).

Is there a case for EU261 for the canceled flight, even though with the new routing I arrived at my final destination only 2 hours later than the original flight?
4Y is calming weather for in Europe for the delay. Which granted was a mess that week, but snow is to be expected in Europe in December. The flight that was supposed to operate the flight for that day arrived in Frankfurt over 6 hours late from Punta Cana. So my argument would be more on an operational side, not having enough aircraft.

Second, under duty of care, would I be entitled to reimbursement of the transportation cost from Tampa to Orlando? ($130 usd uber)

Eurowings Discover has claimed weather and taken no responsibility for the cancelation in their first responds. In their second responds they still claim weather and no change in compensation, but out of the goodness of their heat offered me 20 euros for the taxi.

Leave it or keep fighting Eurowings Discover?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.