Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Downgraded Lufthansa First to Business on day of departure - options, advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Just saw that my LH flight from FRA-GRU today has been downgraded from a 747-8 to a 747-400 (Dec 16). I'd booked in J and had a confirmed points upgrade to F and have now been rebooked in J. I'm traveling AMS-FRA-GRU-SCL (single ticket, LH issued) and seems like slim pickings for alternate routings/options in F. Not sure how helpful staff will be at an outstation like AMS. Any suggestions on what I should expect? Am I still eligible for EU downgrade compensation given that I'd used points to upgrade to F? Zero communication from LH and I happened to notice the change on my own. I'd much prefer to fly in F than get any downgrade compensation, but don't see anything in the way of alternate routings.
Grog likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by gcashin
Just saw that my LH flight from FRA-GRU today has been downgraded from a 747-8 to a 747-400 (Dec 16). I'd booked in J and had a confirmed points upgrade to F and have now been rebooked in J. I'm traveling AMS-FRA-GRU-SCL (single ticket, LH issued) and seems like slim pickings for alternate routings/options in F. Not sure how helpful staff will be at an outstation like AMS. Any suggestions on what I should expect? Am I still eligible for EU downgrade compensation given that I'd used points to upgrade to F? Zero communication from LH and I happened to notice the change on my own. I'd much prefer to fly in F than get any downgrade compensation, but don't see anything in the way of alternate routings.
My guess is that you will be receiving 1000 EUR downgrade compensation but will have to fight for it.

As to rebooking, I'd expect LH to be rebooking its paid F customers to LX if there is any space available. LH will not rebook you in F outside the LHG so you can forget AF P...
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call the LH first hotline and ask to be rebooked onto LX.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...s-hotline.html
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I had this problem in September and still fighting for compensation ... with SOEP right now after 3 months of silence from LH.

ZRH-GRU is F0J0 ... calling the F hotline is your best bet. Good luck!
weero and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
My guess is that LH will offer to refund the miles/points used for the upgrade and nothing more. To LH the ticket is a J ticket and the upgrade can be reversed/refunded if needed. I think you will have to fight to get something more than this, i.e. if EUR 1,000 is offered as compensation I would take that and be satisfied.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Downgrade compensation on the day of departure is set at 4000/2000/1000€ F/A/O.
Unterwegs, behuman and 8420PR like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Downgrade compensation on the day of departure is set at 4000/2000/1000€ F/A/O.
unless you take them to court. 75% of segment value can be a lot more than 4k/2k/1k ... EC reg 261 applies.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Call the LH first hotline and ask to be rebooked onto LX.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...s-hotline.html
Yes call First hotline, via EZE should be an option
weero likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Yes call First hotline, via EZE should be an option
The EZE flight is also showing F0A0 today it looks like. The BA and AF options are all on three class aircraft as well, with no first class. I don't think you have any good options I'm afraid.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Wrong thread
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, there is no way LH is going to rebook a pax via EZE or OAL (except LH Group) to GRU if there is no F seat. Much easier and cheaper to return the miles/points for the upgrade or pay a 1,000 EUR to get this over with.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Guys, there is no way LH is going to rebook a pax via EZE or OAL (except LH Group) to GRU if there is no F seat. Much easier and cheaper to return the miles/points for the upgrade or pay a 1,000 EUR to get this over with.
I had no problem getting FRA/ZRH-BKK flights rebooked via HKG and SIN when my planes got downgraded earlier this year. Just needed to check availability on my end beforehand and ask the FC hotline to do the change, which they performed without questions. (think one lady just had to ask for her supervisor how to get the codeshare working between HKG-BKK)
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I had no problem getting FRA/ZRH-BKK flights rebooked via HKG and SIN when my planes got downgraded earlier this year. Just needed to check availability on my end beforehand and ask the FC hotline to do the change, which they performed without questions. (think one lady just had to ask for her supervisor how to get the codeshare working between HKG-BKK)
Yes, but was it
1. same-day operational change (FRA-GRU is filed as 748)
2. upgrade, not purchased as F?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, I don't expect LH to go the extra mile for a UA or AC FF who has upgraded with miles/points.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Afraid not, it was companion fare bought at an outrageously low price

Bit sad if they treat upgraders as inferiors. After all they paid for their J tix and they earned the miles...
Grog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.