Wiki Posts
Search

AC B777 vs. LH A340 in economy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by tracon
Wow - Eurowings to YYZ as well as YVR instead of LH mainline - seriously?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tracon
Of course that would happen to my plans. 🥲

I was thinking planning on booking tickets tomorrow. So those who are already booked will have their ticket transferred to the Eurowings flight instead? I hope this doesn’t mess with the prices. And can I still use my UA ff number to get miles for a Eurowings flight?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
Of course that would happen to my plans. 🥲

I was thinking planning on booking tickets tomorrow. So those who are already booked will have their ticket transferred to the Eurowings flight instead? I hope this doesn’t mess with the prices. And can I still use my UA ff number to get miles for a Eurowings flight?
Looks like it.MileagePlus members can earn award miles and Premier qualifying credits on eligible Eurowings flights. To receive mileage credit, present your MileagePlus number when you make reservations and make sure that it appears on your boarding pass at check-in. Also, MileagePlus members receive the following benefits on Eurowings-operated flights:
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for priority check-in and boarding where available
  • Premier Gold, Platinum and 1K®: members are eligible for access to Lufthansa lounges where available

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...eurowings.html

I thought LH was wet leasing the aircraft with LH flight numbers (like they have in Europe) but these come with 4Y codes.

Not sure what the downgrade for YYZ says about market conditions there.
Nayef likes this.

Last edited by yulred; Sep 28, 2022 at 4:52 pm
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

How's the service on 4Y? I've never tried it and literally don't know anyone in person who has.

I'll know it's awful if you guys suggest AC instead.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:03 pm

How's the service on 4Y? I've never tried it and literally don't know anyone in person who has.

No idea, but there’s a relatively recent FRA-SLC review.

Looks like the standard LH product with different branding (and they even kept the cheese haha).

You’d be pretty hard pressed to find anyonewho’d recommend spending more time in an AC 77W over this.
Nayef likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

There are all the other *A choices available to me on my chosen day of travel:

Of course I'd still rather go nonstop even if it's on 4Y because I'm trying to minimize my connecting flights as much as I can. Plus I'd rather not need to wake up stupid early (probably wouldn't sleep at all the night before) unless there's some fatal flaw in the 4Y flight that I don't know about. What do you guys think?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yulred
No idea, but there’s a relatively recent FRA-SLC review.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1SNOGcHYRfs

Looks like the standard LH product with different branding (and they even kept the cheese haha).

You’d be pretty hard pressed to find anyonewho’d recommend spending more time in an AC 77W over this.
I was just watching that actually haha. And it doesn't seem different from any LH flight I've taken before. Don't know if they charge money in Y for drinks and food, but if those are free and there's a power plug in Y, I think I'm still opting for it (especially now knowing I can rack up the miles on my UA account). I just wondered because I've never really read anything positive about 4Y.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

Flew them a few years ago BRU-YUL and they were fine - not enough reason to change my earlier opinion to fly direct from YVR to Germany.
Nayef likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:17 pm

I was just watching that actually haha. And it doesn't seem different from any LH flight I've taken before. Don't know if they charge money in Y for drinks and food, but if those are free and there's a power plug in Y, I think I'm still opting for it (especially now knowing I can rack up the miles on my UA account). I just wondered because I've never really read anything positive about 4Y.
Meals are free, but the charging options might be limited to USB only.

“In Economy Class, guests can look forward to a special and high-quality travel experience, with all meals and non-alcoholic beverages included in the price. In addition, there is a diverse Buy-on-Board offering from which travelers can select further snacks and alcoholic beverages.”

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/th...-discover.html

That “additional” BoB is being rolled out across LH mainline too, but it doesn’t replace the free meals.

As to your other options, it looks like LH471 (YYZ) is also going to 4Y.
Nayef likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I see someone beat me to the sub, but decided to come back and put in my 2 cents in anyway.

Google is your friend

It does not look like Aero Lopa has seatmaps, but I am guessing it will be 2-4-2 seating, and I value seat above service, so would not automatically go with AC.
Nayef likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the insight.

Originally Posted by yulred
Meals are free, but the charging options might be limited to USB only.

“In Economy Class, guests can look forward to a special and high-quality travel experience, with all meals and non-alcoholic beverages included in the price. In addition, there is a diverse Buy-on-Board offering from which travelers can select further snacks and alcoholic beverages.”

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/th...-discover.html

That “additional” BoB is being rolled out across LH mainline too, but it doesn’t replace the free meals.

As to your other options, it looks like LH471 (YYZ) is also going to 4Y.
Seatguru claims that the A330-300 has power outlets in Y but not on A330-200. The release says the 200 will be on "select" dates so I hope it isn't on my chosen date. 🥲 Don't think it'll be a dealbreaker still.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Since this thread is becoming more and more about 4Y, I think the better place for it to reside is the LH forum. As such, I'm sending it over there.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
4Y 71 YVR & 79 YYZ both are operated with an A330 in 30C/28E/225Y config,

Ie standard LH equipment, probably on one of the 7 D-AIKx series A330 that were transferred from LH to 4Y this year.
Nayef likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.