FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   AC B777 vs. LH A340 in economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/2095539-ac-b777-vs-lh-a340-economy.html)

Nayef Sep 25, 2022 8:35 pm

AC B777 vs. LH A340 in economy

I haven't flowing AC outside of North America so I wanted to get some insight.

I'm planning to fly out of YVR to FRA in the first week of December. My options are either nonstop on LH on an A340 or AC on a B777-3000ER (connecting in YUL). Both AC legs YVR-YUL and YUL-FRA are on B777s, but the connection time at YUL is only an hour. I'm used to flying LH for 15 years and their service the past year or so has not been great. I know many on FT, especially in the Canada forum, deride flying AC, but I'd like some insight if anyone can compare LH and AC as TATL services, and the economy seat, food offerings, etc. I've read that AC offers pancakes as breakfast food and to me that's already a step up from LH (if that's still the case). Of course I'd prefer the convenience of going nonstop with LH, especially since it departs at 2 pm instead of the AC YVR-YUL flight at 9:30 am, but I'm eager to try AC on a long, intercontinental flight.

Thanks in advance.

EmailKid Sep 25, 2022 9:54 pm

This would be a no brainer for me :idea:

LH 2-4-2 v. AC 3-4-3 :eek: :(

Aero Lopa is your friend.

Not sure if Emirates was the pioneer, but I remember flying them HKG-BKK about 15 years ago not knowing about this horrible configuration and kept thinking that Emirates does not fly 747 ...... glad it was a short flight.

yulred Sep 25, 2022 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 34630300)
I haven't flowing AC outside of North America so I wanted to get some insight.

I'm planning to fly out of YVR to FRA in the first week of December. My options are either nonstop on LH on an A340 or AC on a B777-3000ER (connecting in YUL). Both AC legs YVR-YUL and YUL-FRA are on B777s, but the connection time at YUL is only an hour. I'm used to flying LH for 15 years and their service the past year or so has not been great. I know many on FT, especially in the Canada forum, deride flying AC, but I'd like some insight if anyone can compare LH and AC as TATL services, and the economy seat, food offerings, etc. I've read that AC offers pancakes as breakfast food and to me that's already a step up from LH (if that's still the case). Of course I'd prefer the convenience of going nonstop with LH, especially since it departs at 2 pm instead of the AC YVR-YUL flight at 9:30 am, but I'm eager to try AC on a long, intercontinental flight.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you’re trying to collect SQMs/SQDs, go with the LH direct flight. Here’s why:

Seat: AC 777Y is 10 across (3-4-3); LH 340 is 2-4-2. The seat width on AC 777s is worse than on any AC or LH airbus. This is compounded by a relatively worse Y pax to Y restroom ratio. The 777 cabins are jammed in tight, which also tends to be a problem for overhead space.

Catering: AC Y TATL catering is bottom-of-the-barrel - think AA/UA in 2010s. LH Y catering is generally superior on quality and quantity. For example, AC Y does not offer cheese and crackers, which LH does. In addition, YVR-YUL is strictly buy on board, which can be a slow and tedious process depending on where you sit. Not sure why you think AC is serving pancakes in Y. It’s improved from the infamous (and inedible) banana bread to a croissant and yogurt, but LH will be at least the same.

Here’s a relatively recent trip report of the TATL Y catering going into YUL to give you an idea of how AC caters TATL Y:

https://www.businessinsider.com/flew...iew-2022-7?amp

There are any number of videos on YouTube that can also give you a better idea.

IFE: is a wash. LH tends to have a slightly bigger selection, but AC has more interesting stuff (YMMV).

Cabin upkeep/cleanliness: is generally a lot better on LH than on AC. It’s a more “premium” carrier in that sense.

Connection: a 1 hr connection at YUL is just about doable in normal times. But these aren’t normal times. You might make it, but your bags might not. The odds of delays are high (although that might work in your favour).

Unless you’re chasing status, going through YUL is akin to afflicting punishment on yourself. More time in a tighter seat, worse catering (none on the first leg), lower washroom ratios (aka line ups) etc - not worth your time or money. It’s one of the worst TATL Y products these days - and that’s without factoring in OTP problems at Canadian airport. I’d pay a big premium to avoid that connection. AC Y makes LH Y look very good in comparison (despite LH’s very mediocre product and longstanding contempt for Y passengers).

Ditto for PY, but AC J is better than LH J. And you’ll get pancakes in J on YVR-YUL.

arf04 Sep 25, 2022 10:22 pm

Yep, no brainer for me too! LH for this one. I have not flown AC economy on a widebody for quite some time, but I am skeptical that pancakes are served.

In any case, a one hour layover in YUL is risky to me so that alone would make the LH flight a better choice for me.

The Lev Sep 26, 2022 12:15 am

I would concur with the other posters if you are travelling in Y and don't need AC status...
  • Flight time more convenient
  • Avoids a stop-over in YUL with relatively tight connection at a time when flights are still delayed with some regularity
  • Seat width better on A340
  • LH meals somewhat better
  • Total miles flown significantly less (unless you see more miles as a positive)
If you were travelling in J or able to use eUpgrades, I would answer differently.

Nayef Sep 26, 2022 12:21 am

Thank you all for the clarification and advice. :)

Symmetre Sep 26, 2022 2:21 pm

They don't refer to the 77W as the slave ship for nothing.

ChrisA330 Sep 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 34632643)
They don't refer to the 77W as the slave ship for nothing.

That was only ever a reference for the HD version, not for the entire fleet.

And can we just stop with that term now?

yulred Sep 26, 2022 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 34632690)

From a traveller perspective, there’s no difference between the Y product on the 400 seater and the 450 seater.

While I don’t like the term being used, I don’t think it’s surprising that it’s earned a derogatory/negative nickname. As overall TATL/long haul/ultra long haul products go, the overall AC 77W is one of the weakest overall products out there right now. I know CR was planning on overhauling Y catering pre-pandemic, but that doesn’t seem to be on the horizon anymore. Or maybe he just meant switching out the banana bread which (thankfully) has happened.

Stil Sep 26, 2022 4:39 pm

I agree that LH is the better choice and the FA might even throw in the odd smile, which I'm yet to see on a AC bird in or out of YUL, (which is my commute from Europe) except during the hight of the pandemic, with more crew then passengers...I think I saw a slight twitch once?

Symmetre Sep 26, 2022 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 34632690)

In all versions, the Y cabin in a 77W is essentially a big CRJ.

YVR4Ever Sep 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stil (Post 34633076)
I agree that LH is the better choice and the FA might even throw in the odd smile, which I'm yet to see on a AC bird in or out of YUL, (which is my commute from Europe) except during the hight of the pandemic, with more crew then passengers...I think I saw a slight twitch once?

YMMV, but I have had very good luck with the crew on widebodies YUL-YVR lately, including one of the best SD's I've been lucky enough to fly with.

On OP's question, I agree with others that LH is preferable in Y, but I don't think it is as significant a difference as others are claiming. I prefer the AC IFE by a significant margin. One advantage of flying LH from YVR is the opportunity to spend time in the excellent international MLL, particularly if Charlie is bartending.

ChrisA330 Sep 26, 2022 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 34633409)
In all versions, the Y cabin in a 77W is essentially a big CRJ.

I 100% agree, and actively avoid flying AC on Y on a wide body.

I was merely pointing out the origin of the term and that maybe the term can stop being used.

FWIW ‘Big Bertha’ was the other nickname given to the 450 seat 77W.

Stil Sep 27, 2022 3:58 am

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever (Post 34633415)
YMMV, but I have had very good luck with the crew on widebodies YUL-YVR lately, including one of the best SD's I've been lucky enough to fly with.

Good to hear! I really appreciate the times when service is a bit more personal and not just who can get the cart fastest through the aisle.

tracon Sep 28, 2022 3:21 pm

The choice is now AC vs. 4Y.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220928-lh4ynw22ca