Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrive in FRA in F, use FCT for next flight on a separate ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by vantage03
Stupid bloody rule… I mean, what does it matter?

I’ll never understand how LH execs can sit around a table and decide that such confusing, consumer-unfriendly rules are a great idea…
I think it's a great rule. It's not consumer unfriendly. It's cost optimizer and tricking unfriendly.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by athome
I think it's a great rule. It's not consumer unfriendly. It's cost optimizer and tricking unfriendly.
I think the rule gets the targeted people, as described by Chris, and also others.

Miles & More were unable to book the Intranet-German feeder on the same ticket as the F long-haul in a few days, as the booking class for C awards was not available, even though the feeder is usually included. So I said f#%* it and bought a ticket for the short hop to FRA. Spending the additional money on the feeder now means that I cannot use the FCT on the way back. Don’t think that’s exactly the case LH was trying to target with the rule.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chris63
Well the reasoning behind that as explained to me was inbound F pax who were booked on Life Miles awards & then booked el cheapo intra EU separate. tickets & the FCT & transfer to the aircraft has cost implications.
I think the percentage of LH F pax on Lifemiles tix is minuscule and they aren’t creating general rules which affect all pax based around them. (If they actually are doing that, they’re even more out of touch than I give them credit for). They could just ban partner award pax if they wanted to block this scenario?

The rule doesn’t affect me as HON, but I feel for those who it does catch out. Imagine making a legit incoming F pax do a walk of shame back to the main terminal just because of separate tix? Most people I know outside of the FT world wouldn’t even understand the concept.

Or imagine buying an F ticket to FRA as a hub for your European holiday or business trip, to give you the flexibility to go anywhere… Exactly what LH wants, no? Then imagine being rejected because you wanted flexibility? We all know LH isn’t going to let you change short haul destination city (even within the same region) on a longhaul connecting itinerary.. so then what? It’s just mean, unclear, and unnecessary.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Didn't the published rules pre-Covid say that you can only use the FCT if your short-haul connection after the long-haul arrival in F is on the same ticket? Pretty sure that was the case. Don't know whether it was really enforced, never tried.

Edit: found the footnote that changed the rules in 2017:
"Gäste, die zu ihrem First Class Flug einen Anschlussflug nutzen, haben Zugang zu den First Class Einrichtungen, sofern die First Class Reise durchgängig gebucht wurde. "
Form then on, the use of the FCT was limited to pax with a connection on LHG metal on the same ticket as the F-arrival
Is this one booking/PNR (which can have multiple tickets), or one ticket? Many airlines make policy distinctions between the two.
Where did you find this.. are there any more details?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
I think the rule gets the targeted people, as described by Chris, and also others.

Miles & More were unable to book the Intranet-German feeder on the same ticket as the F long-haul in a few days, as the booking class for C awards was not available, even though the feeder is usually included. So I said f#%* it and bought a ticket for the short hop to FRA. Spending the additional money on the feeder now means that I cannot use the FCT on the way back. Don’t think that’s exactly the case LH was trying to target with the rule.
For sure that wasn’t part of the plan & demonstrates the fallout from imposing such rules…
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
I think the percentage of LH F pax on Lifemiles tix is minuscule and they aren’t creating general rules which affect all pax based around them. (If they actually are doing that, they’re even more out of touch than I give them credit for). They could just ban partner award pax if they wanted to block this scenario?

The rule doesn’t affect me as HON, but I feel for those who it does catch out. Imagine making a legit incoming F pax do a walk of shame back to the main terminal just because of separate tix? Most people I know outside of the FT world wouldn’t even understand the concept.

Or imagine buying an F ticket to FRA as a hub for your European holiday or business trip, to give you the flexibility to go anywhere… Exactly what LH wants, no? Then imagine being rejected because you wanted flexibility? We all know LH isn’t going to let you change short haul destination city (even within the same region) on a longhaul connecting itinerary.. so then what? It’s just mean, unclear, and unnecessary.
Does’t affect me either as HON, i’m just relaying what i was told.

I have used LM quite a lot in the past when it was easy to get LH F awards & they were incredibly cheap

The rule was imposed due to the cost of Limousine service, since inbound F pax can still use FCLA & they keep changing the rules, used to be HON can guest in Children, then Children under 18, we could guest PAX in on *A flights, now they need to be on same flight, what’s coming next ?

And just look at that barking mad rule LX had, no FCL access for F pax on a UA ticket flying LX metal, at least that rule was finally ditched.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quail
Is this one booking/PNR (which can have multiple tickets), or one ticket? Many airlines make policy distinctions between the two.
Where did you find this.. are there any more details?
It’s one ticket or one PNR containing separate tickets, purchased together since they won’t merge the PNR with separately purchased tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
It’s one ticket or one PNR containing separate tickets, purchased together since they won’t merge the PNR with separately purchased tickets.
I'm more thinking about a TA booking, rather than what they will and won't merge. But regardless, even if purchased together it could still be advantageous since changing the shorthaul destination would be less affected by the penalties/restrictions/fare difference of the longhaul fare.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:28 am

Well the reasoning behind that as explained to me was inbound F pax who were booked on Life Miles awards & then booked el cheapo intra EU separate. tickets & the FCT & transfer to the aircraft has cost implications.
Sounds weird, as LifeMiles awards are actually cheaper if you include an intra-EU flight in economy or business.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
I can understand the separate ticket rule. FCT/FCL access is for an itinerary which includes F, or for HONs. It’s opening up a can of worms to say you only have to be in F on the same day and then travelling somewhere else in C or Y on any ticket. Also, that would set a precedent for the other lounges, which are terribly full already due to *A status pax etc... Imagine the consequences for Business lounge capacity if access was granted to pax who arrived in C from anywhere and continued to anywhere in Y on *A on the same day with any ticket... You would need the Hessen or Bavarian police to control the riots at the door!!🤣
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedChili
Sounds weird, as LifeMiles awards are actually cheaper if you include an intra-EU flight in economy or business.
I have nothing to do with the rules, that’s merely an explanation provided to me, possibly not just LM but partner awards in general.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by FlyerLX
I can understand the separate ticket rule. FCT/FCL access is for an itinerary which includes F, or for HONs. It’s opening up a can of worms to say you only have to be in F on the same day and then travelling somewhere else in C or Y on any ticket. Also, that would set a precedent for the other lounges, which are terribly full already due to *A status pax etc... Imagine the consequences for Business lounge capacity if access was granted to pax who arrived in C from anywhere and continued to anywhere in Y on *A on the same day with any ticket... You would need the Hessen or Bavarian police to control the riots at the door!!🤣
"You only have to be in F." You make it sound like there are thousands of arriving non-HON F-passengers every day. We're probably only talking about a handful, maximum 10 people. F-passengers can anyway use the FCL (or any SEN or Business lounge) as an arrivals lounge. And granting privileges for F-passengers doesn't automatically mean that you have to do the same for C-passengers. Moreover, there's probably only a handful of arriving C-passengers with no Star Gold status and connections in Y.

It's probably only to save money on the limo service.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Originally Posted by RedChili
It's probably only to save money on the limo service.
I think it’s probably only to save the limo service for HONs and pax who are through-ticketed to/from F- in other words, those for whom the service was intended.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I would agree that the number of people who would take advantage of a less strict rule would be very limited. My perception is that the few who did in the past and bragged out it on frequent flyer boards spoilt the show for everybody else. It wasn't so much awards from partner airlines but rather LH pax who flew to DUB etc. on el cheapo tickets and departed on F-trips from there for much less than directly from FRA. On their way to/from DUB (in cheap Y), some flew via FRA or MUC and demanded all F services there again, as it was technically the same day as their F arrival.

As I said above: When I, as a status-starred LH Senator (who seems to fly enough on LH metal, even got the 2021 letter that said "few are as loyal to LH as you have been in 2021, so you get an extra 2 e-vouchers", bla bla), cannot book the domestic feeder to an F-flight on the same ticket due to 2022 booking class madness and buy the flight using my own money, it kind of annoys me that I cannot use the FCT before the connection home after my return F-longhaul. I can use the FCL as arrival lounge, so no big deal, but have been sent on my way to walk to the plane from the FCL in A, as the connection was "on a separate ticket"; since my hop home is always from an apron position, I appreciate the ride from the FCT or FCL.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would agree that the number of people who would take advantage of a less strict rule would be very limited. My perception is that the few who did in the past and bragged out it on frequent flyer boards spoilt the show for everybody else. It wasn't so much awards from partner airlines but rather LH pax who flew to DUB etc. on el cheapo tickets and departed on F-trips from there for much less than directly from FRA. On their way to/from DUB (in cheap Y), some flew via FRA or MUC and demanded all F services there again, as it was technically the same day as their F
Yes, might make sense to the bean counters at LH but as you correctly point out genuine pax get punished

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.