Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluetooth Speaker

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Bluetooth Speaker

Hi, just checking if anyone knows for sure whether these things can be placed in checked luggage or not.
The Lufthansa site doesn't seem clear.
There is reference to powerbanks, which I suppose are loosely related, and these aren't allowed in checked baggage.

Would appreciate any clear guidance please.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Aston100
Hi, just checking if anyone knows for sure whether these things can be placed in checked luggage or not.
The Lufthansa site doesn't seem clear.
There is reference to powerbanks, which I suppose are loosely related, and these aren't allowed in checked baggage.

Would appreciate any clear guidance please.

Thanks.
If it contains a battery then put it in hand luggage just to be certain.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Most modern speakers have a built-in rechargeable battery. Those can not go into checked baggage. Even gate checked.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Most modern speakers have a built-in rechargeable battery. Those can not go into checked baggage. Even gate checked.
So when you say 'even gate checked' does that mean Lufthansa won't allow a speaker onto the aircraft at all, not even in hand luggage?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:54 pm

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

It's a TSA site but the regulations are generally pretty standard (save some like Emirates and drones).

Just search for your item or something close to it. I've packed my Bluetooth speakers almost always in checked bags.
​​​
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, but the three replies all have a different answer.
Place within hand luggage
Not allowed in hand luggage or checked luggage
Place within checked luggage

Anyone else fancy chipping in with their opinion too?
I'll go with the most popular one.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 4:33 pm

Lol. I gave you a link to the TSA guides on what you can or cannot pack. Going by the "most popular answer" is..

Actually I don't know why I'm wasting my time lol. Bluetooth speaker...
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
So when you say 'even gate checked' does that mean Lufthansa won't allow a speaker onto the aircraft at all, not even in hand luggage?
Forgive me if I'm interpreting you incorrectly, but I'm not sure you understand what gate-checked means.

Yes, it would be allowed in hand luggage, but if that luggage happens to be taken away from you at the gate (because there's not enough room in the cabin / overhead bins, et al.), it would then be 'gate checked' (hand luggage which becomes checked luggage at the gate). That's when you'd have a problem, because the battery-powered device shouldn't be in checked baggage, regardless of where if becomes checked baggage.
Deckter, chris63, Fabo.sk and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
They have to go in carry on
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by olive_b
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

It's a TSA site but the regulations are generally pretty standard (save some like Emirates and drones).

Just search for your item or something close to it. I've packed my Bluetooth speakers almost always in checked bags.
​​​
Originally Posted by olive_b
Lol. I gave you a link to the TSA guides on what you can or cannot pack. Going by the "most popular answer" is..

Actually I don't know why I'm wasting my time lol. Bluetooth speaker...
Try as I may, I have failed to find wireless speakers in that list.

It does list "speakers", but see, here's where your "something close to it" falls apart. It's not the speaker part that's the problem. It's the battery powered part. So at best, you should have given this link: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/...nfo/?hazmat=20
not that it applies, unless the LH flight happens to be to the US... so therefore https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2017-04R1 is the right link.
Aston100 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
I've decided to leave it at home.
I'm doing 7 flights with 5 different airlines on this trip so if it isn't completely straight forward with all airlines, then I don't want to risk having the device confiscated.
It is also a little bit heavy so would impact my hand luggage somewhat.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:34 am

Thanks for the replies.
I've decided to leave it at home.
I'm doing 7 flights with 5 different airlines on this trip so if it isn't completely straight forward with all airlines, then I don't want to risk having the device confiscated.
It is also a little bit heavy so would impact my hand luggage somewhat.

Thanks again.
It is straightforward, as it is not airline rules that matter here, but regulatory rules and those are more-or-less aligned across the world (and subject to IATA rules also)

Nevertheless, the fact remains it would impact your hand luggage, so maybe leaving it at home is for the best.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
I thought that the rules are for "spare lithium batteries" to be removed from checked bags, not any device that contains a lithium battery.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: LH HON/AF Gold
That's exactly what it is. As long as the battery is built into the device there's nothing to worry about...
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:12 am

OK so this is a recommendation from EASA not a hard rule, but still:

The European Aviation Safety Agency recommends operators to:
 Inform passengers that large PEDs should be carried in the passenger cabin whenever possible;
 Request passengers to ensure that any large PED that cannot be carried in the passenger cabin (e.g. due to its size), and therefore has to be carried in checked baggage, is:
- Completely switched off and effectively protected from accidental activation. To ensure the device is never powered on during its transport, any application, alarm or pre-set configuration that may activate it shall be disabled or deactivated;
- Protected from the risk of accidental damage by applying suitable packaging or casing or by being placed in a rigid bag protected by adequate cushioning (e.g. clothing);
- Not carried in the same baggage together with flammable material (e.g. perfumes, aerosols, etc.);
This is about Personal Electronic Devices (PED), a wireless bluetooth speaker certainly falls under this.

Spare lithium batteries fall under different, stricter measure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.