Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LO J vs. LX J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

LO J vs. LX J

I did a boneheaded move. I had one of the fantastic 60K UA J awards offered earlier in the year. I had forgotten to put my cousin's wedding on my calendar. Now I need to cancel and rebook.

Route is TBS->IAD. I have a choice of WAW->EWR or GVA-EWR for the long-haul. In either case I have a 4-hour layover at WAW or GVA. Would fellow FTers recommend LO or LX for the long haul? (I am not familiar with either.)

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
LO TATL flights are rarely canceled but almost always late (as LO has a policy of waiting for transit passengers). If they need to cancel something, I noticed it is YYZ and not US destinations. But even YYZ cancelations are very rare.

You can verify LX reliability on FR24, Flightaware and Flightstats.

Are there direct TBS-GVA flights? If you need to change en route in e.g. FRA and GVA, you need to take into account unbelievable mess at Western European airports. WAW is coping with challenges much better.

I would check flight the statistics and opinions about transit airports and then made a choice.

This summer what is important is to get to your destination - preferably on the same day as scheduled The rest is not really important.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TPJ
LO TATL flights are rarely canceled but almost always late (as LO has a policy of waiting for transit passengers). If they need to cancel something, I noticed it is YYZ and not US destinations. But even YYZ cancelations are very rare.

You can verify LX reliability on FR24, Flightaware and Flightstats.

Are there direct TBS-GVA flights? If you need to change en route in e.g. FRA and GVA, you need to take into account unbelievable mess at Western European airports. WAW is coping with challenges much better.

I would check flight the statistics and opinions about transit airports and then made a choice.

This summer what is important is to get to your destination - preferably on the same day as scheduled The rest is not really important.
There is a problem from GVA or transiting to GVA ?
I did not experienced or heard about it.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
There is a problem from GVA or transiting to GVA ?<br />I did not experienced or heard about it.
GVA is operating relatively smoothly but it is not an airport set up for transfers. Still, 4 hours will be more than enough.

Also, GVA-EWR is a UA flight, not LX.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:07 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
There is a problem from GVA or transiting to GVA ?
I did not experienced or heard about it.
I would not expect issues with GVA, but I do not see non-stop TBS-GVA flights, so suspect another connection is needed to get to GVA.
iLied likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If it is GVA-JFK on LX then definitely the much better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.