Search

Question for EU Flight Compensation Regulation for LH flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:16 am
z.c
Original Poster

Question for EU Flight Compensation Regulation for LH flights

Hi, forum,
I flew as Mileage Platinum a journey in business: SFO-FRA-DUS-BER-NUE-FRA-SFO.

The leg FRA to DUS got canceled, and I had to book a train ticket to arrive at my destination DUS. In addition, Lufthansa canceled the leg NUE-FRA

My question now is the following: Can I claim the compensation based on EU flight right for the FRA-DUS leg AND the leg NUE-FRA or can I claim only one compensation per journey?

Thank you for your feedback
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Where were the stopvers/destination?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:33 am
z.c
Original Poster

It was SFO to DUS via FRA
It was DUS to BER
It was NUE to SFO via FRA
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You can claim EC261 compensation from LH for both legs.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:55 am
z.c
Original Poster

perfect. Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Every leg counts separately. Leg being a series of flights where you transfer at airports for no more than 24 hours.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by wrp96
You can claim EC261 compensation from LH for both legs.
No you can't, if you didn't arrive three hours later than originally scheduled. Especially for the FRA-DUS leg it should have been possible to arrive in DUS within this limit.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by athome
No you can't, if you didn't arrive three hours later than originally scheduled. Especially for the FRA-DUS leg it should have been possible to arrive in DUS within this limit.
There is no three hour limit.

If OP was offered rerouting departing no more than 1h early and arriving no more than 2h late, assuming cancellation within 7 days of departure, they have no claim. This does not seem to be the case...
Futher if the arrival is delayed by no more than 4 hours, airline may pay 50% reduced compensation, but they still must pay compensation.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
OP said he had to take the train from FRA to DUS, so no rebooking seemed to have taken place. Clear case of compensation under the EU regulation. As it's a transatlantic flight this manifests 600 EUR if the cancellation happened less than 7 days (or is it 14?) before the flight. Strange there was no rebooking though. I would also claim compensation for the train ticket (so 600 + train ticket to be paid by airline).

Unclear for the return leg: if a rebooking took place, there might be no claim possible. If no rebooking/rerouting, same scenario as above I'd say and 600 EUR for that leg.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by AxelJF
OP said he had to take the train from FRA to DUS, so no rebooking seemed to have taken place. Clear case of compensation under the EU regulation. As it's a transatlantic flight this manifests 600 EUR if the cancellation happened less than 7 days (or is it 14?) before the flight. Strange there was no rebooking though. I would also claim compensation for the train ticket (so 600 + train ticket to be paid by airline).

Unclear for the return leg: if a rebooking took place, there might be no claim possible. If no rebooking/rerouting, same scenario as above I'd say and 600 EUR for that leg.
I figure there were no reasonable options by flight available, so OP booked a train ticket instead. Unless this was AirRail ticket, then it does not matter, the wording of EC261 works from what rerouting was offered, not what has pax taken.

If I hypothetically have my direct AMS-FRA flight LH997 cancelled 6 days in advance, LH offers me to fly AMS-VIE-FRA (OS374/OS127) instead, with departure 55 minutes earlier and arrival 120 minutes later, I can decide to fly the following morning, or take the ICE, but I have no claim. Now if I was to fly to Munich instead, on 2307, and they can't put me on KL1799 which flies a hour and a half or so later, then I can still take the flight next morning or an ICE but they have not offered an alternate within the parameters specified, so I can claim compensation.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by AxelJF

The train is still counted a a flight segment. That's normal procedure for LH domestic flights, when they are cancelled (especially to CGN and DUS). I am pretty sure the OP didn't had to pay for the train, LH hands out vouchers for the train.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Tacking onto this conversation : I flew IAD-FRA-OTP on Wednesday. First flight was delayed over two hours and missed connection in FRA. Took next scheduled nonstop to OTP and arrived five hours late. No earlier flights with connection were available. Eligible for 600 euro compensation?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by kahuna613
Tacking onto this conversation : I flew IAD-FRA-OTP on Wednesday. First flight was delayed over two hours and missed connection in FRA. Took next scheduled nonstop to OTP and arrived five hours late. No earlier flights with connection were available. Eligible for 600 euro compensation?
Depends.

If you flew UA, no. Non-EU carriers are only responsible on flights out of EU, not in.

If you flew Lufthansa then yes, unless they can prove extenuating circumstances.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Depends.

If you flew UA, no. Non-EU carriers are only responsible on flights out of EU, not in.

If you flew Lufthansa then yes, unless they can prove extenuating circumstances.
Yes should have mentioned..all segments were on LH ( tho purchased as UA codeshares if it matters).

Don't know the cause of the delay but it wasn’t weather.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:38 pm
z.c
Original Poster

Hi all,
sorry for late reply, since I was traveling internationally again.

Lufthansa did not offer Airrail this time (last time they did, but not this time). I paid the train ticket by myself.
I arrived in DUS more than 6 hours after scheduled arrival, since Lufthansa needed 4(!) hours to provide my bags in FRA

Last edited by z.c; Jul 1, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.