Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I book a child ticket (standalone) on lh.com?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Can I book a child ticket (standalone) on lh.com?

I have a question:

I need to book a new ticket for cas_de jr. and I still have a €50 voucher available. He will be travelling with Mrs. cas_de and myself, but we want to resurrect two tickets that have been frozen due to the Covid situation. Therefore I need to make our (the adults') reservation via the SEN Line. However, since I can only use the voucher if I book online I am stuck because lh.com doesn't let me select 0 adults and 1 child. The "-" button is grayed out if only one adult is selected, even when I select 1 child.

Any way to circumnavigate this problem? Worst case I leave the frozen tickets untouched and buy new tickets for all three of us - however, I would like to avoid this scenario if possbile.

Thanks!
cas_de
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Short answer: It is not possible to book a flight for only a child through LH.com.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: A3 *G
Could you not book him as an adult and then let the check in agent sort it out at the aiport?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
Short answer: It is not possible to book a flight for only a child through LH.com.
thanks - that will most likely kill our plans.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eshroom
Could you not book him as an adult and then let the check in agent sort it out at the aiport?
I guess we could do that, but then we'd have to pay for the full fare. Plus, they know cas_de jr.'s DOB, because of his M&M number / profile.

Travel would be domestic so no ID check is involved. No physical check in either.

Note: the overall fare difference between a child fare and the adult fare R/T would be €11 (light fare) or €17.50 (classic fare), taxes and surcharges are the same.

Last edited by cas_de; Aug 28, 2020 at 7:19 am
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
So if you can exchange the 50 EUR voucher, that should be a good deal if you book the adult tariff ?
I guess LH wouldn't object if you paid the full fee ? Only issue I can imagine is that sometimes they need to allocate kids to special places in the plane due to oxygen masks... (at least I had this issue once)
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
So if you can exchange the 50 EUR voucher, that should be a good deal if you book the adult tariff ?
I guess LH wouldn't object if you paid the full fee ? Only issue I can imagine is that sometimes they need to allocate kids to special places in the plane due to oxygen masks... (at least I had this issue once)
I think the oxygen mask problem only occurs for infants without seats, so that shouldn't be an issue in our case.
LH wouldn't mind, but I have to give up part of the voucher's value just to be able to make a booking for a child. I understand that there are restrictions in place so that children cannot travel alone / without a guardian's consent, but - as naive as I am - I was hoping for a little more flexible booking engine.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN
No clue if this would work but:

1) Book online 1 adult + 1 child (child with the voucher to get discount)
2) Immediately phone and ask to split the PNR
3) Cancel adult PNR under 24 booking guarantee
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by bobhope2
No clue if this would work but:

1) Book online 1 adult + 1 child (child with the voucher to get discount)
2) Immediately phone and ask to split the PNR
3) Cancel adult PNR under 24 booking guarantee
Splitting the online PNR when a CHD is involved, may be the barrier but worth a try.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: M&M HON***
Originally Posted by Yemona
Splitting the online PNR when a CHD is involved, may be the barrier but worth a try.
I tried that a couple of years ago and it works but only if the child is at least 5 years old and you purchase UNMR services upon splitting the PNR
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Not possible, just book an adult ticket to use the 50€ voucher. Adults don't have to give the date of birth and M&M dob info is not matched. During online checkin you can assemble/join the entire family for seat selection etc.
cas_de likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gru_muc
I tried that a couple of years ago and it works but only if the child is at least 5 years old and you purchase UNMR services upon splitting the PNR
...and the costs for the UNMR service outweigh the savings from the voucher.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not possible, just book an adult ticket to use the 50€ voucher. Adults don't have to give the date of birth and M&M dob info is not matched. During online checkin you can assemble/join the entire family for seat selection etc.
Thanks Oliver - case closed.

@all - thanks for the insight. Some of the options are logical, but sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.