Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooking options after cancellation by LH limited by fare class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
It’s stupid and definitely not right but LH is doing a lot of similar things. My flight in F was cancelled and I was told either take the refund (it will take a few months) or shift to a flight the next day in J class (aircraft without F cabin). When I highlighted that I paid for F and want to fly F the agent just told me that she will end the call unless I agree to one of her two options.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Carpacchio

If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation. Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date. The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled. If this is not the case you can contact your national authority for further assistance.
It is common grounds that there is no right to compensation even if your flight is cancelled less than 14 days before departure as Covid-19 is considered extraordinary circumstances.

However, I agree that this doesn't affect the right to be rebooked but my take on the rebooking rules under EU Reg. 261/04 is that there is no right to be rebooked without payment of fare difference/up-fare when pax decides to be rebooked to a later date convenient to pax. We have discussed this before in various other threads in the wake of Covid-19 so let's not start that discussion again.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Lufthansa FTL, KrisFlyer Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is common grounds that there is no right to compensation even if your flight is cancelled less than 14 days before departure as Covid-19 is considered extraordinary circumstances.

However, I agree that this doesn't affect the right to be rebooked but my take on the rebooking rules under EU Reg. 261/04 is that there is no right to be rebooked without payment of fare difference/up-fare when pax decides to be rebooked to a later date convenient to pax. We have discussed this before in various other threads in the wake of Covid-19 so let's not start that discussion again.
Yes, but I didn't want to change my dates at all, just use one of the 6 other options for getting from MUC to VCE on the same day.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Lufthansa FTL, KrisFlyer Gold, HHonors Diamond
The thing that annoyed me is: the main reason I am choosing to book with Lufthansa for any flights in the near future (FTL aside) is precisely because they offer so many different ways of getting from A to B in a lot of cases. So I can at least hope to be rebooked on a different connection if my flight is cancelled, instead of having to cancel the trip completely.

If this no longer applies, I might as well just book a cheaper carrier and take the risk! Surely LH doesn't want all customers to take the same approach.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

I am sorry, I do not agree.

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,

- a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

(b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.

2. Paragraph 1(a) shall also apply to passengers whose flights form part of a package, except for the right to reimbursement where such right arises under Directive 90/314/EEC.

3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.
Under Article 8.1.c the mention is of availabe seats. So if the J cabin has seats available, then passenger can be rebooked. Booking fare-class is an arbitrary Airline invention to control inventory and prices for sale. It is irrelevent for the purposes of rebooking after IRROPS.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
However, I agree that this doesn't affect the right to be rebooked but my take on the rebooking rules under EU Reg. 261/04 is that there is no right to be rebooked without payment of fare difference/up-fare when pax decides to be rebooked to a later date convenient to pax
I also must protest here. During this pandemic we often see that airlines are not offering any immediate alternatives if a flight is cancelled (of course, if borders are closed, this is understandable) -> so a passenger may only has the option for a full refund (a) or a rerouting at a later date at the passenger's convenience (c).
Airlines have total control over future fares. They can arbitrarily hike up rates or make cheaper booking classes completely disappear. Hence, the airline can milk the customer as much as they want. If you opinion holds up in court, the passenger protection in EC261/2004 article 8c will be completely worthless to the passenger.
Moreover, it would "legalize" a new airline business model -> selling cheap fares, cancelling the flight and then forcing passengers to pay a much higher fare at a later stage.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I beg to differ. According to your interpretation there is no difference between rerouting under art. 8. 1 (b) and 8. 1 (c) - but look at the different wordings!; in particular the restriction "subject to availability of seats" in art. 8. 1 (c). The only reasonable interpretation of "subject to availability of seats" is that rebooking under art. 8. 1 (c) is subject same booking class /RBD being available; otherwise you are applying the more generous conditions as are applicable for rebookings under art. 8.1. (b).

I'm sorry but your arguments about the risk of airlines misusing the possibility to demand payment of fare difference, does not change the wording of EU reg. 261/04 art. 8 nor the law.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:19 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I think defining availability of seats to availability to booking class is quite a stretch.

Furthermore the german courts seem to agree with me and has under threat of punishment ordered LH to not demand such upfares for cancelled flights that are being rebooked at a later date convenient to pax.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
you are applying the more generous conditions as are applicable for rebookings under art. 8.1. (b).
In fact 8.1 (b) is the most difficult, and most expensive, of the options for the airline - providing (expensive) last minute seats for the passenger, even where these need to bought from a competitor.

8.1 (c) essentially requires the carrier to offer accommodation only on its own fleet. It is likely the cheaper option for the airline, the wider availability of seats meaning that selection of one does not carry a high opportunity cost, and there is no question of buying seats from other carriers

Sadly the devil of the Regulation is in its drafting.

However, given that a German court has decided that "subject to availability of seats" in 8.1(c) applies to physical seats rather than a virtual construct of yield managers; and in spite of the airline appealing this decision, I'd say it is an interpretation that holds more water than yours.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
However, given that a German court has decided that "subject to availability of seats" in 8.1(c) applies to physical seats rather than a virtual construct of yield managers; and in spite of the airline appealing this decision, I'd say it is an interpretation that holds more water than yours.
Not only this, but this interpretation is borne out because it has been practiced this way by many airlines for a while, including Lufthansa, until the COVID pandemic. Now, suddenly, Lufthansa is looking to upfare passengers. Indeed, individual agents interpret it differently and some customers get rebooked in other revenue booking classes and others do not.

Ironically, it was the refusal of the airline to rebook me as I wished without additional fare which caused me to cancel my booking completely and force through a refund. Rebooking me would have helped Lufthansa's cashflow as they would have been able to retain my money.
Grog likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Not only this, but this interpretation is borne out because it has been practiced this way by many airlines for a while, including Lufthansa, until the COVID pandemic. Now, suddenly, Lufthansa is looking to upfare passengers. Indeed, individual agents interpret it differently and some customers get rebooked in other revenue booking classes and others do not.

Ironically, it was the refusal of the airline to rebook me as I wished without additional fare which caused me to cancel my booking completely and force through a refund. Rebooking me would have helped Lufthansa's cashflow as they would have been able to retain my money.

It is baffling that Lufthansa doesn't want to hang onto the cash and tuck passengers into a seat on a near-empty flight some months hence.

But no more baffling than choosing to fight this particular battle in the middle of an existential crisis,
Grog likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It is baffling that Lufthansa doesn't want to hang onto the cash and tuck passengers into a seat on a near-empty flight some months hence.

But no more baffling than choosing to fight this particular battle in the middle of an existential crisis,
I agree and it would have done their reputation no harm at all. Now, they have people actively willing them into bankruptcy, having had their perceived corporate arrogance confirmed.
Grog likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Wait a sec: you booked a new flight with a code of a previously cancelled flight, and this new flight was cancelled again ?
Then you can INSIST on being re-booked on any flight at your convenience based on EU passenger rights:

If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation. Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date. The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled. If this is not the case you can contact your national authority for further assistance.
yes that is what the law says. The problem is that the NEBs are totally useless, specially the German one. ( i remember a complaint posted by a travel blogger where he shows that someone sent in a complaint to the German NEB, and they took one year to let him know that they closed his case, no reasoning why. I had one too, where they thanked me for the information and that they decided to close the case even though there was a breach. When I asked if they issued a fine, they said they decided not to, when I asked why they responded I do not have the right to know why. So it is like, aha! Borderline kafka...
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The 14-day notice and thus the compensation argument have nothing to do with this matter. It seems clear and the EC has issued Guidance making it clear, albeit in a non-binding manner, that Covid-19 is an "extraordinary circumstance" and accordingly the failure of notice and attendant compensation requirement does not apply.

None of this has anything to do with rebooking / refund which is an entirely separate aspect of the Regulation.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The 14-day notice and thus the compensation argument have nothing to do with this matter. It seems clear and the EC has issued Guidance making it clear, albeit in a non-binding manner, that Covid-19 is an "extraordinary circumstance" and accordingly the failure of notice and attendant compensation requirement does not apply.

None of this has anything to do with rebooking / refund which is an entirely separate aspect of the Regulation.
This thread is all about rebooking after the Airline cancelled a flight. Specifically, the option to travel at a (much) later date and the entitlement to travel in the same cabin as long as seats are available for sale regardless of the (airline determined) availability of the originally purchased booking class. SK AAR is of the opinion that it's fine for the airline to close off the cheaper booking classes and then try and charge a passenger more when he decides to fly later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.