Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
On LX in/out Germany no masks anymore. Was on a ZRH-HAJ today all relaxed.
behuman and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by VRFast
What's the requirement in September 2022? [...]Are masks required at FRA and MUC airports and lounges, on the LH flights?
You are required to wear a mask on public transportation in Germany (trains, bus, aircraft etc). Lufthansa requires you to wear one on board. Enforcement of the wearing during flight is not very rigorous. A mask is offered while boarding if you are not wearing one.

Currently the rule is a surgical mask or a FFP2/KN95/N95 without a vent.
STBCypriot and flyinghorse82 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Short haul: Couple of days ago crew was enforcing at boarding but so many pax had not even brought a mask that they ran out of masks to hand to pax & didn’t enforce with the last handful of pax.

Long haul night flight: No enforcement in the FCT transfer and no enforcement for F pax turning left immediately. The flight consisted. basically of pre departure drinks, meal, sleep and breakfast so no opportunity to enforce had the crew wanted to.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I’ve not been to Germany recently, but are people still complying?
Mostly yes. Unlike in most other countries it's still mandatory in public transport, as oliver summed it up. But the number of people not complying is growing by the day.

It's strange that as quickly as I was used to not wearing a mask at all when on holiday (been the Scandinavia, the Baltics and the UK recently), you quickly are used to wearing it again here. If everyone is doing it, you just join the mass.

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Any information yet on whether or not FFP2 masks will be considered acceptable in lieu of N95?
German law always states "FFP2 or equal standard". hugolover wrote N95, but FFP2 is what it is. (K)N95 are equally accepted though. From my understanding they are all same anyways, just different name of the very similar certification (FFP2 Europe, N95 US, KN95 China).
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Makes no sense only on planes and trains … but not in extremely crowded terminal and lounges etc.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:12 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
LH in a serious competitive disadvantage

Originally Posted by oliver2002
except the (correct) wearing of masks'
The liberal coalition partner tried their best to remove every thing.
I wear masks correctly when I deem it necessary, I do not need a nanny state government and can feel with the liberal coalition partner and hopefully they will move out of this coalition. We are adult citizens and can decide ourselves.

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I’ve not been to Germany recently, but are people still complying?
Particularly with the Chancellor himself not wearing a mask on his recent flight, will the public still be compliant?
Also, if the LH policy is not to enforce masks, I’ll not be wearing one onboard.
Germans are law abiding (at least when at home) unlike Italians where on the Frecciarossa train once seated eveyrbody has a glass of something in front of them. In crowded opera houses less than 10 % wear a mask (including me).
And regarding mask enforcement on LH, if you turn left you are automatically "more equal than others", like while flying with the "Flugbereitschaft".
weero, STBCypriot and gojko88 like this.

Last edited by behuman; Aug 25, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Gentle reminder to keep the political opinions out of this forum. Flyertalk has a lovely forum for that kind of discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-366/

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
DiamondMile and flyinghorse82 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:19 am

LH is not amused:

Federal German government wants to tighten mask obligation – New Infection Protection Act prescribes FFP2 mask

The German Federal Cabinet today passed the new Infection Protection Act. It continues to make masks compulsory on board aircraft. What’s more, it requires passengers over the age of 14 to wear an FFP2 mask. Until now, there was also the option of using a surgical mask. Lufthansa criticizes the planned tightening.

Christina Foerster, member of the Executive Board: “We rely on the personal responsibility of our guests. Passengers should be free to decide whether they want to wear a mask or not. In airplanes, high-performance filters clean the air. In this respect, it is difficult to understand why stricter rules should apply here than in other areas of life, such as in restaurants or supermarkets. Because most other countries already rely on voluntariness, this German special path is difficult to explain and enforce.”

The European authorities for aviation safety (EASA) and health (ECDC) already recommended in May to forego mandatory requirements for the wearing of masks during air travel.

That is why Lufthansa is now demanding improvements. The Bundestag and Bundesrat still have to approve the law. It is to come into force on 1 October 2022 and apply until 7 April 2023.

In addition, the federal government has extended the entry regulation until 7 April 2023. No tightening is currently planned there. The regulations for virus-variant areas remain in force. Here, testing is compulsory before departure and transport is prohibited for non-German citizens. Other EU countries have already abolished comparable regulations.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 3:48 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Question why not just follow EU directives

LH is not amused:
Of course not, given that a huge part of LH revenue comes from transit traffic through FRA and MUC. People have other choices like LX and OS, just rebooked two flights today via VIE and ZRH. (And yes, I will wear a FFP2 mask on narrowbodies)

If rules going against EU directives are applied by a country, this country should also effectively police thoses rules. It can not be that flight attendants have to enforce this. They are not paid for this and I wonder why the unions do not protest yet. Put a Bundespolizei agent on each flight or better two .

Even Italy (which was overzealous regarding Covid), maintains the FFP2 obligation in public transport (occasionally enforced by police force, NOT the train crew - so keep your glass of Prosecco handy, it works), but dropped the requirement on planes following as a "good" EU member the directives.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
It's such a shame Germany is doing this. It's preventing me from flying Lufthansa, and I am sure I am not the only person. Even during Covid LX was much more chilled about masks than Lufthansa, I would just drink something the whole flight so would only really need it for boarding and deplaning.

Why doesn't Lufty just not enforce it anymore, it's not like the German Government can do anything about it, what are they going to do, fine the national carrier for refusing to enforce it? At this rate when will they remove the requirement? Being quadruple vaxxed and masked still doesn't prevent infection it seems, so what's the point?

How strict are they these days on the planes with LH? They shout at people at the gate, like at LHR? I mean in London there are no masks ever anywhere, so it must be weird suddenly being shouted at to wear a filter mask when even during the height of covid the UK never required a filter mask anywhere!
the810, paulaf and Coffee drinker like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
You are required to wear a mask on public transportation in Germany (trains, bus, aircraft etc). Lufthansa requires you to wear one on board. Enforcement of the wearing during flight is not very rigorous. A mask is offered while boarding if you are not wearing one.

Currently the rule is a surgical mask or a FFP2/KN95/N95 without a vent.
Originally Posted by MichielR
Short haul: Couple of days ago crew was enforcing at boarding but so many pax had not even brought a mask that they ran out of masks to hand to pax & didn’t enforce with the last handful of pax.

Long haul night flight: No enforcement in the FCT transfer and no enforcement for F pax turning left immediately. The flight consisted. basically of pre departure drinks, meal, sleep and breakfast so no opportunity to enforce had the crew wanted to.
So if I absolutely have to fly Lufthansa (will do everything I can to avoid it), the 'trick' is simply to show up and board without a mask and hope they ran out? I guess they have to let you on, otherwise they will be denying boarding to too many people!
gnaget, STBCypriot, paulaf and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Absolutely none. LH is a stronghold in central Europe, and is competitive is several markets. There is absolutely not a single shred of evidence this is affecting travel pattern. Anecdotes of people avoiding LH because of this are just this, anecdotes. And this is relatively clear that airlines did not ditch masks because they saw "a boost in their business". All of that is just a wet dream of people not understanding demand in the airline market.
Figures for Q2 of 2022 are not out yet but preliminary signs is that LH will make very good: https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/ne...ay-travel.html
It seems Frau Förster is worried about the consequences for LH? Perhaps she knows something being on the Exec Board- Or is it just a wet dream on her part?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
"..Here, testing is compulsory before departure and transport is prohibited for non-German citizens.."
What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

Did someone pull a Xi-Jacinda writing this?
gnaget likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by weero
What on Earth is that supposed to mean?

Did someone pull a Xi-Jacinda writing this?
Or a Lauterbach?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by gnaget
Or a Lauterbach?
That sounds waus too xenophonic even for a Krall Lauterbach.

Must be a typo or Freudian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.