Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 5:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Cool Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]

Your safety and well-being are our highest priority.

We therefore kindly ask you to use a face mask on all your travels with Lufthansa as of Monday, May 4, during your stay at the airport as well as onboard. All Lufthansa Group cabin crew with direct customer contact will of course also be wearing appropriate protection. Together we can ensure that travel remains safe even in times of the coronavirus.

We kindly ask you to bring your own face mask and, for the sake of sustainability, we recommend a reusable cloth mask. Of course, you may use any type of face covering, such as simple disposable masks or even scarves.

For now, wearing a face mask remains mandatory until August 31, 2020.
also...

Lufthansa Group’s recent provision of free adjacent seats in Economy and Premium Economy class no longer applies, as covering your mouth and nose provides sufficient protection to your health. However, due to the current low seat load factor, seat assignments will be spaced apart as much as possible throughout the cabin. In general, infections remain highly unlikely on board a plane. Since the outbreak of the pandemic, there has not been any known case of infection onboard a Lufthansa Group flight. The air on all Lufthansa Group aircraft circulates vertically, and, in addition, they are equipped with high quality air filters that ensure an air quality similar to that of an operating room.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:52 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
also...
A mask isn't compensating for social distancing...

Furthermore, afaik, this applies only on LH, LX only has a voluntary face mask policy until now at least.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nick Art

Furthermore, afaik, this applies only on LH, LX only has a voluntary face mask policy until now at least.
Source:
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/flig...ion-1371433666
https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/social-distancing
Old May 2, 2020, 2:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know the LH websites say this applies to the whole LH Group, however, I could only find a voluntary announcements by LX.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Empty next seats as social distancing are not sustainable due to their cost.
Who is afraid can also not fly.
I am pretty sure, that there will be enough people not affraid (me included) for fulfilling at least 30% of pre-covid planes.
Koby likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Raul_R
I am pretty sure, that there will be enough people not affraid (me included) for fulfilling at least 30% of pre-covid planes.
+1, providing they fly....
Old May 2, 2020, 6:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Raul_R
Of course they are not, but the whole premise by LH that masks are enough to compensate social distancing is ridiculous.
I have no problem with what LH is deciding, it's their call, but their justification that this does not increase any risks and face masks compensate for the lack of social distancing is just bs.
They can do what they want, but it's clearly for commercial interest, which they try to hide in their announcement.

Of course there will be enough people that will fly (me not included), I'll sit back waiting until my next planned flight, which will be in September, when things will hopefully have calmed down.
I just hope people are careful enough that we won't have to endure a second wave.

Last edited by Nick Art; May 2, 2020 at 7:55 am
Old May 2, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Of course they are not, but the whole premise by LH that masks are enough to compensate social distancing is ridiculous.
I have no problem with what LH is deciding, it's their call, but their justification that this does not increase any risks and face masks compensate for the lack of social distancing is just bs.
They can do what they want, but it's clearly for commercial interest, which they try to hide in their announcement.

Of course there will be enough people that will fly (me not included), I'll sit back waiting until my next planned flight, which will be in September, when things will hopefully have calmed down.
I just hope people are careful enough that we won't have to endure a second wave.
what does “calmed down” mean in the context of what is happening?

since this virus isn’t going anywhere, if people start to gather again, second wave will happen.
can’t think of a place where lots of people gather closer than in an airplane. Perhaps in transportation like subways and busses, or in crazy nightclubs...
Old May 2, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Well it may as well be wear a mask and goggles since wuhan hospitals are reporting that the virus is airborne.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
So Lufthansa is directly contradicting the BMG, undermines its communications and do not even mention washing hands and ensuring there will be soap at all times in all plane lavatories.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve got no interest in flying with a mask on. It all sounds so miserable I would rather stay at home.
RoyalSwazi, the810 and raporot like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by hugolover
I’ve got no interest in flying with a mask on. It all sounds so miserable I would rather stay at home.
So you don't go shopping neither?
Old May 3, 2020, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by athome
So you don't go shopping neither?
Is a face mask mandatory to go shopping? Maybe where you live, but not everywhere.

And as for flying with a face mask: if I have absolutely no other choice I'd accept that, probably. But I would not be flying back and forth that much (just to go home for the weekend for instance), that's for sure.
And instead of taking LH (group) through FRA, ZRH, VIE or MUC I'd take a direct low cost flight (to shorten the time with a mask on, assuming that that low cost airline still flies of course).
the810 and raporot like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Koby
Is a face mask mandatory to go shopping? Maybe where you live, but not everywhere.
In most European countries it is or is going to become mandatory. Like in the major Asian countries (China, Taiwan, Corea, Singapore,...). It is even recommended in most US states (not sure if it is mandatory in some).

Let's ask the question the other way round. Do you prefer to get infected with the risk of major health problems instead putting a mask?
8420PR likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by athome
... Do you prefer to get infected with the risk of major health problems instead putting a mask?
As if wearing a mask protects one from getting infected...If a person wearing mask who is infected with COVID-19 and is still contagious sits next to you/within a 2-meter radius suddenly sneezes, wearing a mask will not protect you from catching the virus, as mask will not be able to stop the spread of the virus particles and land on your surface. And given that most people seem to wear mask not as it should (i.e, covering their mouth AND nose), it's just a sense of false protection. But hey, governments need to show that they are working to combat the virus, even if it means using methods with no evidence to support the measures...
I took four LH flights during the last 3 weeks. Most wore mask, and virtually none wore them accurately. Some put them off on a seat, ate a sandwich and then put it back on - a great way to get infected.
Koby, RoyalSwazi, the810 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.