Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Covid19: Lufthansa Group grounds/retires Aircraft and asks for state aid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Lufthansa Group grounds/retires Aircraft and asks for state aid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
Everything is up in the air, if you took those flights, outbound, how could you be sure the return would operate or that the USA would let you back in ....
I am debating that issue now for an upcoming trip. Flying EWR-VIE-TIA on OS and returning TIA-FRA(LH)-ORD(UA). Trying to think of a contingency plan if TIA-FRA is cancelled. Not that concerned with FRA-ORD being cancelled as I figure there would be more than a few options as opposed to being stuck in TIA!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
I am debating that issue now for an upcoming trip. Flying EWR-VIE-TIA on OS and returning TIA-FRA(LH)-ORD(UA). Trying to think of a contingency plan if TIA-FRA is cancelled. Not that concerned with FRA-ORD being cancelled as I figure there would be more than a few options as opposed to being stuck in TIA!
Hopefully you do not have hotels reserved as well unless they are refundable. My Singapore hotel is booked but can be cancelled, the Santorini hotel we booked not sure if they will cancel. Its a wait and see kinda situation at the moment.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Hopefully you do not have hotels reserved as well unless they are refundable. My Singapore hotel is booked but can be cancelled, the Santorini hotel we booked not sure if they will cancel. Its a wait and see kinda situation at the moment.
Luckily I don't book refundable hotel rates!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
Now that UA, DL and AA allow "free" changes to all tickets purchased in the coming weeks or so - is LH doing something similar?
Or perhaps they sell enough tickets to fill their reduced flying?
Trying rebook my Eco Classic ticket from GDN to DUB and noticed that Lufthansa waived 70€ rebooking fee
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:02 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
With the current capacity reduction being implemented LH has quite a few birds that are not fully utilized. Wouldn't this situation be a good trigger to retire some planes (besides the MD11 Cargo fleet) earlier than planned? I am thinking about the 320s from the early 90s that are scheduled to be phased out until 2022 anyways...
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MD11F retirement has accelerated even further, they will all be gone by June. A320 they are short due to the delay on the neo: that is the reason for wetleasing eg XG B738, BT CS3 and OK A320s. The first gen A320 oldtimers cost nothing to park, they are supposed to retire the moment they are due for any major MRO work, which is triggered by cylces and flying hours.

The parked A32S capacity is already parked in the sense that they are undergoing MRO in workshops all over Europe like every winter. Also there is a bunch parked in SNN, like every winter.
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will miss the spotless “old timers” and their sinks where you can effectively wash your hands without needing to touch the bottom or sides of the sink for pax who have used it as a urinal...

the lavs are positively A380-like compared to the Neo.
chris63 and whiskey_sk like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
LH reducing flights by 50% according to the Guardian
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
LH cuts 50% of flights due to Covid-19

As per investor ad hoc information published today at 414pm CET:Lufthansa Group decides on extensive capacity adjustments

In recent days, the Lufthansa Group has been exposed to drastic declines in bookings and numerous flight cancellations due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus. All traffic areas are now affected.

The Executive Board of Deutsche Lufthansa AG therefore decided today to reduce the flight capacity offered even more than previously planned. Based on further demand development, capacity will be reduced by up to 50% in the coming weeks.

This measure is intended to reduce the financial consequences of the slump in demand. It complements the planned savings measures in personnel, material costs and project budgets as well as other liquidity measures.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:31 am
Suspended

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...6-51f9cb53a1e2
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
'Temporary decommissioning of all A380s under consideration'
!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:02 am
Suspended

This is the time where yield management has failed terribly. Think of all the seats they could have sold a few weeks ago but which they held back for later sale in higher fare buckets. Now, they can't sell those seats no matter what.
chris63, more4less, Fims and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH behaving the same even now, most expensive booking classes only open on Airbus flights with 30-40 pax.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The press release didn't say the time frame or routes affected...
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to shut down much of SN and OS for good? LH has carried these lot for too long and maybe they should go back to focussing on the core business.

Given how we are told everyday to cut flights due to the climate EMERGENCY perhaps the same “scientists” can explain that the world is saved or global warming is suspended for a few months? At least Lufthansa is now 50% cleaner!
lhrpete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.