Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Covid19: Lufthansa Group grounds/retires Aircraft and asks for state aid

Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton

https://business.financialpost.com/p...to-coronavirus

That is about 20% of the fleet
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by supersympa; Mar 4, 2020 at 7:02 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Wow, thats dramatic , going to be lots of rebooking for those of us with tickets & a need to fly....
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
Wow, that’s dramatic , going to be lots of rebooking for those of us with tickets & a need to fly....
Dramatic but also quite understandable.

Was on a flight out of MUC Monday morning which is always packed and an A321. This week, I got to the gate and got one of the "new seat" slips as the plane had been downgraded to an A320. And even the A320 was only 2/3 full.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, VS Gold, VA Beyond, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Gold
Wow thats epic
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Dramatic but also quite understandable.

Was on a flight out of MUC Monday morning which is always packed and an A321. This week, I got to the gate and got one of the "new seat" slips as the plane had been downgraded to an A320. And even the A320 was only 2/3 full.
Yes, my experience also, near empty flights on LX & LH, not to mention the lounges.....
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:56 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/luftha...lieger-zu-viel

Just to clarify. The LH Group is not phyiscally grounding 150 planes, but reducing capacity equivalent to 150 aircraft.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
My flights to TLV and ICN in Spring might not be done.
Hopefully, they lower the threeshold to reach/maintain status....
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Sitting in the JFK SEN lounge right now and I am one of 3 guests. Security, which normally is a complete zoo in JFK's terminal 1, had zero lines. The seat map looks like business is only about 20% full. Troubling! But its very relaxed to travel like this...
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I travelled during the SARS epidemic in 2003 and it was fantastic!

In economy on a MH Jumbo jet, each passenger had the whole row to ourselves. Not the row of 3, the row of 10! I could dine by the window. Lay down full flat in the middle row. Change sides for extra panorama view.

The crew were attentive and relaxed; before landing they came with weird gas masks and sprayed aerosols over the whole plane.

Never found a cheaper ticket as well.

And you won't catch a virus from an empty plane!
Dover2Golf and RandomBaritone like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh yes, I was up in the air during that period too. That was when I learnt that the best 1st class is an empty economy class!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I had mentioned this in another thread. This is a virus that is impacting globally and a global response is needed. Now the key question is how long will LH ground these planes. I have 1 trip in Business in May from AMS to BKK and the return from BKK to AMS in F with LX. The tickets are non refundable and cannot be cancelled. Not sure what to do.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Ouch

Originally Posted by Marcin83
My flights to TLV and ICN in Spring might not be done.
Hopefully, they lower the threeshold to reach/maintain status....
You are in Madrid and want to go to TLV?

Have you seen today's news? "As the novel coronavirus continues to rattle the world, Israel's Health Ministry issued new instructions and warnings to both citizens and visitors to the country.

■ All travelers returning from Germany, Spain, France, Switzerland and Austria are ordered to go into a 14-day quarantine, effective immediately"
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I had mentioned this in another thread. This is a virus that is impacting globally and a global response is needed. Now the key question is how long will LH ground these planes. I have 1 trip in Business in May from AMS to BKK and the return from BKK to AMS in F with LX. The tickets are non refundable and cannot be cancelled. Not sure what to do.
If any of the flights you are on are cancelled you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket, even if its a cheapo companion sale promo fare.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
You are in Madrid and want to go to TLV?

Have you seen today's news? "As the novel coronavirus continues to rattle the world, Israel's Health Ministry issued new instructions and warnings to both citizens and visitors to the country.

■ All travelers returning from Germany, Spain, France, Switzerland and Austria are ordered to go into a 14-day quarantine, effective immediately"
Thats exactly what I meant. Conference flights booked for mid-May ...
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Primenumber
Sitting in the JFK SEN lounge right now and I am one of 3 guests. Security, which normally is a complete zoo in JFK's terminal 1, had zero lines. The seat map looks like business is only about 20% full. Troubling! But its very relaxed to travel like this...
Enjoy it, as it won't be for long and only until the capacity cuts kick in.

Was on a number of flights this week and visited a handful of different airports and it was eerily empty everywhere.
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.