Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: LH Group suspends flights to Italy [Discussion of Italy waiver]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
I messaged Swiss on Twitter and asked them for either ability to change to other departure point (OPO ideally) or just depart from ZRH instead of MXP (and I'd rebook with TP (or them) to ZRH) or refund/credit (I understand no way, but...). They explicitly said that this was possible after being given the booking code. Not once, but twice. But that I had to call the line to make the change.
Do tickets from Italy (issued in Italy?) not allow to drop segments anyways, due to specific Italian law? I think to remember some other thread to that extent.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
First of all, India in April is not really a tourist destination. Delhi and most of the country will be hot hot hot. Friends don't let friends vacation in India in April. The season for visitors is November to March. Medical facilities are world class for those who can afford it, so I wouldn't worry about that part. Even then, as someone who grew up there I would advise against travelling to India in April even if there is no health scare going on.

Some if not all of your booked flights to Italy will be cancelled at some point in the coming weeks. Use that to get out of this trip and ask for a refund.
Exactly this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Hardy
Do tickets from Italy (issued in Italy?) not allow to drop segments anyways, due to specific Italian law? I think to remember some other thread to that extent.
Yes good idea - start from Zurich. Given Italian rules and Corona virus seems like the best option if you still want to travel.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa ticket issued in Italy (via LH.com/IT, LH ticket counter, LH call center or at a travel agency) may use the original booked return flight, out of sequence without recalculation and extra payment, even if the outbound section has not been used. In this case, please call the Lufthansa Customer Relations team latest 24 hours after the planned first ticketed flight segment.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:03 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Yes good idea - start from Zurich. Given Italian rules and Corona virus seems like the best option if you still want to travel.
Even if LX will now with the Indian ban on travellers from Italy allow change of departure airport, the OP might consider that Switzerland is much connected to Italy and India might ban travellers from ZRH too...... Things can change until April. Try to push for an OPO departure

This said banning travellers from certain countries is pointless and more damageing than useful. Italians will possibly remember the Mauritius scandal and the destination will suffer.

Navigare necesse est, sed vivere non.
ricardojrsousa and Nick Art like this.

Last edited by behuman; Mar 4, 2020 at 9:12 pm
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The Indians imposed the ban as an Italian who had flown to DEL via VIE was found to be infected. So I'm certain they are now monitoring where the journey started for sure.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH Group policy for Italy:
Any news on whether this has been extended?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10 million quarantined (for a virus that is only harmful to the elderly...) in Italy starting tomorrow until mid April.

Effectively cancels flights to loads of airports.

Come on Helga lets get these flights canx!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by hugolover
10 million quarantined (for a virus that is only harmful to the elderly...) in Italy starting tomorrow until mid April.
May I respectfully elaborate dear hugolover:
1. "vincolo di evitare spostamenti" - a bond to avoid movements (without good reason, work, medical, family etc....), airports will be open and trains circulating, there is no such thing like general quarantine
2. till 4 April 2020

Main reason appears to be to protect the many elderly and not to put too much strain on the health system - the virus will pass, let's compare it to an urgent call of nature: you can retain it a little bit at the end it will come down .

I think it is reasonable to plan ahead not more than 4 weeks in this case, also for an airline. If all goes well, Italy will peak by 20 March.
8420PR likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by hugolover
Any news on whether this has been extended?
I'm thinking it will have to be, at least in terms of scope for OS, given that the Austrian Government have banned flights from Milan and Bologna to Vienna from tomorrow. No such restriction in place for Germany though seemingly.

Ab Montag, 9. März 2020 sind sie Direktflüge zwischen Mailand, Bologna und Wien ausgesetzt, der Nightjet der ÖBB nach Mailand und Venedig ebenso ausgesetzt.
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufent.../land/italien/

Last edited by Abouttimetoo; Mar 9, 2020 at 1:44 am Reason: typo - Bologne/a
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:44 pm

FRA - PRG LH1394 is suspended
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Abouttimetoo
I'm thinking it will have to be, at least in terms of scope for OS, given that the Austrian Government have banned flights from Milan and Bologne to Vienna from tomorrow. No such restriction in place for Germany though seemingly.
This is not reflected neither on Expertflyer nor on the OS website.

Beginning to understand that certain governments (especially the Italian one) want to test until where they can mislead the population dramatizing something that is bad, but unavoidable. A test how much control can be applied, China style. In Italy the resistance starts with people like the major of Asti.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by behuman
This is not reflected neither on Expertflyer nor on the OS website.
True but I expect it's only a matter of time. Apparently one flight of the three scheduled from each of BLQ and MXP is operating today - the outbound Bologna flight (OS547) departed on time this morning.

Last edited by Abouttimetoo; Mar 9, 2020 at 2:01 am Reason: Added detail (outbound Bologna departure)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:48 pm

Cancellation Northern Italy flights

Austrian Airlines is temporarily suspending several flights to and from Northern Italy as of Tuesday, March 10, 2020 due to the landing ban imposed by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Health and Social Affairs. This affects flights between Vienna and Venice, Bologna and Milan. Austrian plans to cancel these flights until March 28. Flights to Rome and Naples are currently still offered. However, further flight cancellations cannot be ruled out due to the dynamic developments surrounding the corona virus.

So far Austrian Airlines has operated up to three daily flights to Venice and Bologna, and up to six daily flights to Milan. The flight program was already thinned out last week.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: LH, PC, SPG, Sixt, HHonors, Hyatt
Does anyone know if all of the (currently) planned cancellations from LH and LX to/from Italy have been propagated through the systems, or if this is done only on relatively shortly before departure?

I'm scheduled on ZRH-MXP on 23MAR (currently still scheduled), but for some reason intermittently there are no flights available to be booked on swiss.com (see below).

Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards
Sebastian

Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m holding a ticket to MXP at the end of March and it is still not cancelled even though it will absolutely not operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.