Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant changes in 2021 for Status (re-)qualification criteria

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by thbe
Some see significant differences between SEN and Business lounges, others don‘t.

But status is not only about lounges.
^

The difference between the LH lounges would not be enough to make me get SEN. But the extra benefits of getting access to all *Gold lounges globally, the companion award, seat blocking, the eVouchers, etc. make SEN worthwhile for me. FTL is certainly helpful for pax who travel predominantly between airports with LH lounges, but of next to no value for pax who frequently go further afield.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vantage03
It depends how close you are to it and your needs. I gifted FTL (select benefit) to a friend based in Poland who has to fly a number of times a year to China for work in cheapest available economy. It has completely transformed his travel experience (seat selection, lounge access, even op-ups) and he’s as grateful for FTL as I am for HON. It’s all relative.
Should have just given him 300 EUR and told him to go back and forth to Lublin, immediate back to back! Then given it to someone in a more expensive market..:
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
^

The difference between the LH lounges would not be enough to make me get SEN. But the extra benefits of getting access to all *Gold lounges globally, the companion award, seat blocking, the eVouchers, etc. make SEN worthwhile for me. FTL is certainly helpful for pax who travel predominantly between airports with LH lounges, but of next to no value for pax who frequently go further afield.
Partly valid. On another carrier LH*G is just as Star Gold as any other. I would say the case for SEN is quite poor but the case for Star Gold is very strong.

The cost of the vouchers is very high vs Star Gold on another carrier vs BArbs F for example which is very cheap.

I was recently privileged to play about with the DCS and see bookings from a test pax perspective to see how Gold and even FTL have seat blocking.

In Polska a difference is that SEN get ASR on LO Saver (Light) but FTL and Gold get an extra bag anyway.

From the posts of the so-called informed Helga should be falling over herself with love of Star Gold because the lounge fees are billed back to the issuing Star carrier. By that logic, SEN is better to LH than SEN!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
You must be on those Eurowings fares bought through OTAs for about €6 from CGN to TXL. Would take a bit of running and I would rather just get there through necessary travel, which is quite easy for me. However, reaching SEN is not possible for me without a lot of extra outlay, And I really think the incremental increase in benefits is not really worth. Now, AF KL Platinum.. that's a different story!
That sounds awfully like an immoral fare. Please highlight this to Mr Spohr immediately so it can be refiled to a less immoral level. No one could ever accuse Herr Spohr for being a hypocrite.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
Partly valid. On another carrier LH*G is just as Star Gold as any other. I would say the case for SEN is quite poor but the case for Star Gold is very strong.
Not for me! As long as I can easily reach SEN, I get the best of both worlds, so why wouldn’t I?
chris63, hugolover and Gioventu like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I believe FTL is not a status worth running for. The benefits are minimal.
I disagree. The delta experience (and savings if you take advantage of stuff as extra bags) are probably the highest between no one and FTL then the higher tiers (especially given the incremental costs).
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Lack of lounge access outside of LH group makes (and made) FTL a pretty solidly worthless status level for me.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
Lack of lounge access outside of LH group makes (and made) FTL a pretty solidly worthless status level for me.
Well, I guess it feels good when you first get it and it is much better than nothing when traveling a lot in Europe.

For me, SEN/*Gold is of a much higher value.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Of course SEN is of more value than FTL.

But FTL isn’t worthless compared to other *A silvers. LH group lounges, LOT lounges, C check-in, underadvertised fast track in some airports (WAW and WRO worked for me). SK Eurobonus Silver gives what, C check-in, but lounges and fast tracks only on some almost completely useless dates.
hugolover and worldclubber like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Not for me! As long as I can easily reach SEN, I get the best of both worlds, so why wouldn’t I?
There is very little "delta" between Gold and SEN.

If you easily reach SEN then I would be asking what secondary status you could be earning .

Let me kindly remind you of BArb. Undisputed most Premium Cabins in the Sky from a 100 year old airline, founded 1974.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:17 am

There is very little "delta" between Gold and SEN.

If you easily reach SEN then I would be asking what secondary status you could be earning .

Let me kindly remind you of BArb. Undisputed most Premium Cabins in the Sky from a 100 year old airline, founded 1974.
I requalified for SEN in April and my recently acquired "secondary status" is DL Platinum, as I was unfortunate enough that I had to fly a bit of SkyTeam recently. Usually don't need a secondary status, as most years my plane travel is close to 100 percent *A. Used to have OW (BA) status, but gave up a while ago.

To me the delta between SEN and another *Gold is significant: companion awards on M&M, LH Group lounge use on arrival (which I often need to wait for the train or pick-up), LX F awards, LH Group lounge use with my whole family (as opposed to one guest as *G), free ASR (with exceptions), etc. -- enough that I don't even think about getting status with another *A airline.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone has their own reasons for one status or another, it’s like arguing whether you prefer trans or pan sexual womon and what matters is what it costs you, at least that is my consideration. Unless one is part of the political class like a Polish MP I’m looking at right now.

On the routes that many of us fly, arrivals lounge access for SEN is reduced to a plastic card to scratch the ice of one’s Skoda.

At least we are in agreement of the most premium carrier in the skies. BArb.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:19 pm

Everyone has their own reasons for one status or another,...
That's exactly it, there is probably no best status for everybody. Depends a lot on home base and destinations.

If somebody had told me half a year ago I would be DL Plat by now, I would have told them to quit the booze ...
hugolover and thbe like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
Any rumours about if changing to revenue based Eco / PrEco will also be considered?
If HON is going to go revenue based, so will be FTL and SEN most probably?!
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH600
Any rumours about if changing to revenue based Eco / PrEco will also be considered?
If HON is going to go revenue based, so will be FTL and SEN most probably?!
This thread was moved out of another thread about HON. That is the reason why the title is about HON only. The rumours are about all M&M status levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.