Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Significant changes in 2021 for Status (re-)qualification criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Isn't SEN still better than non-SEN Star Gold for F redemption on LX/LH?
Very likely you are right but with the current earning situation, unless you or your company are ready to pay a fortune for tickets, which is not my case, to collect enough miles for F awards can take veeeeery long.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Current qualification - 100K status miles. Those can cost you, very much in theory, 10 euros, or 100 thousand euros. not sure what the actual average price ends up. 5k? Seems to low. 10K? 20K?

Full on revenue based - you have to spend 25K. plus taxes. Presumably M&M airlines would enter by direct pull from ticket price, while *A partner tickets would work by some kind of a formula. Maybe 1/4 of current mileage credit.

We could end up with a hybrid system as well.
UA’s going to a hybrid system for elite status qualification.

I am just waiting to see when UA will try to up-fare condition its 4 UA flight requirement for UA elite status qualification/retention.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by more4less
Very likely you are right but with the current earning situation, unless you or your company are ready to pay a fortune for tickets, which is not my case, to collect enough miles for F awards can take veeeeery long.
A SEN needs 273k miles for a F award FRA-SFO-FRA for him/her an +1 (plus taxes). That means spending USD 50k on LH flights. Or you spend USD 3.7k on magazine subscriptions in Germany.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by thbe
A SEN needs 273k miles for a F award FRA-SFO-FRA for him/her an +1 (plus taxes). That means spending USD 50k on LH flights. Or you spend USD 3.7k on magazine subscriptions in Germany.
Very good point thbe, unfortunately I don’t leave in Germany so not sure if I could subscribe to all of these magazines.
Even if I could, I prefer to spend a little more than USD 3.7k and find, occasionally, companion A fares to travel to SE Asia, our favourite destination. The only drawback is that is never from our home airport but positioning is never a big deal.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
No real use in fretting about what you will do until you know what the actual changes are. If they are indeed announced on the evening of the 11th it will be very ironic as I will be on an AF F flight to Asia
more4less likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by sophialite
No real use in fretting about what you will do until you know what the actual changes are. If they are indeed announced on the evening of the 11th it will be very ironic as I will be on an AF F flight to Asia
Indeed 😊

Better deals on AF F to Asia than LH / LX ?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Indeed 😊

Better deals on AF F to Asia than LH / LX ?
Surprisingly yes. I booked the ticket in October, so it was somewhat closed in. But LX/LH were double the price. Since I already made HON, the rest of the year is effectively a dead year, and I've been jonesing to try AF's F on the 77W, it ended up being the perfect storm. Weird how LX/LH incentivized me to go with AF with their loyalty program. I'm not even sacrificing eVouchers as I'll be crossing 700k HON miles by EOY from other travel. Win-win.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Weird how LX/LH incentivized me to go with AF with their loyalty program. I'm not even sacrificing eVouchers as I'll be crossing 700k HON miles by EOY from other travel. Win-win.
This sort of situation is exactly why DL let's status miles roll over.
chris63 and GBM.flights like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:03 am

Let's just say that I didn't initially plan to fly anything but LH/LX through the end of the year, but I had to alter my plans. Depending on what changes to M&M are forthcoming, LH should pray I don't alter my plans further for 2020 and 2021.

Star Wars reference, sure. And while about 50% of my F fares are "cheap" A fares (and 45% regular F fares), I strongly doubt I am the sort of customer they would like to push away.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vixit
What always annoys me the most is that the rates are all over the place, yet they all connect to the same damn longhaul...

Anyway, let’s see what 11 Nov brings, suffice to say that there is clearly more than one fish in the pond and that loyalty sometimes comes at a serious expense.
Yes, the fare differences are eye watering to the same destination, the direct flights from DE to SIN, I’m lucky that we generally have great fares Ex UK so don’t need to reposition, when & if LH become transactional the equation will be different
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Let's just say that I didn't initially plan to fly anything but LH/LX through the end of the year, but I had to alter my plans. Depending on what changes to M&M are forthcoming, LH should pray I don't alter my plans further for 2020 and 2021.

Star Wars reference, sure. And while about 50% of my F fares are "cheap" A fares (and 45% regular F fares), I strongly doubt I am the sort of customer they would like to push away.
If half of your fares are F, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
If half of your fares are F, you have nothing to worry about.
yeah but frequency is “low.” I do these flights about every other month.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
yeah but frequency is “low.” I do these flights about every other month.
That’s 12 in two years. Together with your cheapo A flying, it should clearly push you to HON.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
That’s 12 in two years. Together with your cheapo A flying, it should clearly push you to HON.
Could be an AF F convert in the making, going transactional has its risks & not for the pax.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris63
Could be an AF F convert in the making, going transactional has its risks & not for the pax.
Meh, I take some posts on such issues with a grain of salt. Everybody can claim in an internet forum they've been HON for 12 years and are now switching because the product ain't right.

But even considering such claims must be somewhat discounted, I'm always a bit irritated when I see such discussions. Another example is a recent thread on the BA forum entitled "GGL or Hon Circle".

I am not flying at HON level myself. But I would assume the vast majority of those who do would choose the airline corresponding to the program which minimizes their time in the air and at the airport.

I do understand there are exceptions. Like when you're a super-frequent flyer based in OTP, you might still go with LH or TK because TAROM doesn't play in the same ballpark and cannot offer the sort of product you need.

But yeah, starting discussions like "I'm switching from HON to XXX" or from "BA GGL -> LH HON" could be attention whoring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.