Wiki Posts
Search

SN515/22JUN19 BRU-IAD op by EW Diverts back to Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
SN515/22JUN19 BRU-IAD op by EW Diverts back to Brussels

My daughter is on UA9903 or SN515 Brussels Air. She messaged me that the plane was basically over north America and it turned around and is heading back to Brussels. WHY would they turn a palne around when it was over Canada already? I'm confused and nervous. Flight aware isn't showing that it's turned around and flight staus is still saying it's going to arrive in IAD! Any thoughts?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a Brussels Air operated flight, will move this post/thread to that forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by traveler4ever
My daughter is on UA9903 or SN515 Brussels Air. She messaged me that the plane was basically over north America and it turned around and is heading back to Brussels. WHY would they turn a palne around when it was over Canada already? I'm confused and nervous. Flight aware isn't showing that it's turned around and flight staus is still saying it's going to arrive in IAD! Any thoughts?
Agree the flight info does not mention any diversion and the plane is still fare from North America -- not quite half way
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I called Brussels Air and they just said it was an operational issue. My daughter said they told them it's a new plane and it hadn't been registered yet? Really...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
According to SN’s flight status info SN515 departed at 12:22, two hours 7 mins after the scheduled departure time from BRU. Estimated arrival time in IAD is 14:25. The aircraft (OO-SFL) appears to be a 15-year-old ex-LH A333 in Eurowings livery which was transferred to SN about a month ago.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Looking at FR24, the aircraft is OO-SFL, and this is it's first trip to the USA under that registration. The aircraft appears to be registered to Eurowings, but operating for Brussels. It was previously registered to Lufthansa, and appears to have flown to/from North America before.

So maybe someone forgot to tell the US authorities about the new registration. Which would be embarrassing.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

flightaware is now showing it heading back to Brussels. My daughter said they have announced that the plane was new and wasn't registered yet? They said they will give hotel vouchers. I have an insurance policy from Europ Assistance.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Looking at FR24, the aircraft is OO-SFL, and this is it's first trip to the USA under that registration. The aircraft appears to be registered to Eurowings, but operating for Brussels. It was previously registered to Lufthansa, and appears to have flown to/from North America before.

So maybe someone forgot to tell the US authorities about the new registration. Which would be embarrassing.
I appreciate the info. Wish this hadn't happened. She's been away from her baby daughter for two weeks and is missing her terribly.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:59 am

SN will accommodate and feed the displaced passengers tonight and find them new routings to their US destinations (although that's unlikely to be today).
​​​​​​
Passengers will also be able to claim under EU261, as this is a clear cut and forseable / preventable failure by SN. I should imagine it'll be €600.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller

Interesting. Although OO-SFL was transferred to SN in May its first flight for SN was only yesterday.

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
flightaware is now showing it heading back to Brussels. My daughter said they have announced that the plane was new and wasn't registered yet? They said they will give hotel vouchers. I have an insurance policy from Europ Assistance.
Your daughter will get hotel accommodation and meals. She should also qualify for EC261/2004 compensation of 600 EUR as it sounds like the airline’s fault.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

I wonder what the total out-of-pocket loss for SN/LH Group is going to be for something like that? Hundreds of thousands of euro for sure. Maybe the same person in charge of ordering ducks is in charge of plane registrations!?
Unterwegs, chris63 and mmff like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:00 pm

Let's assume 250 pax booked in each direction. 500 affected pax.

Accommodation and food per pax : €100
Rebooking to another airline : €500
EU261 compensation : €600

Let's say about €1 200 per pax = €600k

Then on top you've got a plane that burned 8 hours of fuel, and 8 hours of crew time, going nowhere. Maybe that's another €200k. And displaced crews both sides of the Atlantic.

Expensive administration error.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:33 pm

800,000 euros burned because of petty bureaucrats shuffling pieces of paper. Madness.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Skywards
Didn't they learn from Air New Zealand a few month ago trying to fly an unregistered plane to China?
lixiaojuventus and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Sounds like the appropriate tail on this one should have been SN-AFU...

Would have been interesting to read or hear the conversation between crew and ground at the moment the issue was announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.