Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

UFO FA Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT19, LH 7-8NOV19 & 4U 30DEC-1JAN20]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Rebooking waiver issued November 5, 2019 for the strike to occur on November 7-8, 2019

LH advises you what do in case of irreg cancellations here: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-disruptions

Information on the announced strike of UFO

UFO has called on its cabin crew members for a two-day strike on 7 and 8 November. Lufthansa condemns the UFO's call for a strike in the strongest possible terms and is considering legal steps to prevent the strike. We are currently working at full speed on a special flight plan for Thursday and Friday which will be published on Wednesday. We apologize for any inconvenience that may arise.

Please check this website regularly, leave your mobile number in your Miles & More profile or in your booking and you will automatically be informed about the latest changes.

Your flight has not yet been cancelled, but you still want to change to another day or the train?

In order to give you planning security, we now offer you a free rebooking in the following cases

• You are booked on a Lufthansa Group flight to and from Frankfurt or Munich with departure on 7 or 8 November.
  • Your ticket was issued on and before 4 November.
You can rebook your flight for the same route to a new date up to and including 15 November. Availability in the same class provided.

If you are booked on a domestic Lufthansa flight, we offer you a free exchange of your flight route for a train ticket on this page.

If and when a particular strike begins and flights are actually beginning to be cancelled/automatically rebooked, you can call or use facebook messenger ( https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/chatbot ) and ask for a rebooking/rerouting. If your ticket was issued by a travel agent or different airline, you are advised to contact the issuing office.

LH usually rebooks to other LH Group carriers, any star alliance carrier or other IATA airline it has an interline agreement with. The preference to do so is in the same order and done only if the preferred alternative doesn't have any free seats in the class of service (not booking class). Award bookings are treated the same way, although you may be requested to contact the issuing carrier for reissuing the ticket. LH issued tickets are usually reissued using the ATC irreg system. Because of the ATC in place, any travel agent who originally issued the tickets can rebook using the rules and reissue the tickets automatically without any intervention required by Lufthansa.

Details of the LH irreg invol rebooking policy is here: https://aviacenter.ru/en/news/2019/04/29/lufthansa-group-airlines.-flight-irregularities-policy-(in-case-of-schedule-changes)/

More details on irreg procedures here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Print Wikipost

UFO FA Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT19, LH 7-8NOV19 & 4U 30DEC-1JAN20]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Raul_R
Not only that. Also several rebookings although I reached my final destination already days ago
Famous IT!
Your completely wrong.... you mean infamous IT
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In the end about 1400 flights were cancelled last week:

Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In the end about 1400 flights were cancelled last week:

Yes, that’s awful

Any news on how the talks are going ?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

LH and the three unions have just announced that they will go for mediation to resolve any of their conflicts. This means no further strikes in the mediation phase.
chris63 and kahuna1993 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I submitted my hotel claims today. Was a total of £150 for overnight hotel and dinner and breakfast plus bus tickets.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH and the three unions have just announced that they will go for mediation to resolve any of their conflicts. This means no further strikes in the mediation phase.
Great, thanks for that bit of good news, any idea of timescale for this process ?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:24 am

LH & UFO called off the truce again, mediation only on the smaller topics: https://app.handelsblatt.com/wirtsch...CUABkKC3ol-ap3
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:41 am

LH & UFO called off the truce again, mediation only on the smaller topics: https://app.handelsblatt.com/wirtsch...CUABkKC3ol-ap3
So more strikes could be expected? We're flying BLL-FRA-MIA next Saturday (and back from MIA on December 8), and during the last strike, LH462/LH463 got cancelled on both strike days. Furthermore, it's the Thanksgiving weekend, so most other flights are already very fully booked. Should we be concerned? I know that being concerned 1½ week in advance doesn't really help anyone, but being affected by two strikes in the same month would obviously be very frustrating.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not good, so UFO say further strikes are possible
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:24 am

UFO and LH are still in mediation, but on the smaller topics, not the bigger topics. So no strikes while in mediation still holds.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:20 am

My flight on Nov 8, ex FRA, was cancelled due to the UFO strike. My itinerary was rebooked via LX and my eventual arrival delayed about 8 hours. While I'm happy to have arrived safely at my destination, the delay impacted my family's plans for that weekend, and I understand that LH is trying not to pay under EC261/2004.

Despite finding an excellent resource in https://www.godsavethepoints.com/luf...ation-details/ regarding compensation, and the suggestion that the German decision on Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62017CJ0195) is applicable, LH has denied my claim for EUR 600 compensation under EC261/2004 that was placed through their normal customer service email. They claim force majeure, and repeatedly say that the circumstances were beyond their control. The cited law suggests otherwise.

What's the next step in obtaining compensation?
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by jpezaris; Nov 21, 2019 at 12:59 pm Reason: clarity, grammar
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:26 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Contact one of the company that can do it on your behalf. They work on a no-win no-fee basis so nothing to lose. Make sure to put forward the relevant jurisprudence.
Alternatively contact your lawyer.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Despite finding an excellent resource in https://www.godsavethepoints.com/luf...ation-details/ regarding compensation, and the suggestion that the German decision on Helga Krüsemann and Others v TUIfly GmbH (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62017CJ0195) is applicable, LH has denied my claim under EC261/2004 for EUR 600 compensation for the flight which was over 3500 km that was placed through their normal customer service email. They claim force majeure, and repeatedly say that the circumstances were beyond their control. The cited law suggests otherwise.
The Helga Krüsemann ./. TUIfy was about a "wildcat strike". The UFO strike wasn't a "wildcat strike", but a "warning strike". A "warning strike" isn't a "wildcat strike", even if it's a last minute strike as well.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
The Helga Krüsemann ./. TUIfy was about a "wildcat strike". The UFO strike wasn't a "wildcat strike", but a "warning strike". A "warning strike" isn't a "wildcat strike", even if it's a last minute strike as well.
I believe the argument is that if a wildcat strike by LH employees is considered under the control of LH, an announced strike should be even farther away from the force majeure claimed by LH, and even less of extraordinary circumstances. If there is additional case law that would help, I certainly would appreciate learning about it.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by jpezaris
I believe the argument is that if a wildcat strike by LH employees is considered under the control of LH, an announced strike should be even farther away from the force majeure claimed by LH, and even less of extraordinary circumstances. If there is additional case law that would help, I certainly would appreciate learning about it.
Unfortunately not. In general, a strike means force majeure or extraordinary circumstances. There are a few exceptions, like wildcat strikes, cancellations before and after the official strike period. But a cancelation on a day of an announced strike is seen as force majeure and extraordinary circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.