Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian damaged my child stroller and won't pay compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikimedic
Saying that I can't prove that Austrian did it - is true. But in all sincerity, I know that Austrian is responsible, and Austrian knows that too. The question is will they do something about it, or decide to remain covered by legal interpretations and maintain their 'couldn't care less/we got away with the murder' attitude?

On burden of proof - what even if a luggage was reported as damaged at the airport - what difference would that make? it could have even been damaged BEFORE the flight, like as some of you said AFTER the flight.

Sure - anything is possible. The issue here is a (mis)trust.
that was my point, since its a he said - she said situation and OS or any carrier has what to rely on to avoid compensation, namely that it wasnt reported as needed to be at the airport they have what to rely on to turn down any and all compensation should they want to. At times a carrier will step up regardless, OS this time decided not to for whatever reason = I or you can yell till we turn blue it wont change OSs stand. The burden of proof is on us and you dont have any this time. I believe going the route of a lawyer or court will just mean you wasting your money
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Those luggage tags have your name on them. A simple internet search easily identifies you. For your sake I would remove these from your post.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:39 am

The law is not based on 'a common understanding' but on the norms, like the one you quoted above.
There is nothing in the norms that you quote about an obligation to report the damage at the airport. This is an invention by the carriers, as this what suits them best trying to minimize the effect of compensations they would otherwise be forced to pay.
The law says you have to bring proof the damaged happened while the baggage was in the airlines custody. How else do you want to bring that proof?

The rest of your comment just shows how little you know about travelling, yet you there to give out unsolicited advice. The fact that it was given at the aircraft on a tarmac only proves the lack of care by the Austrian staff who couldn't care less to keep it covered with the rest of the luggage and be delivered at the belt.
Well, leaving out any further comment about your first sentence which clearly is just a quite lame insult... So, here some additional unsolicited advice: There would have been the opportunity for you to get back at OS. If it was checked into the hold and they did not deliver it to the baggage claims area but soaking wet on the tarmac, I'd reported that right away. Problem solved.

So as you are the one who suggests to stick to the facts, pls apply this advice to yourself and don't conclude/impute unless you know the facts.
[...]
See attached, if you don't trust me.
You really want to be fight us here, do you? Just fight random strangers in a public board to vent your frustration?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by craz
that was my point, since its a he said - she said situation and OS or any carrier has what to rely on to avoid compensation, namely that it wasnt reported as needed to be at the airport they have what to rely on to turn down any and all compensation should they want to. At times a carrier will step up regardless, OS this time decided not to for whatever reason = I or you can yell till we turn blue it wont change OSs stand. The burden of proof is on us and you dont have any this time. I believe going the route of a lawyer or court will just mean you wasting your money
Have nothing to lose, as I am a lawyer myself and will do it myself, at a jurisdiction where they are unlikely to expect to be sued (with a minimum cost to me). The concept of having to report at the airport is a total BS invented by the airlines and not based in any legal norms. So time to do something about it.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:41 am
Suspended

Hahaha, I have never laughed so hard. This is great fun on a Friday afternoon!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Have nothing to lose, as I am a lawyer myself and will do it myself, at a jurisdiction where they are unlikely to expect to be sued (with a minimum cost to me). The concept of having to report at the airport is a total BS invented by the airlines and not based in any legal norms. So time to do something about it.
Yehaa! Get on with it! And make sure the proceedings will be published on all media channels known to men! You are the first who tried this and you will bring down the airline industry... over a broken stoller.

Oh, and by the way "a jurisdiction where they are unlikely to expect to be sued" won't fly... You need to check the CoC where it says:

If no court of jurisdiction results from the conditions of the Convention or other applicable law, legal action can only be lodged against us at the applicable court having subject-matter jurisdiction in Vienna. For legal actions against us by consumers the legalprovisions apply.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Look, as amusing as this is, can I just please make the final suggestion to you before this thread gets locked up (very soon I suspect):

You are not going to hear what you want to hear on this internet board. As you are a lawyer, consult with one of your learned colleagues and pursue OS in court in Vienna. Maybe it is just some opportunity cost, maybe you will have to pay something to get the ball rolling. But banging on about things you can't change on this board won't get you a cent (sorry, centime).
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Yehaa! Get on with it! And make sure the proceedings will be published on all media channels known to men! You are the first who tried this and you will bring down the airline industry... over a broken stoller.

Oh, and by the way "a jurisdiction where they are unlikely to expect to be sued" won't fly... You need to check the CoC where it says:
It will, believe me (or not). Up to you.
Certainly no need to check CoC written by the very same airline that is being sued.

Last edited by mikimedic; Aug 24, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Look, as amusing as this is, can I just please make the final suggestion to you before this thread gets locked up (very soon I suspect):

You are not going to hear what you want to hear on this internet board. As you are a lawyer, consult with one of your learned colleagues and pursue OS in court in Vienna. Maybe it is just some opportunity cost, maybe you will have to pay something to get the ball rolling. But banging on about things you can't change on this board won't get you a cent (sorry, centime).
I will not be pursuing this in Vienna, I can tell you that much. Now go ahead and keep laughing (you can also go to amazon for some additional flying devices):

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
If you are a lawyer you should know that it is in dubio pro reo and I can't see how you plan on provivg that the stroller was damaged by the airline.

I and I think eberybody else here believs that OS has damaged your stroller, but they will not pledge guilty, but hide behind their legal barriage and refuse any accusation whilr pointing out that you can't prove they did damage it.

But since you are based in Switzerland please let me know when and where the court hearing is, I'd love to attend as a guest.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 24, 2018 at 10:17 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art

If you are a lawyer you should know that it is in dubio pro reo and I can't see how you plan on provivg that the stroller was damaged by the airline.

I and I think eberybody else here believs that OS has damaged your stroller, but they will not pledge guilty, but hide behind their legal barriage and refuse any accusation whilr pointing out that you can't prove they did damage it.

But since you are based in Switzerland please let me know when and where the court hearing is, I'd love to attend as a guest.
Allow me to respond with a question - how is ANY damage to ANY luggage proven that is damaged by the airline?

I fully agree with your second sentence. On a court hearing, it won't be happening in Switzerland.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

When a suitcase arrives on the belt cracked in half, it’s obvious that it would not have been accepted for check in that way.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:16 am

On a court hearing, it won't be happening in Switzerland.
So, just out of curiosity... how do you want to sue OS outside of AT (according to the CoC, their HQ in Vienna) or in Switzerland (your place of residence)? In Cyprus since the flight originated there?

Originally Posted by LondonElite
When a suitcase arrives on the belt cracked in half, it’s obvious that it would not have been accepted for check in that way.
In Geneva for example luggage is checked-in automatically by the traveler - self baggage drop off.
That's why when you file the damage report at the airport they will inspect the baggage, make photos and produce a detailed write up of the condition of the baggage and its content. If it is obvious the damage is 'old' and has been this way for a long time, they will fight your for the compensation as well. The damage to the baggage needs to look 'fresh' and 'plausible'.

[redacted]

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:49 am Reason: talk about the topic, not a member
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Allow me to respond with a question - how is ANY damage to ANY luggage proven that is damaged by the airline?

I fully agree with your second sentence. On a court hearing, it won't be happening in Switzerland.
Had to step away for awhile, on this you are correct. and thats why many a person will patch up a damaged suitcase so that it gets by the agent tagging it and not put any valuables in it.That way when it comes out at the arrival airport, low and behold its damaged and the carrier will fix it or replace it and then all off a sudden he sees some very expensive items are missing once the baggage office accepts the claim.Same with a stroller. The carrier has no choice but to ante up even if they think a fast one is being pulled and they know this

thats why to make up for it they press hard when a claim wasnt made according to their T&Cs.I know you dont like the analogy but same with a rental car they know some damage will get by them eg leaning your bag against the car in the back if thats where it got damaged.They close you out you go on your way and bingo they find the damage after its being cleaned. they too know they wont catch a problem every time and thusly unless you can prove it was damaged when you drove out of the lot , its your fault

Now I have no idea if your stroller was in fact damaged when you left it on the jetway or if some ground personal or the plane itself damaged it as you claim. Thats partially no longer important and both sides cant prove what they say is the truth. what it comes down to is OSs T&Cs and they say a person must put in a claim while at the airport and not afterwards. You admit you didnt do that (with good reason) but the T&Cs dont say its OK not to make the report if you have good reason or didnt notice it. I guess if you can show why the T&Cs arent correct or reasonable maybe you will have a leg to stand on, my gut and decades of experiences with the airlines says otherwise.

If they were gonna throw you a bone they would have already as has been done to many folks even when the carrier had its T&Cs to fall back on OS decided in your case no bone, would this have been the 1st bone they would have thrown you? Or do you have a nice file of complaints with them till now?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It takes at least two parties to make a contract and this is OP's contract (COC) as well. If he thought that a Vienna court was the wrong venue for a petty, spiteful, and vindictive lawsuit, he should have found an air carrier willing to agree to a venue amenable to such lawsuits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.