Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian damaged my child stroller and won't pay compensation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Austrian damaged my child stroller and DECIDED TO PAY compensation

This is to update this thread that the Austrian Airlines accepted to provide compensation, so am fully satisfied with their resolution of this case.

Just got a positive response from Austrian airlines.

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your email dated August 9, 2018 and for your patience while
waiting for our reply.

We regret to learn about the damaged stroller in your flight to Geneva on August 6, 2018. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

As we did not receive any receipt of the damaged stroller, we have decided to partially cover these costs amounting to CHF 570 as a reimbursement.Please allow several days for the payment to clear. Thank you in advance for your patience in this respect.

We look forward to welcoming you on board with Austrian again.

Sincerely,

XXXX

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES

Feedback Management

Headoffice Office Park 2, P.O. Box 33,

A-1300 Vienna Airport, Austria

Fax +43 (0)5 1766 51002

www.austrian.com/feedback

END QUOTE
-----------------------------

Initial post:

In a nutshell, returning from LCA to GVA via VIE our child stroller was damaged/oil stains on several places plus a cut on a canopy, and a handle getting loose. Due to heavy rain, the VIE GVA flight was delayed and we received our stroller in front of the aircraft (as we were to be bused to the building) that was soaking wet. At the time didn't consider important that the stroller was wet, and no damage was visible on a wet stroller at the dark. The damage was clearly visible only the next morning on a daylight, once the stroller had dried.

On contacting the Austrian airlines, basically they refuse to do anything given that I didn't report it at the airport. They just couldn't care less about the stroller being delivered in front of the aircraft that was soaking wet. My correspondence with them is below. No comment on useless responses from their robotic staff that don't read emails they are responding to.

Thumbs down, Austrian, and never again.
---------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, 9 August, 2018 15:27
To: Central Baggage Tracing <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx//HDQOSxxxxx

So you are still not reading your emails. No problem, this will be entertaining in various flight related forums.
As already mentioned twice, this was already done.

As a matter of courtesy, I have filled out the feedback form on the website, referring to the file reference number of this case (included in the subject line of this email exchange)
END QUOTE

As for compensation, again pls read:

In any case, I maintain that Austrian Airlines is fully responsible for this damage and requesting that an adequate compensation be paid out as per details stipulated below within the reasonable time frame.
Failure to do so will result in legal action as well as informing all flight related social media (including publishing of this entire exchange) that I am a member of.

END QUOTE

Sent: 09 August 2018 15:24
To: Xxxxxx Mxxx

Subject: RE: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx/ /HDQOSxxxxx

Dear Mr. Mxxx,

the File number you received is from our department – The Central Baggage Tracing issued HDQOSxxxxx.
With this filenumber kindly contact our feedback department (see below - Internet: www.austrian.com/feedback )

Thank you and kind regards

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
Central Baggage Tracing
Head Office, Office Park 2, PO. 100
1300 Vienna Airport, Austria
[email protected]
www.austrian.com

Sent: Donnerstag, 09. August 2018 11:06
To: Central Baggage Tracing

Dear Ms. Xxxxx,

Please read the email before you respond to it.

As a matter of courtesy, I have filled out the feedback form on the website, referring to the file reference number of this case (included in the subject line of this email exchange)
END QUOTE

As for compensation, again pls read:

In any case, I maintain that Austrian Airlines is fully responsible for this damage and requesting that an adequate compensation be paid out as per details stipulated below within the reasonable time frame.
Failure to do so will result in legal action as well as informing all flight related social media (including publishing of this entire exchange) that I am a member of.
END QUOTE

Best regards, xxxxxx mxxx

Sent: 09 August 2018 10:52
Subject: FW: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx/ /HDQOSxxxxx

Dear Mr. Mxxx!

Please be so kind and contact our feedback team, to assure that your claim is properly worked on.
As the damage was not reported right at the airport, our office has issued the belated damage report.
For reimbursements, may I kindly refer to the link, which has been sent to you by my colleague, Ms. Lxxx, in her previous mail.
Thank you and kind regards

[email protected]
www.austrian.com

Sent: Donnerstag, 09. August 2018 10:20

Dear (Ms/Mr) Lxxx,
As a matter of courtesy, I have filled out the feedback form on the website, referring to the file reference number of this case (included in the subject line of this email exchange). Unfortunately there is no email address nor space to include in the feedback form all the details nor attachments presented below. Furthermore, I don’t understand why you were asking me to do so, when you could simply forward my email claim with attachments if you are not an appropriate department to deal with this (not to mention why in the first place Austrian Airlines informs passengers that issues related to damaged baggage be handled by Central Baggage Tracing, while now you are referring me to some feedback form? – is this a deliberate misleading?).

Best regards, xxxxxx mxxx

Sent: 09 August 2018 08:39

Dear Mr. Mxxx,
for request about maybe a courtesy solution please contact Feedback Management:
AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
FEEDBACK MANAGEMENT
P.O. BOX 33
1300 AIRPORT VIENNA
AUSTRIA
FAX: +43 5 1766 51002
Internet: www.austrian.com/feedback
Yours sincerely,
[email protected]
www.austrian.com

Sent: Mittwoch, 08. August 2018 14:50
To: Central Baggage Tracing;

Dear Mr Pxxxxx – in case my previous communications were not clear, let me reiterate that it was not possible to notice the damage at the airport given that we were presented with a stroller that was soaking wet in front of the aircraft and prior to boarding the bus to be brought to the gate; the damage on canopy was only visible once we arrived back home and the canopy dried.
Thank you for mentioning again the seven days deadline to report. I take note that I have duly reported the damage on the very next day.
Should you refuse to compensate my request I will resort to legal proceedings, and will reserve the right to publish this communication in a number of flight related and other social media.
Regards.

Sent: 08 August 2018 14:43
Subject: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx/ /HDQOSxxxxx

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Mxxx,
If the damage of your checked luggage has occurred while being in the custody of Austrian Airlines, it should have been reported, for reasons of proof and safety, right after the discovery of the damage at the airport.
Since this was not the case and it was reported belated, we assume a proper transfer of the luggage from Austrian to you.
The burden of proof is reversed after having left the airport. The luggage tags are a proof that you checked-in a luggage, but not a proof that the stroller was damaged while being in the custody of Austrian Airlines.
The damage can be reported within 7 days and we gladly issue a "Courtesy Damage Report" for you, which is valid for submission to private insurance companies or credit card institutes.
For future travel, we kindly recommend, that you report any damage to your baggage right after your arrival at the service desk of the respective airline.

Thank you and kind regards,

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
VIE O/GSB
Central Baggage Tracing

Head Office, Office Park II, P.B. 100
[email protected]
www.austrian.com

Sent: Mittwoch, 08. August 2018 12:00
To: Central Baggage Tracing;

Subject: RE: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx//HDQOSxxxxx

Dear sir/madame,
I wish to thank you for your speedy response. Please note however that I do not have private insurance that can cover this damage, for which I hold the Austrian Airlines fully responsible.
Please note that we have arrived to Geneva one hour later after our scheduled arrival time (landed at 22:45 instead of 21:45), and due to stroller being delivered soaking wet in front of the aircraft in dark it was not possible to see the damages until we arrived home and the stroller dried! I have not reported before, but using this opportunity now, that the canopy was in fact detached from the stroller seat, hence making it impossible to notice any damage until it was reattached and dried once we were back at home. You can also verify the timing that lapsed between the arrival time and my initial request for compensation.

Thank you also for referring me to your FAQs which I have read prior to sending the initial email, which also explain that:

If you do not notice damage or missing items in your bag until you have already left the airport, please report this to us within the legally stipulated period of seven days.
We will gladly issue a damage report for your insurance company. If you do not have private insurance, you must provide proof after leaving the airport that the damage was caused during the time that the bag was in the keeping of Austrian Airlines.
In order to draw up a damage report, we need the following information:
END QUOTE
Please note that the proof (luggage tags) were attached to my previous email.
Please consider this email as my formal request for compensation, otherwise I will be forced to initiate legal means to receive this compensation and inform interested parties by way of social media.
Thank you in advance, xxxxxx mxxx

Sent: 08 August 2018 11:34
Subject: Austrian Airlines/DPR/Mxxx/ /HDQOSxxxxx

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Mxxx,

We are very sorry for all inconveniences.

Since you have reported your bag as damaged after you have left the airport, we kindly ask you to check the conditions for the subsequent damage claim within seven days of arrival on our website at http://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying/MissingBaggage.

Please find below the damage report, which is based on your information, for your private insurance.
For future travel we highly recommend to always report any damage to your luggage to the local arrival service desk at the airport.
Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and remain
Yours Sincerely,

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
VIE O/GSB
Central Baggage Tracing
Head Office, Office Park II, P.B. 100
[email protected]
www.austrian.com

Sent: Dienstag, 07. August 2018 13:02

Subject: EMAIL 1 out of 2 DUE TO SIZE: Damaged child stroller - noticed upon arrival; passenger flights LCA VIE OS0832 / VIE GVA OS0577 06/08/2018

Please note that the video clip mentioned below will be sent separately due to size
-----------------------------

Dear sir/madame,
With reference to the stroller that we brought on the Austrian flight from Larnaca via Vienna to Geneva, would like to make the following damage compensation request.
Details of the registered stroller/passenger:

Xxxxxx Mxxx
flights LCA VIE OS0832 / VIE GVA OS0577
Booking ref: UXXXXX
e-ticket no: 220xxxxxxxxxx
flights: flights LCA VIE OS0832 / VIE GVA OS0577 on 06/08/2018

(please note that this was a joint/family booking under the same reference number with Mxxxxx/XXX Mxxx; the luggage tags were recorded under XXX MXXX)

Pls find attached a video clip (sent separately due to size) showing damage to our stroller that we discovered upon arrival to our home in Geneva. The handle is very loose and before the trip it was in a fixed position; Now it looks like it will easily be detached/broken; we believe that the stroller frame needs to be replaced.
I am also attaching four photos of the damaged canopy.

File 120055: damage/cut (approx. 0.5cm to the canopy)
File 115834: the same damage/cut from wider angle for better view
File 120610: damage/black stain (approx. 3cm in length)
File 115802: damage/black stain (aprrox 5cm in length)
File Cybex Priam receipt – shows the original receipt as a proof of purchase/price:
Purchased on 16/02/2018 – Price: 1139 CHF.
The final PDF attachment includes the original luggage/stroller tags for both parts of the stroller (i.e. frame and seat/canopy), scanned from both sides.
Please note that due to delayed arrival from Vienna to Geneva it was not possible to notice/report this damage immediately at the airport.

I am certain that the Austrian airlines will properly assess the damage made and issue a compensation.
Would be grateful if the compensation can be paid to the following account:
Account in CHF
Account in EUR
Holder Mr. Xxxxxx Mxxx
Beneficiary address:

Thank you and best regards, Xxxxxx Mxxx

Last edited by mikimedic; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:41 am Reason: Update on solution found
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:51 pm

1) You should remove all of your personal information (name, booking ref, e-ticket no, etc) and also names from the Austrian staff (alerted mods to rectify if needed)
2) Sorry to say, but you will not get any compensation from OS and you will get nowhere... Why should they? The damage might have happened after they handed over the stroller back to you. Lesson to be learned - and then move on - is, always check for damage to checked luggage at the airport before leaving the baggage claims area.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

As mentioned, the damage was not noticable as it was delivered soaking wet. And yes, i thought wet stroller is not worth reporting it.
It is hardly unlikely that such a damage could happen between 1am (when we got home) and 11am next morning when I noticed it?

Why should I remove my name, and in particular Austrian 'couldn't care less' staff?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Do you have access to a system like we have in the UK for making small claims through the court? Basically you submit your case on line with any additional evidence, it comes to court automatically and if Austrian did not want a judgement in your favour they would have to turn up and defend it. I would bet they wouldn't.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:57 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Honestly, out of a legal stand point you won't get anywhere. Unless you have a picture with a time stamp that clearly shows the damage right after you received the stroller I don't see how you could prove that the damaged has been caused by Austrian Airlines. And as the saying goes (in dubio pro reo): The condition of the defendant is to be favored rather than that of the plaintiff.
I say if you were to go to small claims court, I'm sure you would lose given the current cirumstances as you can't prove that the damage was actually caused by Austrian Airlines.
You can, however, always hope they will pay part of it out of curtesy (as with the circumstances you described, it would have been difficult to see the damage, this however, will not hold up in court).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mikimedic
As mentioned, the damage was not noticable as it was delivered soaking wet. And yes, i thought wet stroller is not worth reporting it.
It is hardly unlikely that such a damage could happen between 1am (when we got home) and 11am next morning when I noticed it?
Well, same logic applies with rental cars. You take it out of the garage and as soon as you pass the exit gates, you accept the condition as reported in the contract - or you have to stop, fill the damages report and get it acknowledged by a representative of the rental car company. If you return 10 hours later with an enormous ding in the side of the car without it being recorded in the rental contract papers... they will hold you liable for it. Even if you say "I didn't do it, I didn't saw it in the garage as it was dark but there is no way this could have happened in the last 10 hours?!"

I do not see any reason why the damage could not have happened e.g. when the stroller was loaded/unloaded into the trunk of the cab picking you up or a neighbor losing control over his dirty bike which then crashed into your parked stroller early in the morning, or, or, or... actually, OS could even think you damaged the stroller intentionally do claim for damages and buy a new one - the old one was dirty. Not saying, anything like this happened. Don't get me wrong! Just to show you that the sentence "It is hardly unlikely that such a damage could happen between 1am (when we got home) and 11am next morning when I noticed it?" holds no meaning over what happened.

From OS point of view, they delivered your baggage at the airport. You left the airport with the baggage as delivered. By doing so, you accepted the condition, very much like the rental car analogy.

Another thing, not directly related to the case but about addressing airline customer services in general. Becoming nasty, underlining bold text and claiming they don't read you and you will make a big stink on social media... well, that does not help your case. I'm very sure, they read your text, they just dismissed the case as they do not see any reason for them to do anything for you. Email ping pong getting more and more angry won't solve this. Mostly you will be just flagged as another annoying passenger who can't accept that he will lose this one and eventually you just get some canned response.

Originally Posted by mikimedic
Why should I remove my name, and in particular Austrian 'couldn't care less' staff?
You might not mind having your name and personal details published somewhere in the net, but the customer services agents might and have the right you respect that.
wrp96 and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP did not report the damage on the spot and hence OS won't pay. He may try a lawsuit and prove his damages if he wishes. While nobody can account for the behavior of any one judge in any one court in any one case, OP will almost certainly lose and it appears that OS has made up its mind. Perhaps OS wants to make an example of this case and would be quite pleased to have the word get out that it stands by its policy.

On a purely factual note, while it might remotely be understandable --- although not relevant -- that OP could not see the stains due to the damp weather, it is hard to understand how the dampness affected the other two physical defects.

While OP has created his own problem, this is a public forum and issues arise for others. Two suggestions:

1. Strollers belong in stroller bags. Aircraft holds are filthy and unhygenic. At least the oil stains are visible. Those bags are obtainable from Amazon in the EUR 10 range. I would never put my child back into a stroller which has come unprotected from the hold unless I had undertaken a thorough cleaning (a bit hard at an airport).

2. OP's entire [redacted] are a very bad idea. Threats and the like to carriers do not go over well. OS would most likely prefer that OP take his future business elsewhere and will do little by way of a discretionary customer service matter to assist him.
wrp96 and Nick Art like this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:23 am Reason: talk about the topic, not a member
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: LX SEN
I am more sympathetic to OP than the other posters. Of course, it is always better to anounce damages immediately, at the airport. But it may happen that damages get visible only later. I believe that the airline should have made a gesture.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Nic33
I am more sympathetic to OP than the other posters. Of course, it is always better to anounce damages immediately, at the airport. But it may happen that damages get visible only later. I believe that the airline should have made a gesture.
While carriers sometimes will make a "gesture" in lieu of paying compensation, it is hard to imagine why OS would do so given OP's [redacted] tone. The reason to make the gesture is to reassure the customer for future purposes. Here, OS most likely does not want that.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:24 am Reason: talk about the topic, not a member
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
The OP is writing that "our child stroller was damaged/oil stains on several places plus a cut on a canopy, and a handle getting loose."
I may understand that the oil strains might eventually not easily been visible, when he got the stroller at the aircraft, but the loose handle should have been easily visible the moment one opens it.
Therefore - beside the official ruling that one has to check one's baggage at the airport for damage - I believe his story has somewhere a "hole" and therefore understand and share OS's position.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Dear OP, your post is far too long (I believe the cool kids say TL,DR these days). Your tone, particularly the part about legal proceedings and social media, is pretty off-putting. Which is it going to be? Are you going to appoint a lawyer, for which you'll have to shell out some initial fees, or are you going to bombard Mumsnet with stories about how OS kills strollers. Come on, please be serious. I think you missed the point where a customer services gesture would have been forthcoming. Check your home insurance whether they will cover this, if you don't have travel insurance.

As with car rentals, once you leave the building, it's all on you. Lesson learned.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your tone, particularly the part about legal proceedings and social media, is pretty off-putting. Which is it going to be? Are you going to appoint a lawyer, for which you'll have to shell out some initial fees, or are you going to bombard Mumsnet with stories about how OS kills strollers. Come on, please be serious.
Clearly, OP was not looking for help here. My guess, OP[redacted] to get back at OS for not getting the compensation he was looking for. In general... I guess, OS couldn't care less. Posts with this attitude rarely help to raise some sympathies

In case OP would like to take OS to court I think every good lawyer would probably tell him to drop it... and the $250 first consultation fee would get down the drain as well. A bad lawyer might take it to court, drag it on and on an on... and called their contractor to get his nifty Tuscan tiles for their new spa in the basement. OP will pay either way.
LondonElite likes this.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:25 am Reason: talk about the topic, not a member
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Do you have access to a system like we have in the UK for making small claims through the court? Basically you submit your case on line with any additional evidence, it comes to court automatically and if Austrian did not want a judgement in your favour they would have to turn up and defend it. I would bet they wouldn't.
No, unfortunately I don't. At least don't think so, here in Switzerland.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Except it's not quite as easy as not showing up = payday. The conditions around baggage handling are quite well laid out by most airlines.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Honestly, out of a legal stand point you won't get anywhere. Unless you have a picture with a time stamp that clearly shows the damage right after you received the stroller I don't see how you could prove that the damaged has been caused by Austrian Airlines. And as the saying goes (in dubio pro reo): The condition of the defendant is to be favored rather than that of the plaintiff.
I say if you were to go to small claims court, I'm sure you would lose given the current cirumstances as you can't prove that the damage was actually caused by Austrian Airlines.
You can, however, always hope they will pay part of it out of curtesy (as with the circumstances you described, it would have been difficult to see the damage, this however, will not hold up in court).
That's the whole point - of course I don't have such a photo; if I noticed the damage on a soaking wet stroller during heavy rainfall at 11pm in Geneva with a crying baby at hands, I would have still reported it to them at the airport. Probably. Or probably not. What would you do?

Sure the last thing on my mind under those circumstances would be to take photos. At dark.

It's very simple - Austrian can decide to be nice for once and keep a customer happy; or decide to ignore this and show their true 'couldn't care less' face, as their employees whose names are not to be mentioned. I am not asking anyone's courtesy nor mercy. I am simply asking for compensation for the damage made by Austrian.

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, same logic applies with rental cars. You take it out of the garage and as soon as you pass the exit gates, you accept the condition as reported in the contract - or you have to stop, fill the damages report and get it acknowledged by a representative of the rental car company. If you return 10 hours later with an enormous ding in the side of the car without it being recorded in the rental contract papers... they will hold you liable for it. Even if you say "I didn't do it, I didn't saw it in the garage as it was dark but there is no way this could have happened in the last 10 hours?!"

I do not see any reason why the damage could not have happened e.g. when the stroller was loaded/unloaded into the trunk of the cab picking you up or a neighbor losing control over his dirty bike which then crashed into your parked stroller early in the morning, or, or, or... actually, OS could even think you damaged the stroller intentionally do claim for damages and buy a new one - the old one was dirty. Not saying, anything like this happened. Don't get me wrong! Just to show you that the sentence "It is hardly unlikely that such a damage could happen between 1am (when we got home) and 11am next morning when I noticed it?" holds no meaning over what happened.

From OS point of view, they delivered your baggage at the airport. You left the airport with the baggage as delivered. By doing so, you accepted the condition, very much like the rental car analogy.

Another thing, not directly related to the case but about addressing airline customer services in general. Becoming nasty, underlining bold text and claiming they don't read you and you will make a big stink on social media... well, that does not help your case. I'm very sure, they read your text, they just dismissed the case as they do not see any reason for them to do anything for you. Email ping pong getting more and more angry won't solve this. Mostly you will be just flagged as another annoying passenger who can't accept that he will lose this one and eventually you just get some canned response.

You might not mind having your name and personal details published somewhere in the net, but the customer services agents might and have the right you respect that.
You can decide - to trust me, or trust Austrian. Simply your choice. And sorry, but disagree on the names withheld. If I can publish my name, certainly can theirs too. By your logic, every CEO would have the right to remain anonymous?

Originally Posted by Nic33
Thanks Nic - you got my point.

Originally Posted by Often1
While carriers sometimes will make a "gesture" in lieu of paying compensation, it is hard to imagine why OS would do so given OP's [redacted]
Did you notice any 'shrill and condescedning tone' in my initial, or subsequent email?

Originally Posted by athome
The OP is writing that "our child stroller was damaged/oil stains on several places plus a cut on a canopy, and a handle getting loose."
I may understand that the oil strains might eventually not easily been visible, when he got the stroller at the aircraft, but the loose handle should have been easily visible the moment one opens it.
Therefore - beside the official ruling that one has to check one's baggage at the airport for damage - I believe his story has somewhere a "hole" and therefore understand and share OS's position.
The loose handle alone is simply not worth reporting. And I couldn't care less about stroller being wet if there was no tons of stains on it next morning.
And you find it quite normal that a soaking wet stroller is delivered on tarmac, outside the aircraft?

Originally Posted by fassy
Clearly, OP was not looking for help here. My guess, OP won't be back at all.
Your guess was wrong.

Last edited by oliver2002; Aug 28, 2018 at 1:28 am Reason: please use multiquote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.