Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Correct crediting of award (not status) miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.

Hi
Just checked my account properly the first time since the new revenue calculation of award miles was introduced. Have had a bunch of LX flights since then, and have noticed that on a number of flights the award miles posted are even way lower (often 50% off) than what they should be under the (mostly lower) new system. Obviously will take this up with MM, and somewhat miffed having to manually recalculate all the award miles now! Wondering if just my bad luck, or whether there is a pattern to this. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wtravel
Hi
Just checked my account properly the first time since the new revenue calculation of award miles was introduced. Have had a bunch of LX flights since then, and have noticed that on a number of flights the award miles posted are even way lower (often 50% off) than what they should be under the (mostly lower) new system. Obviously will take this up with MM, and somewhat miffed having to manually recalculate all the award miles now! Wondering if just my bad luck, or whether there is a pattern to this. Thanks.
Are you taking into account that it's only really the base fare plus YQ that goes into the calculation?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Are you taking into account that it's only really the base fare plus YQ that goes into the calculation?
Yes, and the correct exchange rate into EUR, etc. Some flights are ok, some flights are way off and there are actually even a few flights with the status miles having been posted correctly, while award miles are 0. So obviously something wrong with the system.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Also, the base fare is exchanged to EUR before the award miles are calculated
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andywaw
Also, the base fare is exchanged to EUR before the award miles are calculated
Yes, I have also taken that into account using their conversion provider.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: LX HON

Originally Posted by yurtripper
After reading this, I wonder how off the system really is. Here is an example:

Booked and paid two legs P/Z through Swiss online:
CHF 183.00: Fare
CHF 14.00: International Surcharge
CHF 0.00: SWISS Service Fee
CHF 35.00: Airport Passenger Security & Noise Charge Switzerland
CHF 8.55: Air Transport Tax Germany
CHF 6.00: Airport Security Charge Germany
CHF 19.15: Passenger Service Charge Germany
CHF 4.00: OPC
According to The Miles&More Award FAQ, the calculation should be: fare (ticket price + surcharges levied by the Miles & More partner airline) x factor = number of award miles earned. The amount of the currency you paid is converted into euros at the conversion rate valid at the time the ticket was issued.

EUR face value of the invoice date for the fare (for arguments sake I only take the 183 CHF @ 0.855 trade value without surcharges) would have been ~162 EUR, which means, according to the system, I should have received at least 972 award miles. Looking at the account history, I received 108 award miles for the P leg and 144 award miles for the Z leg, totaling 252 award miles instead of 972. What's even weirder is that on some occasions I even get an executive bonus on award miles plus the same amount of award miles as status or HON circle miles; mostly on paid D or A. Though not for flights to the USA.
Looking at my balance sheet for the past roughly 100 flights since this new system was put in place, this would mean that I'm probably missing out on about 50k award miles since the new system was put in place. The same thing seems to be happening with the 25 times award for bookings done in September for flights in the last quarter. They are not at all credited at 25 times the fare.

Did I miss something? Does anyone have a clue?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
I have asked M&M about this calculation and they said the exec bonus is now added to award miles. and up to 50% more on some fares.
I recently flew BCN FRA VCE return in K class and I got 36 miles on FRA VCE leg and 120 miles on BCN FRA leg, although it was 125 + 33 exec. bonus before. They also said that the price paid is multiplied by 6 /the M&M page said x 5) but even if I follow this I never get the same amount of what I was credited.
What LH did with this new calculation is total mess, I am unable to calculate exact amount of miles for my flights whatsoever and if I use the app mileage calculator, it is really time consuming.

If I check your ticket then in my oponion it should be 183 + 14 = 197 CHF into EUR is about 180€. Then 180 x 5 = 800 miles for the whole ticket. I am unsure if this already includes the 25% exec, bonus. The total mileage have to be split into number of flights, but the total should be more or less what you used to get. 950/1000 miles.
What I am concerned here is that the STATUS miles are lower than they were before, that means you need more flights to achieve the status.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by moreaki
After reading this, I wonder how off the system really is. Here is an example:

Booked and paid two legs P/Z through Swiss online:
CHF 183.00: Fare
CHF 14.00: International Surcharge
CHF 0.00: SWISS Service Fee
CHF 35.00: Airport Passenger Security & Noise Charge Switzerland
CHF 8.55: Air Transport Tax Germany
CHF 6.00: Airport Security Charge Germany
CHF 19.15: Passenger Service Charge Germany
CHF 4.00: OPC

Yes - M&M calculations are still all over. I had wrong amounts for company paid tickets (where they took price = 0 since it was a negotiated price) - however this should be normally fixed now. Then some calculations that seemed to be ok. Then I got once the status miles (incl. exec bonus) as award miles (i.e. old system),

Btw- in Switzerland, you can claim the OPC back from your credit card company, since this is not allowed anymore (but obviously, LH/Swiss and many others don't care about...)
moreaki likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
I have asked M&M about this calculation and they said the exec bonus is now added to award miles. and up to 50% more on some fares.
That's interesting. I wonder which fare class is affected.

I've just checked some flights from June for which I happen to have kept a screenshot of miles earned. This is what appeared in my M&M account in July.

And here are the same flights appearing in my M&M account now.

It's good to know I now have 813 more award miles for those flights than I initially received but it doesn't give me much confidence whether I am receiving the correct number of award miles for other flights.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
How did you get these additional award miles ? Did you ask them ?
I just checked my history and cannot see any changes...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
How did you get these additional award miles ? Did you ask them ?
No, I didn’t ask. The miles just appeared.

There were other (possibly display) errors I could have reported, e.g. discrepancies between the web version of my M&M account and on the LH/M&M app but I didn’t get round to reporting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.