Affixing items to checked baggage.

Hey there.

Bit of a specific question.

Flying:
MAN - FRA (Lufthansa)
FRA - ORD (United)

ORD - FRA (Lufthansa)
FRA - MAN (Lufthansa)

I have slightly bulky but light stuff to take.

I have two ideas about affixing items to the outside of my checked baggage.

1. Using carabiners to attach my sleeping bag (in compression sack) to a handle. (Possibly using bin bags and duct tape to keep handles and straps out of harms way).
2. Putting my pillow in a bin bag and duct taping it to one of the larger flat sides of my suitcase.

Am I going to get screwed if I turn up to the airport with either of these?

Looking for advice on whether or not to try it/alternatives/past experiences.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:17 pm

moved it over to the LH / Miles & More forum thread where you might get better feedback since most of your travel is on LH metal, and usually they'll be more strict than UA. Welcome to FT!

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; May 17, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both LH and UA define bag size to include the entire package. If you attach a pillow to the outside of a bag, it better be a really small bag for it to meet the dimension limits for a checked bag. If you go over the dimension limits, the extra fees are astronomical on both carriers.

Bear in mind that aircraft cargo holds are filthy, things leak, and the like. Anything you do attach will likely need to be in some kind of plastic pouch such as a travel stroller pouch.

My guess, however, is that you will be better off with an extra piece of luggage, even for a fee, than over-dimension bags.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

The only problem there is that Lufthansa want $250 for an extra bag.

It's actually *only* $150 if my bag is either oversize or heavier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.