Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LOT Kafeteria 2018-23 (retired)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by marcoos
67 workers on strike have been fired from LOT. Situation does not appear to be calming.
Why? I thought they had a right to strike. Unless Polish law doesn’t allow it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LCA was op by a VLM 321 (OO-SBA). I thought VLM were bust?

Theres still a lot of canx today.

I’m guessing it’s the young crew on strike, with the crap contracts? For what LOT pay them they would be better workinf in a call centre. Once you’ve exhausted the LO network on non-rev, time to move on... that’s what the lounge staff do.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
B2B contracted "one-man-companies" cannot strike. The strike is being done mostly by actual employees belonging to ZZPPiL (flight attendants union) and ZZPK (pilots union) with support of the country-level trade unions OPZZ and OZZ Inicjatywa Pracownicza, though the demands are also in the interest of the currently-B2B'ed people. A few B2B pilots have reportedly protested as well, anyway. Some B2B crews got premiums for flying during strike, but gave that surplus money to the protesting employees.

There is a conflict of opinion on the legality of strike: the unions say it's legal, the CEO says it's illegal, both referring to the same court statement. The CEO claims the people on strike have broken the contracts and considers them summarily discharged - by text messages and emails, which, the unions claim, have no legal value.

The unions claim some of the flight attendant crews still working do not have valid papers for the flights they're on. Civil Aviation Authority (ULC) had reportedly ordered some people not to fly due to invalid documents on one flight, but that decision was almost immediately revoked after a call from LOT management to ULC.

Here's the flyer the unions are giving away around at WAW and to passers-by near LOT HQ, which is, funnily, located at "ul. Komitetu Obrony Robotników", "Workers' Defense Committee Street", named after the anti-Communist organization that later gave birth to "Solidarity". Also, the current trade union using the name and logo of the original "Solidarity", affiliated to the ruling party, does not support this strike.

This FB page seems to be run by the unions and reports what's happening near LOT HQ.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
List of today's flights that were cancelled:

LO375/376 WAW-NUE-WAW
LO79/80 WAW-NRT-WAW
LO97/98 WAW-ICN-WAW
LO45/46 WAW-YYZ-WAW
LO285/LO286 WAW-LHR-WAW
LO333/LO334 WAW-CDG-WAW
LO3937/LO3938 WAW-SZZ-WAW
LO3827/LO3828 WAW-GDN-WAW
LO3983/LO3984 WAW-IEG-WAW
LO401/LO402 WAW-HAM-WAW
LO679/LO680 WAW-DME-WAW
LO391/LO392 WAW-TXL-WAW
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:28 pm

Why is it no longer possible to change seats on lot.com?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by iLied
Some time ago I managed to do this via lufthansa.com (they both use Altea).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by marcoos
List of today's flights that were cancelled:

LO79/80 WAW-NRT-WAW
LO97/98 WAW-ICN-WAW
LO45/46 WAW-YYZ-WAW
Wow... 3 long-hauls - how will they find space on other airlines to repatriate all these folks?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:37 am
Original Poster

I can't remember a time when it has been possible. You could either do it during the booking process (directly through lot.com) or later via customer services/social media as the website will not let you.

G
N1003U likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Wow... 3 long-hauls - how will they find space on other airlines to repatriate all these folks?
Lots of options via Star Alliance hubs.

G
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I was on BA871 yesterday departing Warsaw at 20:35, before check in plane looked empty, but thanks to LOT's cancellation, it got many pax moved onto our flight. Good to see LOT using other airlines than *A to get pax to their destination.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I can't remember a time when it has been possible. You could either do it during the booking process (directly through lot.com) or later via customer services/social media as the website will not let you.

G
I’ve seen it be possible early on this year. I don’t understand their IT at times.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
I was on BA871 yesterday departing Warsaw at 20:35, before check in plane looked empty, but thanks to LOT's cancellation, it got many pax moved onto our flight. Good to see LOT using other airlines than *A to get pax to their destination.
Most airlines have agreements with most other airlines so they can get passengers to their destinations. Depending on the route, there will be a priority list and for LOT it’ll be to check *A first. I don’t think other *A carriers fly to LHR direct from WAW so makes sense to book people onto this flight first.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Some time ago I managed to do this via lufthansa.com (they both use Altea).
I’m able to do it via the other carriers site, surprinsingly.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Most airlines have agreements with most other airlines so they can get passengers to their destinations. Depending on the route, there will be a priority list and for LOT it’ll be to check *A first. I don’t think other *A carriers fly to LHR direct from WAW so makes sense to book people onto this flight first.

Indeed - and mostly considering that LOT cancelled the last flight of the day to LHR (presumably packed with connecting passengers arriving after 7PM and therefore not even allowing space for alternative arrangements via FRA/MUC/VIE/ZRH) hence the only choice they would have had was paying hotel and indeed compensation. I had a few instances when KLM pro-actively cancelled flights to AMS due to adverse weather and I was automatically rebooked on LOT/Lufthansa, not uncommon at all (even though some airlines are extremely reluctant to offer alternative via other carriers), more recently a missed connection at JFK (Delta), which again resulted in rebooking arrangements through other carrier (LOT/JFK-WAW instead of the original routing via AMS).

G
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Indeed - and mostly considering that LOT cancelled the last flight of the day to LHR (presumably packed with connecting passengers arriving after 7PM and therefore not even allowing space for alternative arrangements via FRA/MUC/VIE/ZRH) hence the only choice they would have had was paying hotel and indeed compensation. I had a few instances when KLM pro-actively cancelled flights to AMS due to adverse weather and I was automatically rebooked on LOT/Lufthansa, not uncommon at all (even though some airlines are extremely reluctant to offer alternative via other carriers), more recently a missed connection at JFK (Delta), which again resulted in rebooking arrangements through other carrier (LOT/JFK-WAW instead of the original routing via AMS).

G
In the end it’ll come down to what will cost LOT the least in the long run. I think using a non *A carrier is cheaper than routing on a *A carrier connecting via somewhere else. I suspect some will take the connecting option so that LOT aren’t trying to put a whole plane inside a second. (I’ve seen this on British trains work unsuccessfully.) LOT have been reluctant to sell me tickets involving other carriers, despite the routing being a perfectly valid LOT routing. As I understand it, they try to rebook first on their own flights, then it’s the same alliance (if applicable) and after that other world airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.