Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LOT Kafeteria 2018-23 (retired)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew LO 280, LHR-WAW last night and, as promised, I can report that there are no curtains installed on the 737-800. The service was just as described upthread, and it was quite good for a flight of around two hours. LO's South African Shiraz is quite drinkable, especially compared to what Air Canada and United dish out!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:13 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Thank you for reporting back, highly appreciated!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by klausa
Is there a "trick" to getting LO to respond to EU261 claims in a reasonably speedy fashion? I'm waiting over a month now for any response (a fairly easy case, plane went MX, got rebooked to next day) and dunno if I should chase them down somehow or just wait it out.
Did you get a confirmation by email of your claim being lodged? You should chase them up anyway. I helped a friend file a claim recently for a cancellation and forced stopover in SOF. It took only 2-3 weeks for him to get paid.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Did you get a confirmation by email of your claim being lodged? You should chase them up anyway. I helped a friend file a claim recently for a cancellation and forced stopover in SOF. It took only 2-3 weeks for him to get paid.
I was on LO004/379 on 13/14AUG which was scheduled to arrive FRA at 19:00, and finally arrived at 23:17.

I filed a claim about a week ago via the LO customer service website, and received a confirmation. I will report back how long a reply takes and what the reply was.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
LOT's current E170s are getting their seat comfort enhanced with six more seats squeezed in per plane.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Them O/U class tix don’t pay for themselves! 😋
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:34 am
TPJ

A small HISTORICAL QUIZ

So today is Oct 3 and the last activity here was on Sep 24, huh?!

How about giving you a challenge with my small historical quiz?

No official prize, but if happen to be in KRK or WAW please send me a message and I will buy you a drink.

1. Secret’ IL8 flights

It is 1988. It is People’s Republic of Poland and the Wall is still there. During the evening a small international terminal of WAW Okecie airport is busy. LO IL8 (Ilyushin 18) is preparing for a certain ‘secret’ flight to a certain destination (not in the communist part of Europe). It is a red eye departing daily at 22.10. Could you name this LO destination? Would you be able to identify the purpose of this LO flight? .

2. SVO

It is 1987. Could you name 4 airlines that operate flights between WAW and SVO? This is a bit tricky as one of these airlines doesn’t have local traffic rights, but is indeed flying between WAW and SVO.

3. F/A bases

It is 1988. There are 2 airlines in Poland (but not necessarily Polish) that have F/A bases in WAW. Could you identify these airlines?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
@2: Obviously LO and SU. Third I'd say YU? fourth no idea.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
#1 - My rough guess is: secret flights to Beirut, providing weapons to Lebanon. Though those were usually happening on Antonovs, so I'm not that sure here.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by marcoos
#1 - My rough guess is: secret flights to Beirut, providing weapons to Lebanon. Though those were usually happening on Antonovs, so I'm not that sure here.
Might have been flying advisors in or something.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:08 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
@2: Obviously LO and SU. Third I'd say YU? fourth no idea.
LO and SU - correct. These 2 additional airlines were from Western Europe
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:10 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by marcoos
Area is almost correct, but city is wrong.

The purpose was not as illegal as providing weapons, but these flights were not listed in any official LO timetable.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Exposure of LO operations to increasing fuel prices, etc.

I was recently having an offline discussion with someone about the vulnerability of LO to increasing fuel prices. One camp seemed to be of the opinion that since they don't hedge fuel contracts, and LO is anyway in the best of times one small mistake away from financial disaster, that the recent fuel price increases will be devastating, perhaps even inflicting mortal wounds. Basically, the argument is that low fuel prices are covering for a host of other sins.

The other camp (which I lean toward, but could be persuaded otherwise), thinks with an updated long-haul fleet that has excellent fuel burn, gradual modernization of the short-haul fleet (which will also save fuel costs), some room to increase prices, and the general health of the Polish/Eastern EU economy will allow LO to muddle through the next fuel price bubble and/or economic turbulence.

Does anyone here have a thoughtful, well-informed opinion/analysis (even illogical, ill-informed speculations are OK, too) on what LO will do/what will happen when the next round of economic headwinds come?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:21 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by TPJ

1. Secret’ IL8 flights

It is 1988. It is People’s Republic of Poland and the Wall is still there. During the evening a small international terminal of WAW Okecie airport is busy. LO IL8 (Ilyushin 18) is preparing for a certain ‘secret’ flight to a certain destination (not in the communist part of Europe). It is a red eye departing daily at 22.10. Could you name this LO destination? Would you be able to identify the purpose of this LO flight? .

2. SVO

It is 1987. Could you name 4 airlines that operate flights between WAW and SVO? This is a bit tricky as one of these airlines doesn’t have local traffic rights, but is indeed flying between WAW and SVO.

3. F/A bases

It is 1988. There are 2 airlines in Poland (but not necessarily Polish) that have F/A bases in WAW. Could you identify these airlines?
These are the answers:

1. It was IST.

In 1998 communism was virtually collapsing, but shops were still empty (like empty-empty, and not that some goods were temporarily not available). The government started giving certain trusted people passports to go to Turkey to buy goods and then resell them in Poland. The trip was on a red eye IL8 flight to IST where folks were spending a day in the Grand Bazaar buying goods and then taking another red eye back to WAW.

2. LO/SU/SR (Swissair as part of the ZRH-WAW-SVO route)/KL (as part of the AMS-WAW-SVO route, no traffic rights between WAW and SVO)

3. LO and PA (PAA - Pan American World Airways)

PA WAW-based F/A's were operating on all Eastern European routes that in the summer 1988 included B727's flights from FRA to the following destinations: WAW; KRK via PRG; LED via SVO; OTP via BUD; DBV via ZAG; BEG via ZAG. This F/A base survived the PAA bankruptcy and was taken over by DL. It existed till 1998 or 1999 and was closed as the last non-US base.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
These are the answers:

1. It was IST.

In 1998 communism was virtually collapsing, but shops were still empty (like empty-empty, and not that some goods were temporarily not available). The government started giving certain trusted people passports to go to Turkey to buy goods and then resell them in Poland. The trip was on a red eye IL8 flight to IST where folks were spending a day in the Grand Bazaar buying goods and then taking another red eye back to WAW.
Going to Grand Bazaar to buy stuff to sell in Poland?

wow.

Originally Posted by TPJ
2. LO/SU/SR (Swissair as part of the ZRH-WAW-SVO route)/KL (as part of the AMS-WAW-SVO route, no traffic rights between WAW and SVO)
I thought it might have been KL.

Originally Posted by TPJ
3. LO and PA (PAA - Pan American World Airways)

PA WAW-based F/A's were operating on all Eastern European routes that in the summer 1988 included B727's flights from FRA to the following destinations: WAW; KRK via PRG; LED via SVO; OTP via BUD; DBV via ZAG; BEG via ZAG. This F/A base survived the PAA bankruptcy and was taken over by DL. It existed till 1998 or 1999 and was closed as the last non-US base.
Fascinating. I'd have thought they'd just base these crews in Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.