Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by hugolover
Are you coming from WAW or FRA?
FRA
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by N1003U
Wow, we've been at this for over a year now (looking back to Post #1 ), and we are still discussing the thread name!?
Somehow I find it encouraging: it makes me believe the spirit of the thread is not only alive, but thriving.

Anyway, what I thought was going to be a temporary travel hack of transiting from FRA to ORD via WAW (the crazy LH/UA pricing between FRA and ORD and the aggressive LO pricing to almost anywhere ex-DACH attracted me to try LO in the first place) has now become quite a habit of nearly two years, interrupted only by the occasional FRA/ORD nonstop when LH screws up and actually publishes a competitive fare.

So on my upcoming journey to ORD, I have found a rather attractively-priced option of traveling via KRK, with about 2-3 hours of connect time. My problem: I know nothing about KRK (what the connection hazards are, options in case the flight cancels, airport environment, etc.).

With my ignorance of KRK in mind, may I challenge this friendly Kafeteria group to suggest (seriously or not), some things I can do during my transfer at KRK, and what I might do in the (likely or unlikely?) event of IRROPS?

For example:
  • what are the KRK airside (or nearby landside) food options?
  • what are my options if I arrive, only to find out LO 009 has been canceled?
  • what is the *G lounge like?
  • can I get a selfie with a cardboard cutout of John Paul II?
  • etc., etc...
Comments, suggestions, and/or snide remarks are always appreciated.
I suspect if you encounter IIROPS then LO will likely rebook you via WAW where the connections are better. If LO inform you the same day before you leave FRA then it might be possible for you to be rebooked onto the direct LH/UA flight as the rules are very different about being rebooked the same day, especially when it comes to the choice of available carriers

EDITP: It seems IIROPS is unlikely but just saw as well LO fly to BUD as well where there’s also an ORD connection.
N1003U likes this.

Last edited by iLied; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah that's different then, because LOT are regularly encouraging transit pax to LO9 to come from WAW on Mondays and its often a 737 for that reason. But it should still be fine, its just they are very much trying to help those pax make the connection to ORD when there is a delay.

As soon as you disembark from the bus, or the airbridge, follow connections which will definitely be open for the exact purpose of LO9. There is no need to go landside at all but if you do, upstairs and through fast track "Gold Track" is signposted.

You'll use the non-Schengen lounge, after passport control. It's basically the same as the Schengen. Okayish food, drinks, the usual.

There's plenty of JPII memorabilia in the gift shops! No cut out, that would be a bit unsightly.

As for food and drink, sign yourself up to the Krakow Loyalty programme and you'll get 10-20% off in a whole host of restaurants and shops. Food is typical, just like WAW.

Cancellation of LO9 is very unlikely! It will be announced long in advance, that would have to be tech issues. Before you leave FRA, the incoming from ORD will have been in the air a long time already as its supposed to sit on the ground in KRK for a good few hours. Its often late anyway.
AlicorporateUK and N1003U like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:24 am

There's plenty of JPII memorabilia in the gift shops! No cut out, that would be a bit unsightly.

It took the church almost 400 years to completely overturn Galileo's heresy conviction for stubbornly insisting that the earth orbits the sun. I wouldn't expect it to develop a sense of humor about instant media much faster.

But it is good to know there are some opportunities to purchase memorabilia.
AlicorporateUK and iLied like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:41 am

Ah that's different then, because LOT are regularly encouraging transit pax to LO9 to come from WAW on Mondays and its often a 737 for that reason. But it should still be fine, its just they are very much trying to help those pax make the connection to ORD when there is a delay.
That is interesting. The outbound date to ORD that I am exploring happens to be a Monday. What days of the week does LO9 operate?

A while back (I don't remember the date), I showed up early for LO4 (@ORD) before 18:00 and I was surprised to find check-in open. Then, in the middle of checking me in, it occurred to the "nice" counter agent that I was going to WAW and not KRK, and I got quite a lecture about showing up too early (apparently my check bag had to be set aside so that despite tags to the contrary that it didn't accidentally get loaded onto LO9). She finished checking me in (I suppose because she had already printed the bag tag), but not without a lot of complaining.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Paging @marcoos and indeed all our friends contributing from Poland: are there any news concerning LOT’s financial results for 2018 or even just rumours circulating within the various Polish forums?

Dziękuje!

G

iLied likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Paging @marcoos and indeed all our friends contributing from Poland: are there any news concerning LOT’s financial results for 2018 or even just rumours circulating within the various Polish forums?

Dziękuje!

G

I would also be interested to know about this. I’ve been hearing some worrying rumours about LOT’s strategic partner Nordica (and subsequently their joint venture Regional Jet).

Also has it been confirmed where Regional Jet fits into LOT’s new corporate structure?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
They should announce 2018 results later this month.

Things that probably affect the results negatively: Rolls-Royce engines in 787s, faulty Q400s, crew strikes, not reaching 9 million pax last year (737 Max are this year’s problem).

Nordica was never part of the plan, LOT just jumped on the opportunity after Adria quit. Whenever asked, the management says the Nordica deal works fine for LOT. Certainly, with faulty Q400s and grounded 737Max the Estonian CRJs have been very helpful. Nordica’s dimnishing route network is not a problem for LOT as a shareholder in RegionalJet, since RJ expanded the profitable deal with SAS.

The long term strategy is centered around the new airport to be built in Baranów, the short term one is to balance WAW with BUD and KRK. They also don’t shy away whenever a sponsor pays for routes that may not make sense on their own, e.g. the Israeli-sponsored TLV routes or VNO-LCY.

They were supposed to increase their share in charters, but problems with 787s and Maxes might slow that down.

That’s my view based on what I’ve read. For something more concrete, wait for the official report.
AlicorporateUK and N1003U like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Oh, I forgot. In November they paid $700,000 to a scammer who sent them an email about account number change for the payment installments for the Maxes. They managed to recover about $200k afterwards.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by marcoos

Nordica was never part of the plan, LOT just jumped on the opportunity after Adria quit. Whenever asked, the management says the Nordica deal works fine for LOT. Certainly, with faulty Q400s and grounded 737Max the Estonian CRJs have been very helpful. Nordica’s dimnishing route network is not a problem for LOT as a shareholder in RegionalJet, since RJ expanded the profitable deal with SAS.
I totally understand how it benefits LOT. I didn’t think Adria quit as much as Nordica management decided to switch to a carrier closer to them with a worldwide presence. I would have thought Nordica reducing routes would help LOT. I hear the LF on LO791/792 is at 100% most days and seems to be directing traffic onto LOT’s network out of WAW.

I was asking because I wonder if LOT would have the capital to help Nordica out if the situation arises. RJ yes seems to be profitable by exporting planes to other operators but I get the feeling RJ needs Nordica and LOT needs RJ at the moment. Like you said the Estonian CRJs are helping out during aircraft shortages in WAW.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:14 pm

The long term strategy is centered around the new airport to be built in Baranów, the short term one is to balance WAW with BUD and KRK. They also don’t shy away whenever a sponsor pays for routes that may not make sense on their own, e.g. the Israeli-sponsored TLV routes or VNO-LCY.
I get the impression LOT is trying to exert its dominance in the region. I suspect the base at BUD is to replace Malev. Why don’t they create a LOT Magyar subsidiary with an Hungarian AOC and develop BUD as a separate business there? I guess a lot like Nordica in Estonia except it’s a fully owned LO subsidiary That way they don’t have to balance BUD with WAW. I guess a bit like the current Ryanair model, which is to have local airlines performing the routes to/from that country.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I forgot. In November they paid $700,000 to a scammer who sent them an email about account number change for the payment installments for the Maxes. They managed to recover about $200k afterwards.
What! I guess we won't be saying that on TVP! That's hilarious. How very Basia that she has fumbled away with her keyboard.

More info here

That's a hell of a lot of O Class fares she has obliterated.

And Cyprus. Lovely Cyprus. I was just advising Comrade Zelensky on the advantages of CY, but he was already aware .
AlicorporateUK and yurtripper like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Very interesting indeed, thanks marcoos.

On an entirely different note, I've checked-in (SEQ1!) for an upcoming flight and, well, I was glad to find out that I've got a seat

G
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Very interesting indeed, thanks marcoos.

On an entirely different note, I've checked-in (SEQ1!) for an upcoming flight and, well, I was glad to find out that I've got a seat

G
Is the flight completely full?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.