Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Concerto
As I said elsewhere, customer service has just gone down, down, down. The overwhelming demand for low fares at the expense of everything else is the root cause and it looks likely to continue.
All while at the same time LH is making record profits.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
[...] I recently flew MAN-FRA-AMS and back (I know... ) [...]
This is flyertalk, so you'll only get comments that the routing was too direct
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
This is flyertalk, so you'll only get comments that the routing was too direct
Even if I added that I was attending a meeting in AMS and that my actual routing to the meeting was MAN-FRA-AMS-MUC-SFO-YVR-SFO-MUC-AMS?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Even if I added that I was attending a meeting in AMS and that my actual routing to the meeting was MAN-FRA-AMS-MUC-SFO-YVR-SFO-MUC-AMS?
if that meant you requalified for SEN, well done. if not I'll doubt the sanity of that
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
if that meant you requalified for SEN, well done.
Yes, I did. Somewhere over England on the way back to MUC.

if not I'll doubt the sanity of that
I also attended a DO in YVR but thanks for your concern all the same!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
If that's the first class trip you had, then all I can say is job's a good un
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Seems a legit routing to me. Given the insane cheap fares to CHI/SFO/LAX in K, combined with very generous routings, it did look cheaper for me to fly UK to TXL via ORD at one point. (£270-ish pounds via ORD, compared to £340-ish direct).
NewbieRunner likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Seems a legit routing to me. Given the insane cheap fares to CHI/SFO/LAX in K, combined with very generous routings, it did look cheaper for me to fly UK to TXL via ORD at one point. (£270-ish pounds via ORD, compared to £340-ish direct).
AMS-MUC-SFO in A was certainly cheaper than MAN-MUC-SFO in A.
BristolTraveller likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, Accor Plat
I have to say I am VERY surprised some members on here insist the new system works better for them (!). Get this: £4,500/€5,000 ticket LON-ZRH-SIN-SYD return - going in D and returning in C and here’s what my account shows so far: LON-ZRH (D): 2500 status miles / 492 award miles!!! ZRH-SIN (D): 14409 status / 6588 award; SIN-SYD (J; operated by SQ): 7824 status / 3355 award; SYD-SIN (C; operated by SQ): 7824 status / 4785 award. The rest of the flights are yet to post but I’m literally getting at most half the award miles I usually got before the changes and some don’t even make sense. LON-ZRH for instance. What the... As I fly this segment often I want to demonstrate a comparison on award miles I earned this year: 642 miles in P, another time it was 1170 in Q (Economy!), another time 270 in Q.. I get it’s based on amount paid not booking class but come on: how the hell do I get only 492 miles for a D class flight on a flexible €5000 ticket?? And I have no visibility as to how this was calculated/broken down and just have to ‘trust’ LH even if they get it wrong? Might as well just fly SQ all the way next time...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: LH HON**
Some of my recent experiences:
MUC-YUL Z = 9246 award, 5823 status
ZRH-YUL A = 14484 award, 11157 status
SIN-ZRH D = 11748 award, 12808 status
BRU-ZRH D = 12300 award, 2000 status

If only HON miles could always be whichever is the highest of the two...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: LO
Originally Posted by mywaterbroke
I have to say I am VERY surprised some members on here insist the new system works better for them (!). Get this: £4,500/€5,000 ticket LON-ZRH-SIN-SYD return - going in D and returning in C and here’s what my account shows so far: LON-ZRH (D): 2500 status miles / 492 award miles!!! ZRH-SIN (D): 14409 status / 6588 award; SIN-SYD (J; operated by SQ): 7824 status / 3355 award; SYD-SIN (C; operated by SQ): 7824 status / 4785 award. The rest of the flights are yet to post but I’m literally getting at most half the award miles I usually got before the changes and some don’t even make sense. LON-ZRH for instance. What the... As I fly this segment often I want to demonstrate a comparison on award miles I earned this year: 642 miles in P, another time it was 1170 in Q (Economy!), another time 270 in Q.. I get it’s based on amount paid not booking class but come on: how the hell do I get only 492 miles for a D class flight on a flexible €5000 ticket?? And I have no visibility as to how this was calculated/broken down and just have to ‘trust’ LH even if they get it wrong? Might as well just fly SQ all the way next time...
Originally Posted by Vixit
Some of my recent experiences:
MUC-YUL Z = 9246 award, 5823 status
ZRH-YUL A = 14484 award, 11157 status
SIN-ZRH D = 11748 award, 12808 status
BRU-ZRH D = 12300 award, 2000 status

If only HON miles could always be whichever is the highest of the two...
Looks like Lufthansa is a Robin Hood
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:17 am

Well, it's exactly what was told before: People booking promo/special fares in premium classes will get much less miles, people paying full fare will win.

Apparetently, LH knows well that people paying full fare for premium classes are very often not actually paying it themselves, but a company will cover those costs. And if get to keep those miles, some might push their company to buy their last-minute premium tickets at LH, since they'll profit from it more than when they're flying another carrier which is more equal (not that many are left)

I mean, discrimination by how many miles you got is around for many years now, the only difference was that it wasn't cash-related but booking class related, so it was possible to "game" the system a bit easier.

Now, it seems they really want to attract those NOT having to pay for the high fares themselves, while profiting from the award miles. While those having to pay their tickets themselves are losing out (and possibly eventually looking elsewhere)

LH clearly hopes that the extra revenue from those "forcing" their companies to pay expensive LH fares will make up (and more) for those looking elsewhere..
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by mario_s
Looks like Lufthansa is a Robin Hood
Perhaps... I should have added more details to my post as well, so here goes:

BRU-MUC-YUL-FRA-BRU (Z) (€ 3,600) = 20,292 award and 13,671 status

BRU-ZRH-YUL-ZRH-BRU (JAZZ) (€4,500) = 25,842 award and 19,986 status

BRU-ZRH-SIN-ZRH-BRU (D) (€ 4,200) = 37,408 award and 29,616 status. I suspect one leg received more award miles than it should have, but it is in my favour, so...

For what it’s worth, my tickets are paid out of my own pocket.

Last edited by Vixit; Nov 17, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I still think that to target high spenders, who will be mostly people who are not paying for their own tickets, to the total detriment of the incremental passengers if a big mistake in the long term. It will backfire somehow as it becomes an uninteresting and totally useless entity, like Bahnbonus (the loyalty of Deutsche Bahn, the German train company). We will see in time. M&M is just a rebate program now, not a loyalty award scheme. At least on Bahnbonus award tickets there are no taxes and bogus charges.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:04 am

Industry price pressure and 3rd party charges are indirectly and directly contributing to making most loyalty programs worse.

I can buy a ticket BRU-MUC-ARN-MUC-BRU in Eco K for € 125,99 for the four flights. The LH fare component of that is € 17,00 while taxes & surcharges are 108,99. I don’t expect to get a lot of miles from an airline when their revenue is 17 euros for 4 flights... Generally speaking, I nowadays get more award miles via credit cards than from actual flying.

Since we all have different travel patterns it’s always going to be comparing apples with pears, but is there any loyalty program that seems to be positioning itself significantly better & better for the mainstream traveler? If so, which one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.