Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX vs. LH in F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

LX vs. LH in F

I've been flying primarily Swiss in C out of MIA lately, but just started planning ahead for a special trip for next year and thought we might splurge on flying in F. We'd most likely be flying from MIA to BUD and then back from PRG to MIA, so the transit airports would be either ZRH or FRA. I normally try to avoid FRA but know that transiting when booked in F on LH is a bit of a special case.

It looks like the aircraft are A330 vs. A380, unless things change over the next year or so.

Any thoughts on the best choice, or perhaps mix and match going/returning? I have lots of time to watch flight prices in the meantime, but so far they're running pretty similar to each other.

Thanks.

P.S. Moderator: Tried to find an existing thread for this but was unsuccessful. Please move if appropriate. Thx.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
There is already a thread comparing LX777 with LH380 with general comments about the F experiences that apply also to other aircrafts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-lx-777-f.html

MIA- ZRH LX has seasonally (winter) the 777. Hard product is obviously better on the newer 777 than the 330. Same number of seats but just one lav on the 330. Seats more private with a sort of suite enclosure.
Finding an absolut winner between LX and LH in F is very hard and depends on personal taste. For me the experience on LH380 is the best, including the FCT treatment in FRA, but others prefer the LX treatment and particularly food on board.
I would suggest to flight LH from Europe and LX to Europe, trying to get time at the E lounge in ZRH and at the FCT in FRA, so you can experience both products.
They are both excellent!

Last edited by afmiami; Aug 22, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. And this would be for a late fall/winter trip.

I also suppose we could consider other options as well for the international flights and use other options for traveling within Europe.

BTW, the only time I've previously flown on LH in F, I was on the upper level in the 747 and I had the entire cabin to myself.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:06 pm

That is not an easy question. You most likely already read the posts out there with comparisons.
So here are my two cents:

Plane: The 380 is a clear winner. More quiet, better air pressure. The 330 is second, the 777 last.

Seats: Swiss777 is the winner here. Wider cabin, more privacy. LH380 is also very good (less foot traffic thru the cabin), Swiss A330 last (but still good)

Food: I found the food out of Europe being better than out of the US. LH is often a bit more creative, Swiss is predictable. Both are fine. Caviar on LH.

Lounges: The new F lounge in ZRH is excellent. Good food, perfect service, nice views. This is now my favored. But the FCT is something unique and special.

Connecting: ZRH is much easier and more pleasant. FRA can be a lot of walking. If you get a special transfer depends which lounge you use and where your plane arrives/departs. Sometimes it requires long walks.

No clear winner for me. If you have never been in the FCT I would try to visit in one direction and leave enough time for the connection (you need to walk over there).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, and yes, not a clear decision. I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in my review of the options but it doesn't appear that I have. I appreciate the feedback.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: LX SEN
I would take LH outbound and LX inbound.

LX has 2 daily flights to MIA in the winter. I would take the later flight (on the 777) to be at the FCL in Terminal E in ZRH in time for a (early!) drink and lunch. LH's flight out of FRA to MIA leaves too early for drinks and lunch at the FCT.

For the outbound flight on LH, you can plan some time in FRA to check out the FCT.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Nic33. Sounds like a good plan.

About 10 years or so ago I flew F to Cairo via Frankfurt and went to a lounge that was just on the other side of an immigration checkpoint, as I recall. It had great facilities (separate showers/tubs, nap rooms), terrific food, and was virtually empty. I don't recall, however, walking to a different terminal. Was this most likely the lounge in B?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: LX SEN
It was probably in terminal A, you may recongnize it here:

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/fly/airp...h#t-page=pane2
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like it's definitely worthwhile to plan the flights so we have time to check out the FCT.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eerickso
About 10 years or so ago I flew F to Cairo via Frankfurt and went to a lounge that was just on the other side of an immigration checkpoint, as I recall. It had great facilities (separate showers/tubs, nap rooms), terrific food, and was virtually empty. I don't recall, however, walking to a different terminal. Was this most likely the lounge in B?
The FCL B opened at the beginning of 2009, so if you were at FRA 10 years ago you probably visited the old FCL A above gate A26 which was close to the passport checkpoint.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Thinking back it looks like the trip I'm thinking of was in the summer of 2009. But yes, the lounge was just beyond the passport checkpoint. Until a few years ago that remained my only 'visit' to Germany. I remember having to explain for my clearance why I went to Germany and whether I talked with any foreign nationals. I was technically on German soil for a whole 3 hours.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
By the summer of 2009 the (then new) FCL in B should have been open. The FCL B is non-Schengen so you could have visited the lounge without entering Germany. If you had to enter Germany for a few hours you must have visited the old FCL A , which has now been turned into a Business Lounge after the new FCL A opened in 2012.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Got it. Thanks very much!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:39 am

Lufthansa or Swiss F

Hi all,

Im a newbe here so apologies if this has been discussed but I cant find any advice on this.

Im flying to Singapore later this year and have the option of flying LH or LX in first. I could do one way on each as it happens. All the reviews I read say that both are pretty identical in terms of being good. Im tempted to go with LH because its the a380. Also I have read that the service is more likely to be better.

Does anyone want to offer an opinion?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
I find LH to be perfectly polished, a little more serious, excellent product, where as I find LX to be a very similar level of service just more fun & personable - I laugh with the crew more on LX. I also prefer the LX F lounge in ZRH to LH FCT in FRA.

Both are excellent and some of my favourite products to fly. I'd do one each way, you wont be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.