Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baggage allowance on award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: LXFF
These are all IT issues. Same with upgrading J to F, Swiss will still show 2 pieces when you are allowed 3 pieces as with a paid F ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:10 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Same question, but this time Austrian's website shows 0 bags on a VIE-TLV economy award ticket using UA miles. Does anyone know if award tickets in coach map to the economy light fare with no baggage allowance? I'm a UA *G if that matters.
As far as I know all Economy award tickets on LX/LH/OS come with 1 baggage each (cabin and hold) All award tickets book in to X (or N, but that’s a special case we don’t need to go into). No matter the program you use to redeem miles.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have the same issue with an Austrian award flight (X class). Scheduled to fly AMS-VIE-ORD-BIL, shows second bag fee as 90 euro?
I assume I will get my normal 2 bags as a United Star Gold member correct?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just got this reply from Austrian, after asking about luggage allowance on my booking. X- class.

Hi Thomas, your free baggage allowance is 1PC (1piece max 23kg). As a Star Alliance Gold Card Member you can bring 1 additional piece with you. Kind regards, Sima
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:25 am

No problem getting the normal baggage allowance of two bags for a star gold member. As a plus, we also got opup'ed to Premium Economy, quite nice
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:41 am

LH - United

am I right that if I book a united economy award using LH miles and more with no status I will have to pay a baggage fee?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:54 am

(Removed)

Last edited by JMontpelier; Oct 13, 2018 at 5:11 pm Reason: Wrong sub--forum.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Austrian Baggage Allowance on award ticket (X)

Just booked an award ticket AMS-VIE-DEL. Wanted business but AMS-VIE was only available in economy so I booked a mixed cabin award (VIE-DEL is in business). Logged into my booking on Austrian website and booking is indicating I am permitted hand baggage only. Someone please assure me I'll get to check at least one 23kg bag! Also Star Alliance Gold (if that matters) and the AMS-VIE leg of the award is booked in (X) class.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:19 pm

Awards always have one bag, plus the second one as *G. You'll probably get away with the third one by virtue of the long haul J segment.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What does you ticket say? You should have the full allowance in a mixed cabin award. The award ticket document you got will clearly specify the allowance.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
What does you ticket say? You should have the full allowance in a mixed cabin award. The award ticket document you got will clearly specify the allowance.
This was booked via Avianca and the award ticket document says nothing about baggage allowance...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Awards always have one bag, plus the second one as *G. You'll probably get away with the third one by virtue of the long haul J segment.
+ 1 & I would expect the J allowance of 32 kilos.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by Gobus
I booked a United award ticket booked with Swiss as the operating carrier, in J. I have star alliance gold through TK. The United ticket lists baggage allowance as 2 free bags but also listed Swiss rules apply.

I put in the ticket number on Swiss's site and retrieved the reservation. Fare class is listed as I. It says "no free check-in baggage" in bold for first two Swiss legs (see picture, no baggage info listed for last leg on United). Is that accurate? No bags available for checking in while flying J, intercontinental? Flight is DEL-ZRH-ORD-CMI.

Is this a template message or will I really not be able to check in bags? (I think new "light" fares don't even allow the extra *G bag allowance).

I also have a companion on the same PNR, also award ticket - booked both together with United miles. Companion is not *G.
Found this older thread relevant while searching for my own answers on an upcoming trip...two years later and the same United/Swiss conflicting info exists.

Booked Swiss Business Class (I) award tickets JFK>GVA / ZRH>JFK via United MP and on the United end it shows two free checked bags, but that Swiss carrier rules apply. Logging into my Swiss account the award tickets (I) show no baggage allowance (shown below).

So I guess the general consensus is that the standard Swiss Business Class allowance continues to apply regardless? Recent experiences or clarifications why?

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:25 pm

Awards are always having baggage included indeed, so you'll be fine with 2*32kg
Tony300S likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Obviously that's incorrect, there are no HBO business fares, always at least 2x32.
Tony300S likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.