Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying extra seat on LH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Grog
I'm sure it worked just a few years ago (as I did it). With elite multiplier. I believe Concerto has, also.
Thanks. That does indeed look good.

Now I wonder if I could also use other FFPs ....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M
Originally Posted by weero
Thanks for the update.

With coach prices often in free fall, buying three seats for two travelers may be a better solution than paying for two PE seats....

Please let us know how the mileage thingie goes!!!
This was exactly the point, buying an extra seat for some additional comfort rather than taking our 2 year old and 4 month old in the J cabin - too stressful making sure we don't bother anyone.

I will pop back and update after the flight (in March), but since others have already confirmed it, we can safely say there won't be a problem crediting the miles.

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
There will be M&M miles for the Extraseat, but it has to be claimed manually after the flight...
Thanks for the advice about the manual claim, now I know to expect it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
There will be M&M miles for the Extraseat, but it has to be claimed manually after the flight...
Does somebody know by chance if this would also count as double segments?

125 miles times two would not worth it but if one would also get 2x segments ...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting thread. I'm actually wondering about this right now. For a short-haul one-way flight in Nov I would like to buy an extra seat for more comfort and to get another checked bag as the extra bag fee turns out to be slightly more than the classic one-way fare.

Can I just buy it online (would be a standalone separate booking) or do I need to call and get the extra seat added to my existing PNR (which is for 2 pax right now)? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:32 pm

Extra seat

I purchased two discounted tickets, LAX to Paris, for my self. When I called to make sure my seats and my partners seats were next to each other (total of 3 seats, 2 passengers), I was told I couldn’t buy 2 seats in my name, although I did, and there would be no refund. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with a situation like this? I still want 3 seats for the 2 of us.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Terrilynn
I purchased two discounted tickets, LAX to Paris, for my self. When I called to make sure my seats and my partners seats were next to each other (total of 3 seats, 2 passengers), I was told I couldn’t buy 2 seats in my name, although I did, and there would be no refund. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with a situation like this? I still want 3 seats for the 2 of us.
If you want to buy an extra seat on LH you need to call in, it has to be done manually
Try calling again.
if your booking was made within the last 24 hrs you can cancel for free & rebook.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demue
Interesting thread. I'm actually wondering about this right now. For a short-haul one-way flight in Nov I would like to buy an extra seat for more comfort and to get another checked bag as the extra bag fee turns out to be slightly more than the classic one-way fare.

Can I just buy it online (would be a standalone separate booking) or do I need to call and get the extra seat added to my existing PNR (which is for 2 pax right now)? Appreciate any pointers. Thanks
To purchase an extra seat you need to call in, it has to be done manually by an agent.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chris63

To purchase an extra seat you need to call in, it has to be done manually by an agent.
That's what I suspected. Thanks, will do so.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
But be aware that you will neither get Miles, nor additional legs for the additional seat.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what I suspected. Thanks, will do so.
Let us know how it goes ? Good luck
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:24 am

Let us know how it goes ? Good luck
Well, learned something. Small but important detail that I missed was that the entire booking has to be made in one go over the phone. I had booked two seats online a few days ago (Classic Fare) for the two of us and you can't add an extra seat to an existing booking. You basically call and book for 2 pax + 1 extra seat together - ups.

Given that I have a Classic fare and 24hrs have passed since booking, it is not worth to cancel and rebook as I will be out of about 90 Euro. My motivation for buying an extra seat at around ~60 Euro Classic fare (TXL-VIE is cheap, I guess due to Easyjet) was to be cheaper than buying an extra piece of luggage (this is were I miss my *G) for 80 Euro and in addition to saving 20 Euro I would have the additional piece of luggage and a free middle seat too. Oh well, at least I know how it works now. Thanks for the pointers.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, learned something. Small but important detail that I missed was that the entire booking has to be made in one go over the phone. I had booked two seats online a few days ago (Classic Fare) for the two of us and you can't add an extra seat to an existing booking. You basically call and book for 2 pax + 1 extra seat together - ups.

Given that I have a Classic fare and 24hrs have passed since booking, it is not worth to cancel and rebook as I will be out of about 90 Euro. My motivation for buying an extra seat at around ~60 Euro Classic fare (TXL-VIE is cheap, I guess due to Easyjet) was to be cheaper than buying an extra piece of luggage (this is were I miss my *G) for 80 Euro and in addition to saving 20 Euro I would have the additional piece of luggage and a free middle seat too. Oh well, at least I know how it works now. Thanks for the pointers.
Thanks for the valuable feedback
Would you have received an extra bag or just an unoccupied seat next to you ?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:36 pm

Thanks for the valuable feedback
Would you have received an extra bag or just an unoccupied seat next to you ?
According to the post from the LH lurker and the agent on the phone, the extra seat comes with the usual items attached to the fare so a piece of luggage was included she said. YMMV.

For plain extra bag, you also need to call and "reserve" it, but apparently you pay at check in / ticket counter at airport. That LH should really manage to sell online as part of the manage booking functionality. YMMV.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the post from the LH lurker and the agent on the phone, the extra seat comes with the usual items attached to the fare so a piece of luggage was included she said. YMMV.

For plain extra bag, you also need to call and "reserve" it, but apparently you pay at check in / ticket counter at airport. That LH should really manage to sell online as part of the manage booking functionality. YMMV.
Good to know ! Extra bag & seat space is worth quite a bit.

LH IT is so bad, I feel a small miracle has occurred anytime something functions online
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:29 pm

Thank you, Chris. Appreciate the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.