Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC261 Compensation by Condor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by athome
According to Flightradar24 landed DE2402 on 1-Jun at 20:53. This would mean that the flight arrived 2h53 late. Take off was at 19:30 (delay of departure irrelevant for claim).

Threshold for your flight >3000km is 4 hours.
The threshold for compensation is 3 hours, and the time of arrival that is used for the determination of compensation is the time when the main cabin door is opened. The Flightradar24 data is showing the landing time, but that is not relevant for compensation claims. As I mentioned above the plane was still in motion, taxiing to the gate at 21:01.

Ideally, what is needed here is the ACARS record which is transmitted when the door of the aircraft is opened.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by superchromix
With the new EU flight compensation rules, this data is becoming increasingly important. Websites such as Flightradar24 have historical records of flight tracks including takeoff and landing, but they don't actually track the flight all the way to the gate.

At a minimum, I do need to know the actual departure and arrival times for the flight, in order to fill in the EU compensation claim form.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...nt_form_en.pdf
I've never used this form, didn't even know it existed.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
The threshold for compensation is 3 hours, and the time of arrival that is used for the determination of compensation is the time when the main cabin door is opened. The Flightradar24 data is showing the landing time, but that is not relevant for compensation claims. As I mentioned above the plane was still in motion, taxiing to the gate at 21:01.

Ideally, what is needed here is the ACARS record which is transmitted when the door of the aircraft is opened.
You are mixing up the threshold for assistance, which is defined in Article 6 of EU261/04

EU261/04 Article 6

Compensation is regulated in Article 7

I am not lawyer. But I do not read any reference to Article 7 in Article 6 .As a result Article 6 does not define the compensation for a delay.
Therefore it should be Article 7 only. And there it is stated that in case of rerouting and an delay of more than 4 hours compensation (50% of the amount in chapter 1) is due. I do not read anything specific of a delay flight (without rerouting). But I would assume that in this case 100% of the value is due.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:09 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by athome
You are mixing up the threshold for assistance, which is defined in Article 6 of EU261/04

EU261/04 Article 6

Compensation is regulated in Article 7

I am not lawyer. But I do not read any reference to Article 7 in Article 6 .As a result Article 6 does not define the compensation for a delay.
Therefore it should be Article 7 only. And there it is stated that in case of rerouting and an delay of more than 4 hours compensation (50% of the amount in chapter 1) is due. I do not read anything specific of a delay flight (without rerouting). But I would assume that in this case 100% of the value is due.
I'll probably have to read through the whole thing but for delays longer than 3 hours compensations is certainly paid out.

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 19, 2018 at 5:16 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:17 am

compensation threshold

The reason that the threshold for compensation is 3 hours is in how the courts have interpreted the law. The courts have found that any delay in arrival of 3 hours or more is equivalent to the cancellation of the flight, in terms of compensation. This can be found in " Commission Notice — Interpretative Guidelines on Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament", linked here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Last edited by superchromix; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:23 am Reason: Failed to include image properly
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
The reason that the threshold for compensation is 3 hours is in how the courts have interpreted the law. The courts have found that any delay in arrival of 3 hours or more is equivalent to the cancellation of the flight, in terms of compensation. This can be found in " Commission Notice — Interpretative Guidelines on Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament", linked here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

Your interpretation of what you quoted is incorrect - this The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004 is your best friend to understand...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:40 am

The thread you linked to, states the following regarding a 3-hour delay for a long-haul flight:

" For longer trips - over 3,500 km (basically the distance from London to Beirut) - then you will get full compensation after a 4 hour delay, and a reduced 50% rate for delays between 3 and 4 hours. This is purely for delays, and it is calculated on arrival time, not all the hanging around at departure. "

So, yes it appears that 3 hours is the threshold for compensation.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You may get a 50% compensation for delays over 3 hours (but under 4 hours). However, any pay will depend on whether the delay was caused by exceptional circumstances. What reason were you given for the delay?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You may get a 50% compensation for delays over 3 hours (but under 4 hours). However, any pay will depend on whether the delay was caused by exceptional circumstances. What reason were you given for the delay?
The gate staff said there was a technical problem with the airplane. The weather was clear.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:05 am
Suspended

So just submit your claim. You need neither that form you linked, nor do you need to provide ACARS data. Simply submit via the usual online forms.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
So just submit your claim. You need neither that form you linked, nor do you need to provide ACARS data. Simply submit via the usual online forms.
When you refer to "the usual online forms", do you mean a form provided by Condor? If so, do you have a link? Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:16 am
Suspended

Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:11 am

Claim was submitted to Condor on June 24. If no response by August 24, I will need to submit a claim to my "national authority", in this case Germany, www.lba.de.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:12 am
Suspended

Claim was submitted to Condor on June 24. If no response by August 24, I will need to submit a claim to my "national authority", in this case Germany, www.lba.de.
They do not have any enforcement ability. Just chill out and wait for Condor to come back to you (probably denying your claim from what I have read here.)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:37 am

Condor finally got back to me. They have offered either a 375 euro flight voucher or a 300 euro cash settlement.

Is 300 euros the correct amount that I would normally be entitled to for a flight which is delayed by just over 4 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.