Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification on Miles and More renewal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Team Elite Plus, Lufthansa Senator, BA Sliver, Hilton Diamond VIP, IHG GOLD, Marriot Gold
Clarification on Miles and More renewal

Hi All

it has taken me several years to twig and I wanted to ensure I understand the program and what the call centre said to me.

I have been a Senator for nearly 8 years - each year diligently getting my 100K+ miles. However when you qualify they give you two years of Status. They explained to me that to renew that status you only have to achieve 100K+ miles in one of the two calander years your status is valid for. For example my status is valid to feb 2017 - in calendar year 2015 I flew 100K so I have - if I understood correctly - already renewed my status to Feb 2019.

Is that correct? So there is really no point in forcing it to get another 100K this year and I would be better off trying to get status elsewhere.

thanks for your input
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skirabbit
Hi All

it has taken me several years to twig and I wanted to ensure I understand the program and what the call centre said to me.

I have been a Senator for nearly 8 years - each year diligently getting my 100K+ miles. However when you qualify they give you two years of Status. They explained to me that to renew that status you only have to achieve 100K+ miles in one of the two calander years your status is valid for. For example my status is valid to feb 2017 - in calendar year 2015 I flew 100K so I have - if I understood correctly - already renewed my status to Feb 2019.

Is that correct? So there is really no point in forcing it to get another 100K this year and I would be better off trying to get status elsewhere.

thanks for your input
Yes, your understanding is correct. What you do with the miles you earn in 2016 is up to you. Some people credit the miles in another *A program, some people fly and credit miles with airlines outside *A, while others (like myself) continue to credit them in M&M so they can collect the miles needed for the next F award more quickly.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: M&M / HH / IHG / Starwood / BA
Upgrade e-vouchers

Hi,

I had the exact same question - thanks for the clarifications. I do have a follow-up question on this topic in relation to the upgrade vouchers.

My current Senator status is about to expire early 2017. In case I have extended that status twice before the expiration of the card, will I obtain 4 upgrade vouchers when receiving the new card or do they only allocate 2 vouchers?

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Masse
Hi,

I had the exact same question - thanks for the clarifications. I do have a follow-up question on this topic in relation to the upgrade vouchers.

My current Senator status is about to expire early 2017. In case I have extended that status twice before the expiration of the card, will I obtain 4 upgrade vouchers when receiving the new card or do they only allocate 2 vouchers?

Thanks
You can only extend your status once, in 2015 or 2016.
If you already did in 2015, then 2016 is the dead year. If you did not in 2015, then 2016 is the only possibility.
And as you can only extend status once in the 2 years of your status validity, you only get 2 vouchers.

Except there is a selection miles threshold you would reach that could give you some extra vouchers.

Last edited by PetzLUX; Feb 6, 2016 at 4:56 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I thought, from the point of view of FTL renewal, that one could renew status two years running and the status would be prolonged 2 further years. But if you reached status in the 3rd consecutive year it would not make any difference and the status would not be extended any further.

This year will be my 2nd running year of qualification and I expect to get my status extended to March 2020 by this logic.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Concerto
I thought, from the point of view of FTL renewal, that one could renew status two years running and the status would be prolonged 2 further years. But if you reached status in the 3rd consecutive year it would not make any difference and the status would not be extended any further.

This year will be my 2nd running year of qualification and I expect to get my status extended to March 2020 by this logic.
FTL status renewal works in exactly the same way as SEN status renewal. If your FTL status expires in February 2017 according to M&M and you have already requalified in 2015, reaching the threshold again in 2016 does not add extra year(s) of FTL. Your FTL status will be extended till February 2019.

On the other hand if you first became FTL in 2015 and the status is valid until February 2018, requalifying again in 2016 will extend the status until February 2020.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The second scenario applies to me, more or less. I've been FTL for ages with expiry in 2016, but after a couple dead years decided to requalify in 2015. Now my status is extended to 2018 and I am hoping that requalifying in 2016 will extend it until 2020. Whether I somehow make SEN at some point will be another story.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
The second scenario applies to me, more or less. I've been FTL for ages with expiry in 2016, but after a couple dead years decided to requalify in 2015. Now my status is extended to 2018 and I am hoping that requalifying in 2016 will extend it until 2020. Whether I somehow make SEN at some point will be another story.
If the current expiry date is February 2018, requalifying in 2016 (or 2017) should extend it to February 2020.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hi,

slightly different subject but not to open new thread I include my questions here.

Mrs m4l is loosing the FTL status at the end of the month and yesterday she received in the post the new blue card.

We made bookings a few months ago to travel in March and I used the old FTL number. Does she need to change it for the new M&M number or can she keep the old one and miles will post automatically?

When we finalized the March trips she will regain the FTL status, will she get the old FTL number or it will be a new one?

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
We made bookings a few months ago to travel in March and I used the old FTL number. Does she need to change it for the new M&M number or can she keep the old one and miles will post automatically?
It should be fine for Mrs m4l to keep the old FTL number in the reservation.

When we finalized the March trips she will regain the FTL status, will she get the old FTL number or it will be a new one?
She will get the old FTL number back.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It should be fine for Mrs m4l to keep the old FTL number in the reservation.

She will get the old FTL number back.
Thanks very much for the info NewbieRunner!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
If I were to finish my two years with a total of 90K miles, I'd lose my SEN status - but would my status mile total go down to zero ?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
It will go to zero every year...
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If I were to finish my two years with a total of 90K miles, I'd lose my SEN status - but would my status mile total go down to zero ?
Status miles go down to zero at the end of the calendar year every year whether you have renewed your status or not.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Status miles go down to zero at the end of the calendar year every year whether you have renewed your status or not.
That's what I thought. But someone recently outlined a crafty scheme to gain an extra year by allowing status to lapse, but topping up the account to requalify shortly after, so gaining the remainder of year 0 as a bonus.

I probably misunderstood: it won't be the first time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.