Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:01 pm

UA Codeshare Operated by LH - Seat Selection

I remember a while back there were a number of threads about no longer being able to select seats in advance on LH when flying on a UA codeshared number. Is this still in operation? I searched but couldn't find anything recent and this page (https://www.lufthansa.com/ge/en/seat-reservation) would appear to indicate it's possible.

There's a slightly odd but good deal I'm looking at booking, that only has the option for the UA codeshare for some reason but it's for the longest leg so I want to make sure I can select my seat.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if your fare is eligible for free seat assignments you can most certainly book a UA codeshare and w/o much pain and a quick phone call get your seat assigned on the LH metal flight.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:16 am

Seat Assignment on Lufthansa Code Share ( on United)

I am flying on a paid ticket to be booked with Lufthansa transatlantic with the return overwater being a code share operated by UA. As I book on their website, it says no seat map available yet their own site says codeshares do have seat assignments.

Does anybody know how to get the seat assignment on the codeshare(United). We are traveling as a family and I don't want a problem at check in.

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by cfischer
if your fare is eligible for free seat assignments you can most certainly book a UA codeshare and w/o much pain and a quick phone call get your seat assigned on the LH metal flight.
Which fare buckets are these specifically? I thought all Y fares were not eligible for advance seat assignments now ...

I am on a M fare (U-fare on United) and LH denied me a seat allocation with a 016 ticket and an LH flight number on LH metal...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Which fare buckets are these specifically? I thought all Y fares were not eligible for advance seat assignments now ...

I am on a M fare (U-fare on United) and LH denied me a seat allocation with a 016 ticket and an LH flight number on LH metal...
Seat assignment 016-ticket, LH flight# and metal worked well, even for K-fares. Use the LH booking reference provided by UA to choose seats at LH website. Depending on fare and status, fees apply.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Chimaira
Seat assignment 016-ticket, LH flight# and metal worked well, even for K-fares. Use the LH booking reference provided by UA to choose seats at LH website. Depending on fare and status, fees apply.
Ditto for me. I was able to get a free seat on DEN-FRA with an 016 ticket, LH flight# and metal. This was on an L fare. I was actually surprised that there were free seats and only the preferred seats and more legroom seats were listed as incurring a charge.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

I know this topic has been going on for YEARS but cannot seem to find the consensus on the latest!

We are about to book flights on LH via United using United miles. It is from NAP-FRA, FRA-TPA. (All LH flights). It is a Economy X code (have enough miles for Business but not available!)

We have miles on other airlines but deferred to this due to the fact the config was 2-4-2 and figured we could make it work in the 2 seats as we liked the timetable the best. We are going with our 8 & 10 yr olds so want to sit next to each other on the 2 side. However, if we cannot select in advance we may reconsider the other airlines (where we can actually fly Business, albeit 2 connections and a longer day).

Does anyone know currently if you book a X fare via United portal but on all LH flights if we can pre select seats for those flights or do we have to wait until 24 hours before?

ANY guidance appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ngl1020
I know this topic has been going on for YEARS but cannot seem to find the consensus on the latest!

We are about to book flights on LH via United using United miles. It is from NAP-FRA, FRA-TPA. (All LH flights). It is a Economy X code (have enough miles for Business but not available!)

We have miles on other airlines but deferred to this due to the fact the config was 2-4-2 and figured we could make it work in the 2 seats as we liked the timetable the best. We are going with our 8 & 10 yr olds so want to sit next to each other on the 2 side. However, if we cannot select in advance we may reconsider the other airlines (where we can actually fly Business, albeit 2 connections and a longer day).

Does anyone know currently if you book a X fare via United portal but on all LH flights if we can pre select seats for those flights or do we have to wait until 24 hours before?

ANY guidance appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
Tickets in X class and award bookings can select seats for free. See rules here. You are limited to the "standard seat" category.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:38 pm

Ability to pre select seats booking through United for Lufthansa?

Hello all,
I am planning to book a trip to Portugal next summer.
I'm planning to buy a flight in premium economy, R class as UA8837, LH431. When I attempt to view seats through the United website, it says "Seat assignments for this flight will be available during check-in."
Will I be able to select seats though Lufthansa's website, as confirmed premium economy passengers can select with a charge?
Or will I actually have to wait until check in, which may be a problem as I am traveling with a family and do not want to be separated.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: Miles&More
Call again. Within 3 days of the flights general reservations can't process payments and online or app checkin will get you seats. They can charge credit cards on code share flights for at least the last 1.5 years. UA Milage seats are free of charge for normal seats.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Preferred Y Seats for award bookings

Originally Posted by tods27
Tickets in X class and award bookings can select seats for free. See rules here. You are limited to the "standard seat" category.
Long time UA flyer, but no experience with LH. We're planning a TATL trip using UA miles for saver awards. The return trip will be MUC-BOS. Going to LH's website, they indicate that it's free to make a seat reservation for a standard Y seat...Is it possible by paying the applicable fee to make a seat reservation for a preferred or extra legroom seat?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
Long time UA flyer, but no experience with LH. We're planning a TATL trip using UA miles for saver awards. The return trip will be MUC-BOS. Going to LH's website, they indicate that it's free to make a seat reservation for a standard Y seat...Is it possible by paying the applicable fee to make a seat reservation for a preferred or extra legroom seat?
You should be able to pick the premium Y seats and pay for those. Of course, LH IT can be challenging, so I can't guarantee that it will work. The premium seats are the first few rows of Y and seats with additional legroom.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by tods27
You should be able to pick the premium Y seats and pay for those. Of course, LH IT can be challenging, so I can't guarantee that it will work. The premium seats are the first few rows of Y and seats with additional legroom.
Worked like a charm....best was to discover that there's a mini Y cabin in the back of the second deck of the A-380 with only about 30 seats, many of them pairs at the windows.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
On Lufthansa's site now... won't let me choose seats (until apparently 23 hours before when I can do so via check-in). Perusing thread it appears I should be able to for mileage award tickets, correct? Any other avenue to explore other than Lufthansa.com using the record locator for Lufthansa provided by United?

Says "Conditions of your ticket do not allow for seat reservations on LH.com. Please contact our service center at:
+971 4 389 8100 or select seats during check-in." Are they really making me call them abroad?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
On Lufthansa's site now... won't let me choose seats (until apparently 23 hours before when I can do so via check-in). Perusing thread it appears I should be able to for mileage award tickets, correct? Any other avenue to explore other than Lufthansa.com using the record locator for Lufthansa provided by United?

Says "Conditions of your ticket do not allow for seat reservations on LH.com.
Had a somewhat analogous experience last week. Bought a couple of business class code share roundtrips for my wife and I next Spring, and United's site let me immediately hold seats for three of the four segments. The one open segment was intra-European, and I wasn't exactly concerned about it, considering how mediocre service would be on a two-hour flight. Yesterday I logged into United to look again at the reservation, and low-and-behold I could hold seats for that segment. Yet the ability to change seats on the other three segments I had already grabbed, disappeared. When I log into Lufthansa using their records number, all four segments are showing the proper seat numbers (but are not changeable - offering the 23 hour in advance notification).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.