Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews/Feedback on LH Premium Economy flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Looping1234
I prefer the LH one than AF, but sleeping pills are still mandatory if you wanna sleep on LH, 10 return trips in PE to LAX or SFO and the result has always been the same... Recline is not good enough and this is for me the biggest difference between PE and C..
What do you usually take that one can get OTC in CH ? Never thought I would ask that Q !

Nico.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, LH Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyerboy87
Hi

Has anyone recently flown on LH in PE? I am booked on FRA-JNB in Dec., and being 6'4'' the extra 7" of legroom is really tempting. However, when comparing the LH PE to AF PE, it seems like a much inferior product. I'm not sure whether it is worth the extra money to upgrade.

Thoughts?
I'm 6'7" and after having my first in LH E+, I rebooked all future flights for E+. Yes, it's a bit more money, but incredibly worth it, when I can't fly in Biz
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Bassinet in LH Premium Economy

Couldn't find this info online anywhere, figured I'd share here: in PE on the A340-600, there's apparently one bassinet seat in the cabin (22D on the config with 8 First/44 Business/32 Premium Economy/213 Economy).

Reserving it was tricky -- spoke to a few LH phone agents to make it happen. All assured that the seat was available on my flight before I purchased the ticket, but after purchase, when I called back none could actually reserve it for me, and they seemed as perplexed as I did.

Just sharing in case it helps the next parents trying to have a comfortable flight in PE.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
By the way, flew in PE (gratis) last week. It was nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay extra for it over an exit row seat in regular economy. Definitely better than being shoehorned into a regular economy seat, however.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Special Meals

any experiences as to how special meals in Premium Economy compare to Y or C offerings?

thx.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by econprof
By the way, flew in PE (gratis) last week. It was nice, but I'm not sure I'd pay extra for it over an exit row seat in regular economy. Definitely better than being shoehorned into a regular economy seat, however.
Were you traveling eastbound (overnight) or westbound (day flight)? Were you in a bulkhead (with leg support) or a regular seat (footrest)?

Does the bit of extra recline help at all (for those of us who can sort of sleep sitting)? The footrest is for me primarily decorative, but I find leg support a comport aid after a few hours. I have only tried the LH Y+ product on a short-haul demo flight, but I have used the similar CX product intra-Asia, and I will pay a bit extra for the space. I find even for a 3.5 hour flight from HKG to TYO it makes a difference.

Widebody exit rows definitely also have some value. ^
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
On March I flew FRA HKG on LH in Y. After takeoff they announced an upgrade to Y+ for €249, which I took. So I can't comment on pre-boarding experience. was an A340-600 I believe.

The seat was significantly more comfortable than the Y seat I started out in. I chose a bulkhead aisle seat so I'd have a leg rest rather than a foot pedal rest. Recline was nice, own armrest was nice. Much nicer monitor for IFE. Food seemed about the same as any Y meal, just a bit nicer in terms of presentation. Since it was bulkhead I had tons of room. Glad I did it, particularly since I was sitting next to one of those people whose mass doesn't entirely fit in their seat's footprint. *yuck*

On balance I think that's the uppermost I'd be willing to pay for a long (10+ hours) segment. I've got two more LH long-haul flights in September and I've bid for upgrades on both. Having flown NZ's Space Seat and older (777-200) Y+ I would put the LH product ahead of the Space Seat but a bit behind the older product. But for me it's all about sleeping.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by kacheng
they are also assignable to SEN pre checkin.
Travelling to Buenos Aires in cheap economy a few months back i was able to reserve an E+ seat online: I was surprised, but as I had to cancel the trip i never got to find out if Senator magic was at work.

I'm now doing the same trip, but the system resolutely limits my seat choice to the economy cabin, although recognising my access to the starred seats at the front.

I spoke to an agent, who seemed as clueless as I about how all this Y -> E+ stuff works.

Is my K-fare to blame? Or is it that I booked through an OTA?

Apart from wanting to try E+, I'm not all that fussed: but I do like to understand how systems work.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
When E wasn't launched on a particular route but had seats installed, Y/B and SEN/HON could choose those seats without restrictions (even when paying a K fare). If the E is for sale, Y cabin pax cannot pick it. You need to bid for a plusgrade (see other thread). If the bid is succesful, your K ticket becomes a N, which should help on the mileage fron too
Old May 4, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
When E wasn't launched on a particular route but had seats installed, Y/B and SEN/HON could choose those seats without restrictions (even when paying a K fare). If the E is for sale, Y cabin pax cannot pick it. You need to bid for a plusgrade (see other thread). If the bid is succesful, your K ticket becomes a N, which should help on the mileage fron too
OK, so it was a short-lived treat....

thanks for the explanation ^
Old May 5, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Thanks for the info! I am working on booking a ORD to and from Germany trip with my 7 month old and couldn't find this information anywhere. Very helpful so now I at least know to zero in on this plane and seat when I book.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
my experience with PE on FRA-DXB r/t

PE is not yet sold to/from DXB but the flight is often operated by one of the A343 with PE.

I had purchased a dirt cheap K class r/t LH ticket via FRA to DXB some time ago. Seatmap showed that PE seats would be available but ASR was not working for these seats, neither online nor by phone (agent told that these seats were blocked, another said that ASR is no longer available for *A Gold ). Anyway, when OLCI became possible for LH630 FRA-DXB the PE seats were gone/did not appear in the seat map at all. When boarding it turned out that the a/c in fact had no PE seats installed - but I was able to pick an emergency exit seat when doing OLCI so the flight was still OK. IFE was updated/good.

For the return flight DXB-FRA the sequence of events are more interesting. A couple of days before my return flight, LH631 DXB-FRA I suddenly noticed that I had been assigned a PE seat in my reservation ^ Mind you I had not pursued this issue further since being told that ASR is no longer possible for *A Gold pax, so being pre-assigned a PE seat "out of the blue" was certainly a (positive) surprise. Later, during OLCI other PE seats were available to choose from and I actually changed to a bulkhead PE seat ^ Then I completed the check-in, printed the BP and was happy that I was in for a good sleep on this night flight to FRA.

Some hours later, I was checking the a/c flying in from FRA and discovering that it was D-AIGP (the last A343 to be refitted with new C and thus certainly without PE ) I did OLCI again; my seat was no longer a bulkhead PE seat but a normal Y seat in the rear Luckily, emergency exit seats were still avaiable so I changed and still got a nice seat, but not a PE seat as actually assigned in the reservation.

Indeed it was D-AIGP with F, old C seats and the old terrible IFE waiting at the gate a DXB. Bad luck and a bit disappointing when I was so close to trying the PE seat for the first time

Last edited by SK AAR; May 6, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old May 6, 2015, 10:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Flying the last 343 with the old F/C/Y in operation is probably an avgeek treat
Old May 7, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My flight to Rio was not well populated. All Y passengers, not just Senators, had empty seats next to them: some of us even had entire centre rows to stretch out over .

There were a handful of E+ passengers, I imagine feeling regret for shelling out for the extra space.

Cue cabin announcement that we could upgrade to E+ for only EUR349. Noone was killed in the rush to take up the offer: indeed, there were no takers at all. But there was a lot of giggling when the offer was repeated

It seems a little tacky, rather compromising the position of cabin crew, to ask them to flog upgrades - especially in such a hopeless scenario. I always thought they were there principally for our safety, our comfort a secondary function: now they must also act as salesmen and women.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
My flight to Rio was not well populated. All Y passengers, not just Senators, had empty seats next to them: some of us even had entire centre rows to stretch out over .

There were a handful of E+ passengers, I imagine feeling regret for shelling out for the extra space.

Cue cabin announcement that we could upgrade to E+ for only EUR349. Noone was killed in the rush to take up the offer: indeed, there were no takers at all. But there was a lot of giggling when the offer was repeated

It seems a little tacky, rather compromising the position of cabin crew, to ask them to flog upgrades - especially in such a hopeless scenario. I always thought they were there principally for our safety, our comfort a secondary function: now they must also act as salesmen and women.
Thanks for the report. It does all seem a bit sad and embarrassing to have people on-board hawking Y+ seats, though after a few trips on UA, I have gotten used to it. Maybe if the cabin crew nets a commission for any takers, I could see some of them willing to add the role of huckster to their job title for a few extra Euros.

Otherwise, yes, now in return for deteriorating pay and benefits, the flight attendants have yet another task they are expected to fulfill to try to make up for failures of product planners, marketeers and revenue managers. Maybe it is part of the productivity improvements cited in SCORE...
Perhaps LH can eliminate a good portion of their sales force, and just give their cabin crews a raise and let them do the job...

Having done a couple of flights now in Y+, I can say for me it is worth some extra money to me for the space, recline, power, and arm rest. 349€ FRA-GIG wouldn't be bad if the flight were otherwise full, but if the seat next to me were in any case free, the value would of course be markedly lower, especially once on-board. An empty row can sometimes be almost as good as a C seat. I hope the crew paid extra attention to the folks in Y+ to make them feel better about their higher spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.