Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
This isn't my reading of the Regulation. If the flight is earlier then you're eligible for compensation if its 1 or more hours earlier than originally scheduled. The arrival time is irrelevant because its a canx, not a delay. Canx gives automatic compensation if the criteria are fulfilled.

This isn't at all about delay. The response from LH is wrong, what a surprise...NOT.
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
The 50% clause is NOT valid anymore - it was overruled by courts!
Thank you for both insights. I have replied that I would like to have the full 600€ transferred to my bank account within the next 2 weeks. And now we wait :-)
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Helga must have feared the wrath of Brenda Hale and one of her scary brooches because she has had a change of mind. She has been assiduously researching these past few weeks...

Thank you for your continuous correspondence.

We understand your frustration with our previous correspondence in regards to the decisions that have been made. Please accept our sincerest apologies in this respect.

After extensive research, we have amended our decision and would like to fully compensate you with the amount of EUR 250 in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004. Please provide us with your account number and sort code, as well as the postal address linked to your nominated account. Kindly also indicate whether you have a EUR account or GBP account. Once we receive the requested information, we will proceed with payment without issuing any further correspondence. Please allow for several days for the payment to clear and reflect accordingly.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
The 50% clause is NOT valid anymore - it was overruled by courts!
Originally Posted by hugolover
This isn't my reading of the Regulation. If the flight is earlier then you're eligible for compensation if its 1 or more hours earlier than originally scheduled. The arrival time is irrelevant because its a canx, not a delay. Canx gives automatic compensation if the criteria are fulfilled.

This isn't at all about delay. The response from LH is wrong, what a surprise...NOT.
This is the response I got after demanding the full €600 compensation:
The EU compensation 261/2004, passengers are entitled to a compensation of 600€ in case of delay of a flight of more than 3500km with a delay of more than 4 hours against the original schedule.
Please be advised that because you had arrived in Brussels a day earlier than originally scheduled, the airline therefore may reduce the compensation by 50%. As previously mentioned, you had arrived more than 1 hour earlier than the scheduled time of arrival.
Therefore, since there was no delay in your flight but you had been rescheduled a day earlier, we had therefore processed only 50% of the compensation.
I apologize again for any inconvenience caused and hope that we can retain your confidence in us.

Guess I'll just have to settle for half of it...
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

My flight from FRA to POZ was cancelled back in August. The situation was as follows - when we entered the aircraft a storm came over Frankfurt. We waited in the plane until it passed (about an hour). Then we were ready for take off but the pilot informed us that our waiting time for our slot is 2h. After 2,5h the flight was cancelled (the pilot said "due to operational reasons" - they probably wanted to use the plane for another route) and we returned to the terminal. I was rebooked over MUC and arrived well over 9h after my planed arrival. I had to run to the MUC flight and it took off without any problems so the airport was normally operational.

Lufthansa says that the cancellation was due to weather conditions so I am not entitled to compensation. But it's only half true. If we had taken off simply later (even after waiting those 2h) I would not have said anything. Ultimately "they" cancelled the flight even though we were ready to fly

Do I have the right for compensation or should argue more with LH or is LH right?
Thanks for advice
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GreP
My flight from FRA to POZ was cancelled back in August. The situation was as follows - when we entered the aircraft a storm came over Frankfurt. We waited in the plane until it passed (about an hour). Then we were ready for take off but the pilot informed us that our waiting time for our slot is 2h. After 2,5h the flight was cancelled (the pilot said "due to operational reasons" - they probably wanted to use the plane for another route) and we returned to the terminal. I was rebooked over MUC and arrived well over 9h after my planed arrival. I had to run to the MUC flight and it took off without any problems so the airport was normally operational.

Lufthansa says that the cancellation was due to weather conditions so I am not entitled to compensation. But it's only half true. If we had taken off simply later (even after waiting those 2h) I would not have said anything. Ultimately "they" cancelled the flight even though we were ready to fly

Do I have the right for compensation or should argue more with LH or is LH right?
Thanks for advice
Operational reasons could be many things, including some crew timing out. I suspect you'll have to fight this one, with an uncertain outcome. Ultimately it is up to LH to present the true reasons for the delay, but I don' see this working out in your favour.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:34 pm

Flying Edelweiss into EU - delayed flight

Dear All,

Would you mind taking a look at my case and help me out?

Summary: Flight delayed 3+hrs due to "restrictions imposed by air traffic control", Edelweiss Airlines, route: non-EU -> Switzerland -> EU.

Details, planned route:

Start: TIA (Albania, non-EU)
Flight 1: Edelweiss, WK 413 / LX 8413 - this flight was delayed
Change: ZRH (Switzerland)
Flight 2: Swiss, LX 1348 - I missed that flight
Destination: WAW (Poland, EU)

Due to delay of flight 1, I missed my ZRH -> WAW flight, were redirected through Brussels, and effectively arrived with 3hrs+ delay.

My e-mail exchange with Edelweiss can be summarized as follows:
Me: Yo, your flight was delayed
Edelweiss:Restrictions imposed by air traffic control. In accordance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004, airlines are not required to make compensation payments if the delay is attributed to extraordinary circumstances
Me: According to Interpretative Guidelines on Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 carrier must give a proof of stuff. I want proof
Edelweiss: District court Bülach, 02.02.2016: No compensation payments are due for late flights to and from Switzerland.

I wanted to keep it simple, so I omitted some (I believe, insignificant) details, but I can provide more facts if necessary.

So, my question is: Is there anything I can do from here? Is it a lost cause, or is there a way to push Edelweiss?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Welcome to FT, Raczek!
Edelweiss Air is owned by Swiss, and Swiss is very stingy with EU261 compensation, playing with rules and making up excuses.
A word of warning on Swiss International [interpretation of EU261/04 & ECJ rulings]
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by raczek
Dear All,

Would you mind taking a look at my case and help me out?

Summary: Flight delayed 3+hrs due to "restrictions imposed by air traffic control", Edelweiss Airlines, route: non-EU -> Switzerland -> EU.

Details, planned route:

Start: TIA (Albania, non-EU)
Flight 1: Edelweiss, WK 413 / LX 8413 - this flight was delayed
Change: ZRH (Switzerland)
Flight 2: Swiss, LX 1348 - I missed that flight
Destination: WAW (Poland, EU)

Due to delay of flight 1, I missed my ZRH -> WAW flight, were redirected through Brussels, and effectively arrived with 3hrs+ delay.

My e-mail exchange with Edelweiss can be summarized as follows:
Me: Yo, your flight was delayed
Edelweiss:Restrictions imposed by air traffic control. In accordance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004, airlines are not required to make compensation payments if the delay is attributed to extraordinary circumstances
Me: According to Interpretative Guidelines on Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 carrier must give a proof of stuff. I want proof
Edelweiss: District court Bülach, 02.02.2016: No compensation payments are due for late flights to and from Switzerland.

I wanted to keep it simple, so I omitted some (I believe, insignificant) details, but I can provide more facts if necessary.

So, my question is: Is there anything I can do from here? Is it a lost cause, or is there a way to push Edelweiss?
Lost cause. You can try to take them to court to prove the exceptional circumstance, but they are probably right.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:24 pm

My daughter (22) traveled on LH 960 on Jan. 13, 2020, from Frankfurt to Glasgow. This flight was scheduled to arrive in Glasgow at 15:00. Her flight never landed in Glasgow because of what the crew described as 'heavy winds,' even though other scheduled aircrafts, at this time, were landing in Glasgow Airport. (Have airport arrival info screenshot from the day.)

The plane took a detour to land in Manchester(!). Upon arrival, the plane spent some time on the tarmac, LH decided that the flight would end in Manchester, after which decision all passenger off-boarded. Then LH took some time to figure out how to get everyone to Glasgow and decided to get buses. In 30-60 intervals, a single bus arrived to take only a portion of the passengers back up to Glasgow Airport. My daughter got onto the 2nd one and the bus journey alone added 5 extra hours to the trip. Net, net she arrived in Glasgow around 00:10, on January 14th (the following day), a9+ hour delay.

The way we read EC Regulation 261/2004 and subsequent court decisions for my delayed travel she would be eligible a compensation for €400.00. However, Lufthansa customer service is adamant that "unfavorable weather conditions caused the diversion of your flight as the adversity of the weather made it impossible to operate your flight as scheduled" and "occasionally factors outside our control, such as adverse weather, may cause delays for our passenger at the airport". Then LH continues that the case has been carefully reviewed and closed without any possibility for escalation.

Questions: Am I reading EC Regulation 261/2004 right? If so, can cases like this really stopped by LH Customer Service vs. say LH Legal?
Not asking for legal opinion, just others' experience in similar situation. Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:29 pm
Suspended

I doubt you have a case here. Lh doesn't want to land in Man just for the fun of it, and the fact that other aircraft landed on or about the same time in GLA is pretty much irrelevant. The captain decided that landing in GLA was unsafe and that is the end of it. Exceptional circumstances, meaning no no EC261. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I fear this is a lost cause.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I concur. No right to compensation for deviations due to adverse weather conditions. The fact that other flights safely landed at GLA is irrelevant.
Move on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.