Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Erbil, Iraq (EBL) Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Cool stuff thanks for the link!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Cool stuff thanks for the link!
+1
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:49 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
+1
+2
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by milepig
99% of travelerse are just hoping to get out of there alive, only a FTer would ask "um, is there a lounge?"
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:23 am

ERB

As an Aussie I can safely confirm that ERB I.e. Ernabella airport in South Australia does not have a lounge ...let alone a Diwan chain lounge. nor a prayer room for that matter. heck I winder some times whether the runway is even there!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:32 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I got access flying LH Y one time, I think coz I had a J connection in FRA.
It's a nice lounge and a rather clean and spacious airport... Enjoyed my times at the Consulate in EBL! I'll try to find a few of my pics tonight...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
I don't know why, but the concept of someone asking whether there is lounge access in Iraq amused me greatly
You might be surprised. I spent years in Iraq with part of that time in Erbil. It is by far my favorite location in that country. EBL is a new, and I mean so new it still smells like fresh paint, airport. It's a small-medium sized airport, but they designed it for growth and they seem to expect lots of it. They also have their own Kurdish customs and Immigration and visa requirements. The Kurds have oil and they like Americans and they really want Americans to do business there.

They even have an American Village to support oil workers and their families. http://www.americanvillage.info/Index.asp and a couple of pretty nice hotels!

Erbil is what Iraq COULD be if they could get their act together for five whole minutes and stop acting like Ali Babba and the thousand thieves versus his cousins. /shrug

I wish I could speak to the Diwan lounge, but I was usually flying in a Dash-8 or a Helo and so not taking an international flight out of there. Lounge access wasn't something I was worried about.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; Jul 30, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I had the same initial thought, and its just the irony of it all.

99% of travelerse are just hoping to get out of there alive, only a FTer would ask "um, is there a lounge?"

I had to look it up, but Erbil is only a hop and skip from Mosel, and the Iraqi PM has been quoted as saying:

the semi-autonomous Kurdish capital of Erbil is becoming an operations base for the Islamic State group that has seized areas of northern and western Iraq.
He's full of crap. Seriously. He's saying that to give himself justification to try and send what's left of the Iraqi army, or the religious militia, up there to try and seize the oil fields around Kirkuk. This is because the Kurds moved in and took Kirkuk over once the Iraqi army abandoned it's posts and ran away.

In fact Erbil and now Kirkuk are where all of the Iraqis from Mosul (and other places) who are running from ISIS are fleeing to. The Kurds HATE Al-Queda and ISIS (and their counterparts on the Shi'a side). ISIS knows better than to mess with the Kurds because they ARE organized, unified, and will fight to the death. Oh, and they have tanks. And they're being backed by us.

Truly if we are to back anyone in that region, the Kurds are by far the best bet. They are the most practical, do not care about sectarian issues, love America and have a ton of natural resources.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by gum
+2
+3^ Nice, interesting blog, pleasure to read!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
I know this is a serious bump, but this could be useful if anyone wants to know about the Lounge situation in Erbil.

I flew TK economy class from EBL to IST and I was granted lounge access because of my *G status (with A3). I received a lounge invitation card for the Newroz lounge. A tiny little lounge you'll find before you head to the gates. If you wonder if there is booze, I can tell you, plenty of beer and liquor.

If you are too curious to see pictures, I've posted a small review on my blog.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
This thread is awesome. Thanks OP.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finlandia is not bad at all, considering the outpost! Kudos to TK for arranging access.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am not entirely certain but I met a former colleague who now works for DNATA/Emirates and I think he said that they were running Erbil Airport
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Dnata does ground handling and cargo services in EBL, but doesn't run the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.