Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Erbil, Iraq (EBL) Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Erbil, Iraq (EBL) Lounge Access

I'm a UA *G, I'll be flying out of ERB on OS in Y to VIE, connecting to TSE.

Will this afford me lounge access in Erbil? If not, can I pay for access?

Is there free beer?

Last edited by Red Raider LV; Jul 8, 2014 at 5:30 am Reason: Autocorrect
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OS usually invites *G to visit even local contract lounges:
http://www.austrian.com/Info/Austria..._lang=en&cc=AT

Austrian Contract Lounge:

At some destination airports whitout an Austrian or Star Alliance partner lounge, Austrian provides a lounge of a contractpartner. Access to a contractlounge is only possible in combination with a valid boarding pass for a same-day departing flight operated by Austrian.
ERB is not listed though:

http://www.austrian.com/Info/Austria..._lang=en&cc=AT

LH also doesn't have a contract lounge there. ERB doesn't seem to have lounge itself:
http://erbilairport.com/GUDE02/F_GUDE02_01_06.aspx
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am moving this to LH M&M where you may obtain more replies.

Markie - Mod *A
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH also doesn't have a contract lounge there. ERB doesn't seem to have lounge itself:
http://erbilairport.com/GUDE02/F_GUDE02_01_06.aspx
Also looked for OPs question but havent found any access on OS and LH websites, however ERB does have a lounge (or something like it, called a lounge).
http://erbilairport.com/GUDE02/F_GUDE02_01_07.aspx
Diwan lounge
-> Category :
-> Time : 00:00~ 24:00
-> Tel : +964 750 444 55 88
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:08 am

I don't know why, but the concept of someone asking whether there is lounge access in Iraq amused me greatly
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

If you have to arrive at an airport hours in advance due to various reasons a lounge becomes a critical element in the journey
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
brave man, epic NEK routing!!!
btw, Erbil is EBL, according to gcmap.com you risk travelling to Central Australia with ERB
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I don't know why, but the concept of someone asking whether there is lounge access in Iraq amused me greatly
+1

If you have to arrive at an airport hours in advance due to various reasons a lounge becomes a critical element in the journey
It truly depends on the lounge, I guess. The average business lounge does not even have beds or reclining chairs for one to rest properly.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stargold
I had the same initial thought, and its just the irony of it all.

99% of travelerse are just hoping to get out of there alive, only a FTer would ask "um, is there a lounge?"

I had to look it up, but Erbil is only a hop and skip from Mosel, and the Iraqi PM has been quoted as saying:

the semi-autonomous Kurdish capital of Erbil is becoming an operations base for the Islamic State group that has seized areas of northern and western Iraq.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
The Diwan lounge is to be found in a few Middle Eastern airports (I think that was the one used by EK in KWI). The food/ drink can be airline specific, that is, it depends on what the airline is willing to pay. Alcohol in theory should be available.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JTXC
The Diwan lounge is to be found in a few Middle Eastern airports (I think that was the one used by EK in KWI). The food/ drink can be airline specific, that is, it depends on what the airline is willing to pay. Alcohol in theory should be available.
Although currently during Ramadan probably not available.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
You guys make me laugh. You know I actually came here for tourism!

Anyhow, I'm sitting at the "Business Lounge" in EBL and can report that *G flying in Y are not granted access. It looks to be only for J.

You can pay to enter, as I did. It is $40 (save your judgements. I really wanted a beer).

They have a few kinds of beer, sodas, juices, pizza, sandwiches, a good dessert selection, and some other snacks.

Nothing special, but after two weeks in Ramadan Iraq, it was worth it for the beer.

*** Diwan Lounge is currently not open, follow the signs to 'Business Lounge' ***
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Reg
Chuckled at the idea of this thread and the "um, is there a lounge?" quote

Glad to hear you're in there safely!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:09 am

Kurdistan during the Isis uprising in Ramadan. That must be one heck of a vacation. Eagerly awaiting that trip report. ^
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Kurdistan during the Isis uprising in Ramadan. That must be one heck of a vacation. Eagerly awaiting that trip report. ^
Sorry no official TR, but if you're dying to see something about Iraq during Ramadan, I've got three blog posts up at bigjoutofla.blogspot.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.