Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I determine Star Alliance Upgrade availability on LH Metal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cas_de
Except for UA's famous phantom award availability from which I suffer right now, too.

So the system did show it to you but you could not ticket it, right?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:18 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by weero
So the system did show it to you but you could not ticket it, right?
I tried to modify an existing award. When I try to do it only I get an error message regardless which segment I am trying to modify.

The .bomb shows availability, Expertflyer shows availability and I talked to half a dozen call center people and I got a dozen different, unsatisfactory answers. Best one being that LH needs to book it and UA will issue the ticket. Complete BS - but they suggested that seriously. Arrrgghhhh!!!!!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
I tried to modify an existing award. When I try to do it only I get an error message regardless which segment I am trying to modify.

The .bomb shows availability, Expertflyer shows availability and I talked to half a dozen call center people and I got a dozen different, unsatisfactory answers. Best one being that LH needs to book it and UA will issue the ticket. Complete BS - but they suggested that seriously. Arrrgghhhh!!!!!
Are you trying to change a UA ticket booked with M&M miles, or an LH ticket booked with MP miles? If the award already exists, there should be a ticket issued, and the issuing airline should be able to change it. If it is a UA ticket, UA should be able change the ticket as long as there is availability.

P.S. here is a clip from the *A website, just to remind you that your experience is all part of the joy of being a Star Alliance member :

"...Were always looking at new ways to improve your journey
As the world's first airline alliance, we work behind the scenes to constantly improve your travel experience.
Bringing you benefits to make your journey smoother and more relaxing. Extending our network to fly to new places where youll do business tomorrow. And creating ways to earn and redeem your miles..."
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:14 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by N1003U
Are you trying to change a UA ticket booked with M&M miles, or an LH ticket booked with MP miles? If the award already exists, there should be a ticket issued, and the issuing airline should be able to change it. If it is a UA ticket, UA should be able change the ticket as long as there is availability.

P.S. here is a clip from the *A website, just to remind you that your experience is all part of the joy of being a Star Alliance member :

"...Were always looking at new ways to improve your journey
As the world's first airline alliance, we work behind the scenes to constantly improve your travel experience.
Bringing you benefits to make your journey smoother and more relaxing. Extending our network to fly to new places where youll do business tomorrow. And creating ways to earn and redeem your miles..."
I know it's a joy... as indicated in another thread, I will try to ask some questions around *A and the future of *A next Monday in Frankfurt...

Anyway, I am trying to modify a UA reservation (award, 016 stock). There is availability according to both .bomb and Expertflyer, but the morons at UA don't see it - a.k.a. phantom availability. Why can't they get their messy IT systems straightened out???
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:13 pm

..Expertflyer shows availability..
Then it is not phantom availability.

You just run into the impossible "award change" issue chez UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Anyway, I am trying to modify a UA reservation (award, 016 stock). There is availability according to both .bomb and Expertflyer, but the morons at UA don't see it - a.k.a. phantom availability. Why can't they get their messy IT systems straightened out???
To keep UA MP maximizers on their toes.

Originally Posted by weero
You just run into the impossible "award change" issue chez UA.
As discussed in this thread ad nauseam.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
To keep UA MP maximizers on their toes. ...
I am pretty sure that there is exactly one MP maximiser left.

Unfortunately he's a pretty vile specimen and shall populate the history books among average modern warlords.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So I've reached the conclusion that the whole *A upgrade thing really is a sham as indicated up thread. I've now got examples of two long haul flights on LH where I space is open, and neither is eligible for a *A upgrade with miles from UA. Repeated calls to LH tell us we can only talk to United about this; Calls to the UA *A desk indicate that it's "just not available" and "nothing they can do but send the request and see it is denied".

Very disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.