Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status STARS [2013-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting. I wonder if they might have the famous New Year Concert with the Vienna Philharmonic in their box of tricks. That one is seriously difficult to get tickets for, but they tend to play the same old nonsense over and over again. Once, some clever dick (I think it was Maazel) put a French overture by Berlioz in the programme and it created a scandal (because it should always be Viennese music that is played).

But if they can get Opernball tickets they must have serious contacts somewhere!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Just received an email with status stars offer, this time sounds rather interesting. GP in Monaco in May, with a helicopter xfer from NCE, accommodation in the West End in Nice, VIP lounge for the race, some champagne and gourmet cuisine thrown in.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:27 am

Just out of curiosity, what's the cost of that?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Concerto
Interesting. I wonder if they might have the famous New Year Concert with the Vienna Philharmonic in their box of tricks. That one is seriously difficult to get tickets for, but they tend to play the same old nonsense over and over again. Once, some clever dick (I think it was Maazel) put a French overture by Berlioz in the programme and it created a scandal (because it should always be Viennese music that is played).

But if they can get Opernball tickets they must have serious contacts somewhere!
Being Austrian myself I can tell there is a magnitude of a difference between getting tix for the Opernball (fairly easy) vs. Vienna Philharmonic New Year Concert (almost impossible unless you spend 4-5x face value). The new years concert has an annual lottery for about 400-500 tix (I think) and I am sure the numbers of submissions are in the hundreds of thousands...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by klausa
Just out of curiosity, what's the cost of that?
250k miles, including 1 extra guest. At 125k per person not that bad IMHO.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Paddock club access usually is 2000€ per Person (but for 3 days). In Monaco it might even be more expensive (I don't have the actual numbers) - the hotel in NCE isn't THAT expensive (hotels in Monaco/within short distance in France charge an arm and a leg, NCE is having some increased prices for the F1 weekend, but it's not that crazy. I assume this is for 2 days access to F1, saturday/sunday (as Monaco has the free practice on Thursday, it wouldn't make much sense to include it), including Paddock club, and hotel/transportation (transfer by heli from NCE to MNC is _relatively_ common) - I would rate this whole package worth for 2500€ per person, or 5000€ in total. However, the wording is a bit unclear. If it's only accomodation in NCE Sat/Sun and transportation to/from MNC for the race on sunday only, it's value drops significantly. The BIG party in MNC is on Saturday night (Thursday and Friday aren't bad, either ) - if all you get is a hotel bed on saturday night and you've to organize yourself, only be let into the Paddock on sunday etc., then it's drops quite a bit, probably to half of that value.

As a sidenote: I've done some Monaco F1 trips in similar fashion for less than 100€, but you'll need to know some people for that
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:13 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Paddock club access usually is 2000€ per Person (but for 3 days). In Monaco it might even be more expensive
No. Paddock club access is worth around 5000€ per person at most races while well over 5000€ in monaco which is only two days instead of three.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by mxr
No. Paddock club access is worth around 5000€ per person at most races while well over 5000€ in monaco which is only two days instead of three.
You're right. Prices really went up in the last years (plus, devaluation of € vs. $ doesn't help..) since I used to be in the business. *
Most races seems to be for 4200-4700$ (so, not exactly "around 5000€" - but close enough) for the 2-day package, Monaco obviously being more expensive (well, at least that didn't change )

2011, 2000€ were almost 3000$, so it's "just" an increase of roughly 35-40% in 5 years actually. I'll try to find data from back then (not sure if I still have them) - I could have sworn you could have got them for roughly 2000€ (or 3000$)**. But yeah, F1 really took a wrong turn couple years ago, and apparently Paddock access isn't excluded from that So, thanks for putting me back into the sad reality.

* some FTers can back my claim up if needed

** Shanghai 2009: 3750$ for Sat/Sun. Not THAT much less on pure $-comparison, but if you calculate in € 1.4 to the USD vs. 1.1 at current forex, you see the difference. Not 2000€ but not that much above it.

Taking those current costs into account, the offer from M&M indeed looks sound and solid being a "good value for miles", whatever it will mean for you. First time, if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Jan 14, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:49 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You're right. Prices really went up in the last years (plus, devaluation of € vs. $ doesn't help..) since I used to be in the business. *

** Shanghai 2009: 3750$ for Sat/Sun. Not THAT much less on pure $-comparison, but if you calculate in € 1.4 to the USD vs. 1.1 at current forex, you see the difference. Not 2000€ but not that much above it
Well I'd say people who travel enough in J/F on company spend and like the whole F1 circus will definitely save a substantial amount of money on this offer. If however you value you're miles (like me) only to redeem for flying F then it's another issue. In terms of spending $$ to miles if you'd compare to redeeming for two F flights it more or less turns out to be the same value.

To OT...was in Shanghai myself in 2009. you can't buy those tickets though... may I ask what part you were of within the "zirkus"?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:23 am

in your dreams...

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
"Sichern Sie sich unser Exklusivangebot für 250.000 Prämienmeilen pro Person."
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by sunseeker
"Sichern Sie sich unser Exklusivangebot für 250.000 Prämienmeilen pro Person."
you're right, I should be more careful when reading offers. somehow missed the per person part
This exclusive experience can be yours for 250,000 award miles per person, you may bring one guest with you.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The link to the offer: http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...=en&WT.tsrc=nl
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I took customers to Hockenheim about ten years ago and even then the tickets to Paddock club were at USD 3000 per person.
I'm sure price have gone up even more.
Total waste of money if you ask me, as most of the time you sit in the paddock club watching the TV screens in front of you.
Helicopter rides were however appreciated by customers.

The M&M offer is probably quite good value at today's pricing. I'll pass though.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:58 pm

3000USD was, for a while, not more than 2000€

Currently it seems most races are asking for about 4400$-4700$, with the more "prestigious" ones asking for a premium. Obviously it's quite a terrible way to spend money, but if you're lucky enough not to care about money anymore, it's not a CRAZY expense that you couldn't "justify" I guess.. I know about some "regular" people (as in, earning less than 10k/month) who gave themselves the pleasure of such luxury like once a year. I would probably make two weeks of (reasonable) luxury holidays out of it, but each to it's own..

Since it's 250k miles per person, the offer certainly isn't as good as it originally looked like, even if Monaco is THE most expensive race to attend. I would rate it better than some other events that were just purely a joke, but it's not great either. But if you're lucky enough and having enough travel anyway, and just want to attend the fake world of F1, certainly worse ways to spend your miles exist.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Set sail for Kiel Week: Experience sailing’s highlight of the year

Dear NewbieRunner,

When hundreds of small yachts and tall ships transform the Firth of Kiel into a sea of white sails on the last Saturday in June, you know it is that time again: with the Tall Ships Parade the legendary Kiel Week Regatta reaches its climax.

With your Status Stars, you too can set course for this exceptional sailing event: with our VIP‑Tickets, on 25 June 2016 you can enjoy a taste of the lifestyle of the maritime yachtsman against the beautiful backdrop of Kiel harbour. As well as the traditional Tall Ships Parade, you can look forward to a guided tour of the Olympic Sailing Centre with its many impressive sailing yachts.

You will also travel by speed boat to the regatta area where you can share the excitement with the yachtsmen at close quarters. So that you can also experience the feeling of freedom on the high seas, we invite you on an exclusive sailing trip where you will be welcomed on board personally by the captain. And when, in the evening, the sails are taken in, you can relax in the Hotel Maritim Bellevue.

Secure our exclusive offer for 120,000 award miles per person. As places are limited, we recommend that you book immediately.

We hope you enjoy an exciting Regatta and that your Status Stars continue to bring you pleasure.

Yours sincerely,

Alexander Schlaubitz
Vice President Marketing
Lufthansa German Airlines
Offer details

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 3, 2016 at 1:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.