Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Overweight Passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa Overweight Passenger?

Hello there everyone. I plan on travelling from Canada to Germany over the summer. To reach the city I'm travelling to, it's been suggested that I take an Air Canada flight, and a Lufthansa flight. I've travelled on Air Canada before when I was slightly heavier, and it was fine, but I have no idea what travelling with Lufthansa will be like, and I'm concerned. I'm about 290, and I just wonder if I should look into alternate transportation.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FlyerTalk, GermanBound2. Moving your Thread to the LH Forum < (miles and More )
Obscure 2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:52 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I believe the issue won't be your weight (I haven't seen LH weighing any passengers) -- it's your width. Do you fit into one economy seat or do you occupy two economy seats? Will you fit into the business class seat or not?

HTB.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In economy you can purchase an extra free seat using EXST if the armrest cannot be folded down on either side of the seat. No fuel surcharge or taxes collected.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
According to seatguru the standard width of the LH economy seat is 17.5 inches (about 44-45cm).
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by htb
I believe the issue won't be your weight (I haven't seen LH weighing any passengers) -- it's your width. Do you fit into one economy seat or do you occupy two economy seats? ..
If the armrest is movable, you can always impose on the seat neighbor. This is what an FA suggested once in all seriousness.

Seems LH doesn't have POS rules for coach....
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weero
Seems LH doesn't have POS rules for coach....
The LBA does have rules, and LH has POS and ADA rules to be compliant to US law.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The LBA does have rules, and LH has POS and ADA rules to be compliant to US law.
Is asking a passenger to lift the armrest to fit a POS within those ?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:07 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Hey GermanBound2,
if you're concerned about not fitting into a single seat in Y, I would also suggest that you buy 2 seats or travel in business class. You spare yourself the stress of an argument on board and possibly being denied boarding, and you cannot count on a neighbor that will let you have part of his seat. Also, this is probably not a question of which airline you will be on - there may be problems on any airline depending on crew and passengers.
Have a safe trip!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No fuel surcharge or taxes collected.
Hi Oliver, is this still true?

AFAIK, LX charges YQ for EXST...

Thank you for your reply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.