Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa: Changes to the Miles&More program effective January 1st, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa: Changes to the Miles&More program effective January 1st, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I just bought a Q-class ticket, which showed "100% miles" on the page when selecting the flight as Economy Basic Plus.

However, now that I research Q-class on the miles and more page, it shows me that only 0.5x miles are accrued.

I consider that false advertising / false factual information.

It is unreal how LH just seems to ignore these issues and continues with their downgrading without troubleshooting their IT.
That thing happened in the past also to Z fare when they dropped it's earning from 200% to 150%. However, they compensated passengers for that IT fault.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I wanted to diversify things a bit, being so entrenched with OW and all, but looks like LH FFP is not for me with those changes in mind. Unfortunate, but the search for a good *A FFP with a large presence in Europe goes on.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techie
I wanted to diversify things a bit, being so entrenched with OW and all, but looks like LH FFP is not for me with those changes in mind. Unfortunate, but the search for a good *A FFP with a large presence in Europe goes on.
TK ?

Seriously though if you find one please let me know as the *A program offerings in Europe leave a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
TK ?

Seriously though if you find one please let me know as the *A program offerings in Europe leave a lot to be desired.
To repeat once again the words of the LH Passage leadership:
"...The peak of Status [FFPs] is behind us..." -C. Spohr, 04NOV13

(I don't have it in my notes, but I think Spohr or Huber said a similar thing about marketing alliances in general as well on the same evening)...

I any case, based on the trends I see in the programs to which I belong, I don't expect to see anytime soon major incentives in the form of more generous FFPs.

I do expect to see ever more transactional behavior, which will be very interesting on competitive routes. I have the feeling that going forward the FFP benefits will become a small to insignificant driver in my purchase decision. There seems (to me at least) to be an almost universal belief among carriers that they can not significantly differentiate themselves via FFPs, and while there are some differences among programs (particularly between geographic regions), I personally see a trend toward a least common denominator in terms of FFP benefits.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by N1003U
To repeat once again the words of the LH Passage leadership:
"...The peak of Status [FFPs] is behind us..." -C. Spohr, 04NOV13

(I don't have it in my notes, but I think Spohr or Huber said a similar thing about marketing alliances in general as well on the same evening)...

I any case, based on the trends I see in the programs to which I belong, I don't expect to see anytime soon major incentives in the form of more generous FFPs.

I do expect to see ever more transactional behavior, which will be very interesting on competitive routes. I have the feeling that going forward the FFP benefits will become a small to insignificant driver in my purchase decision. There seems (to me at least) to be an almost universal belief among carriers that they can not significantly differentiate themselves via FFPs, and while there are some differences among programs (particularly between geographic regions), I personally see a trend toward a least common denominator in terms of FFP benefits.
Good for them.

I just bypassed Germany on 2 tickets from India to the US during December so far...

I gather they (LH) don't want our transactional spend then!

Now ramping up for DOH/LHR and other transits...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jan 6, 2014 at 4:34 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by N1003U
I already pick the best product/price/schedule combination that suits me rather than be loyal to a specific airline- now need to deaddict me completely from FFP virus. I avoid EK/EY (despite being comped to EK Plat by my TA) because they don't belong to OW or *A. Could save a lot of money if I become alliance neutral in addition to airline neutral.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LonLH
I already pick the best product/price/schedule combination that suits me rather than be loyal to a specific airline- now need to deaddict me completely from FFP virus...
Another detox for myself which I found remarkably easy is giving up on Biz seating.

Ever since UA introduced fully flat seats, I noticed that I dislike those as well. They hurt my back quite badly and I use them like LH's oild crappy stools: as recliners in a pod.

Flying F or SQ is out of the monetary question and OS has no network. And hence I discovered that Premium Coach is just perfect for my needs. It has space and power, and I am fine after a flight. Sure a pod would be nice and so would proper food - but I can go have fast food @:-) 100 times for the money I save per direction.

Technically, the current coach seats would often also be good enough but they bring you in direct physical contact with current coach passengers. And is a highly undesirable biomass more often than not. Premium Y solves that issue and hence I found my new way of travel.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by weero
Premium Y solves that issue and hence I found my new way of travel.
Problem is, is that LH still has not implemented this option - nor is it expected anytime soon.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by weero
Sure a pod would be nice and so would proper food - but I can go have fast food @:-) 100 times for the money I save per direction.
After 100 fast food meals per flight you'll need to revert to business class
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by LonLH
I already pick the best product/price/schedule combination that suits me rather than be loyal to a specific airline- now need to deaddict me completely from FFP virus. I avoid EK/EY (despite being comped to EK Plat by my TA) because they don't belong to OW or *A. Could save a lot of money if I become alliance neutral in addition to airline neutral.
For EK there is a solution to have *A miles.
EK is a partner airline of TP FFP (only award miles).
EK C earns 200% and F 300%.

2 caveats:
- YQ does apply on redemptions.
- Miles have a 3 year validity
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It seems that the alliances as such are developing much less clear boundaries, witness what Etihad is doing in Europe. Not to mention Qantas with Emirates as well as Delta with Virgin Atlantic. And airberlin with Air France. If M&M say that the high point of the FFP and elite traveller has passed, maybe they just don't know how to deal with this shift in emphasis and strategy. They haven't quite worked out how to react to this change yet...maybe.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Concerto
It seems that the alliances as such are developing much less clear boundaries, witness what Etihad is doing in Europe. Not to mention Qantas with Emirates as well as Delta with Virgin Atlantic. And airberlin with Air France. If M&M say that the high point of the FFP and elite traveller has passed, maybe they just don't know how to deal with this shift in emphasis and strategy. They haven't quite worked out how to react to this change yet...maybe.
Very interesting observations and speculations.

It would not be the first time that LH marketing has reacted slowly and with not much finesse.

On the other hand, even with the evolution of the alliances as observed, I see today, in general, less incentive to shift my marginal business to a given airline and/or alliance. The benefits of most FFPs have to me become so diluted and almost interchangeable that they no longer offer enough incentive to alter my behavior (at least in the market segment I currently occupy).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Problem is, is that LH still has not implemented this option - nor is it expected anytime soon.
Hence when the printed GPUs go away, I am pretty much done with flying LH. As LX will be on the bye bye list once the 10 abreast 777s are coming.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
After 100 fast food meals per flight you'll need to revert to business class
... hence slimming down again and the eternal cycle of saving starts anew.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, MR Platinum, BW Gold, HH Silver
Got an op-up today from L->C on DUS-EWR flight. While picking up new BP I asked the agent to change my FFP from SEN to UAP (used SEN only for the incredibly small chance of op-up.... and it worked).
I did not forget to express my appreciation: "Thank you so much for a complimentary upgrade, especially for being just an United Silver". Of course, I made sure that two folks, one with red and second with silver LH tags heard this sentence. Saw them approaching the agent and returning unhappy.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by tomekp
Got an op-up today from L->C on DUS-EWR flight. While picking up new BP I asked the agent to change my FFP from SEN to UAP (used SEN only for the incredibly small chance of op-up.... and it worked).
I did not forget to express my appreciation: "Thank you so much for a complimentary upgrade, especially for being just an United Silver". Of course, I made sure that two folks, one with red and second with silver LH tags heard this sentence. Saw them approaching the agent and returning unhappy.
......and the point is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.