Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa: Changes to the Miles&More program effective January 1st, 2014

Old Sep 18, 13, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond

Effective January 1st, 2014, Miles&More will introduce several changes to the programme.

The changes concern:
- More benefits for frequent-flying status customers
- New rules for earning miles in Economy Class
- Adjustment to the upgrade awards on European flights

Within the next 24 hours, Miles&More will communicate the exact details through their communication channels. We have the permission to let you know in advance that the changes will be coming, but for all the details, you will first need to refer to / wait for the official Lufthansa communication.

While some changes will have a tendency not to be welcomed, it should be noted that some of the changes are positive changes to the programme as well.

Most likely this upcoming Friday, Oliver2002 and I will be able to provide you with an interview with the managers of the Miles&More program to shed some more light on the changes to the Miles&More program.
Old Sep 18, 13, 4:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
So there will be 'enhancements' and enhancements.
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
So there will be 'enhancements' and enhancements.
Sadly, that often is the case
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by rcs85551 View Post
While some changes will have a tendency not to be welcomed, it should be noted that some of the changes are positive changes to the programme as well.
Could you kindly stop defending LH every step of the way? Do you think it's possible that you present changes in a neutral way and let people here make up their own minds?

Other than oliver2002, you have a business interest and should be twice as careful how and what you post.

Old Sep 18, 13, 6:55 pm

Good thing I didn't buy Melia miles.
Old Sep 18, 13, 8:58 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
The thing I'd hate most would be a change to yearly requalification -- I'm going to renew SEN next week until 2/2017 with the current rules...

HTB.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:01 pm

For those who can't wait, here are the changes for today. They are more announcements with details coming later this year:

More recognition for FTL, SEN, HON

Similar to the current program for Base members, you can collect additional amenities and services based on the number of flights you take within a calendar year. Details to be announced in January.

No Lifetime benefits but Service Stars

Status members (FTL, SEN, HON) who are holding the status for a long time, will get 'Service Stars' printed on their service card. Wild guess: The print one star for every ten years... Details to be announced in November.

Less miles in Economy Class

International flights:

E K L T will earn x0.25 of distance miles (used to be x0.5) and minimum of 250 instead of 500.

Q S V W will earn x0.5 of distance miles (used to be x1.0) and minimum of 250 instead of 500.

European flights:

T will give 125 miles instead of 750, S and W will earn 500 instead of 750.

German fligths:

E T will only give 125 miles instead of 500, Q S V W will only earn 250 instead of 500.

No more upgrades from T in Europe

Upgrades from booking class T are no longer possible in Europe effective Jan 1, 2014.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:38 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Phew... saved...

This probably means that I'll credit most flights to UA next year. My intention was to only credit medium and long-haul flights to UA because I expected to get a lot more miles on M&M due to the 750+188 miles for intra-European flights -- with 500+125 miles the calculation looks different.

I don't see how I'll be able to requalify for SEN with only 0.5x the miles for Q S V W after 2017, and I expect that the earnings for the other airlines will be aligned. So that will be it for me. Let's see where I can get *G after 2017 with less effort.

HTB.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by htb View Post
I don't see how I'll be able to requalify for SEN with only 0.5x the miles for Q S V W after 2017, and I expect that the earnings for the other airlines will be aligned. So that will be it for me. Let's see where I can get *G after 2017 with less effort.

HTB.
As Lufthansa is leaving status qualification for 2 years, the entry 'barrier' is very high for people flying Y in less expensive booking classes. This aligns to other carriers like BA or SQ where status is awarded mostly or exclusively to people flying C and F.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Already have enough future flights booked for BA Gold. Just a matter now of using my M+M miles up on a couple of F redemptions and I'm done after Feb.2015. I'm sure M+M will actually be happy to see the back end of customers like me anyway.
Old Sep 18, 13, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SMK77 View Post
International flights:

E K L T will earn x0.25 of distance miles (used to be x0.5) and minimum of 250 instead of 500.

Q S V W will earn x0.5 of distance miles (used to be x1.0) and minimum of 250 instead of 500.
Thanks for publication !!

While I think all the other adjustments are not worth that much attention, the reduction of Q Class (even V) to 50% earning is completely out of touch considering the price range of these booking classes.
Old Sep 18, 13, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Phew... saved...

This probably means that I'll credit most flights to UA next year. My intention was to only credit medium and long-haul flights to UA because I expected to get a lot more miles on M&M due to the 750+188 miles for intra-European flights -- with 500+125 miles the calculation looks different.

HTB.
Another reason to switch to oneworld
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
As Lufthansa is leaving status qualification for 2 years, the entry 'barrier' is very high for people flying Y in less expensive booking classes. This aligns to other carriers like BA or SQ where status is awarded mostly or exclusively to people flying C and F.
Sorry, but the comparism with BA is utterly Wrong. 146 el cheapo AB Segments and 4 el cheapo BA Segments give you Gold. The same trick can mostly be done with one 2100 euro sales ticket.
Old Sep 19, 13, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Sorry, but the comparism with BA is utterly Wrong. 146 el cheapo AB Segments and 4 el cheapo BA Segments give you Gold. The same trick can mostly be done with one 2100 euro sales ticket.
BA has a number of loopholes that allow you to become Gold for less than 1.500 EUR even if you are not up for flying 150 segments. The general design of the program is to reward fligthts in C and F and not cheapo Y though.
Old Sep 19, 13, 12:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Could you kindly stop defending LH every step of the way? Do you think it's possible that you present changes in a neutral way and let people here make up their own minds?
Well, in this case I don't think it is totally biased - other than it may have been presented a bit more in a different manner.

For those who can't wait, here are the changes for today. They are more announcements with details coming later this year:

More recognition for FTL, SEN, HON

Similar to the current program for Base members, you can collect additional amenities and services based on the number of flights you take within a calendar year. Details to be announced in January.

No Lifetime benefits but Service Stars

Status members (FTL, SEN, HON) who are holding the status for a long time, will get 'Service Stars' printed on their service card. Wild guess: The print one star for every ten years... Details to be announced in November.

Less miles in Economy Class

International flights:

European flights:

T will give 125 miles instead of 750, S and W will earn 500 instead of 750.
Keeping us guessing with "amenities"? What - like a 1 hour FlyNet SEN "gift"?

Service Stars? So they know which LH elites they can push down further by denying them upgrades while we try to stay loyal, while the purser cozies up to a UA*G on board?

Phew... saved...

I agree - totally ridiculous.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Thanks for publication !!

While I think all the other adjustments are not worth that much attention, the reduction of Q Class (even V) to 50% earning is completely out of touch considering the price range of these booking classes.
Not that I'm flying V class much these days - I think I always do have one or 2 trips in the lower Y classes which I upgrade, so it just becomes harder and not worthwhile.

Originally Posted by oneworld82 View Post
Another reason to switch to oneworld
Yes, I had just called up AA to inquire about various elite benefits and also earlier investigated Delta, so I'm looking for a alternative to LH now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: