Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
The details of the ASR procedures can be found here:

https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_1000/folder_1216/file_92910.pdf
Print Wikipost

Extra charge for economy ASR coming to LH: Bischof

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I didn't realise the ASR thing until I booked my LH flight ex-CPH to LAX. I'm not going to pay for it. Does anyone know if they will try to seat a group with the same PNR together? We re a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids), 4 with *A G, does it change anything?

TIA!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now Y exit rows on longhaul will be priced similar to OS, ie 70€. Effective 16JUN14.
Brilliant.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Now Y exit rows on longhaul will be priced similar to OS, ie 70€. Effective 16JUN14.
Yup. And I fly on 17JUN14 and cannot reserve an exit row because they're already taken. First time in ~70 TATLs since becoming SEN...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by nacho
I didn't realise the ASR thing until I booked my LH flight ex-CPH to LAX. I'm not going to pay for it. Does anyone know if they will try to seat a group with the same PNR together? We re a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids), 4 with *A G, does it change anything?
The system will tray to seat you together on the available seats. You should check in online as early as possible and pick/change your seats then. *G can pick the seats in front of Y at checkin.

@econprof: the hike in fees will probably reduce the number of EE seat ASR sold
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The system will tray to seat you together on the available seats. You should check in online as early as possible and pick/change your seats then. *G can pick the seats in front of Y at checkin..
Which makes the ASR for *G quite a bit moot. You pay for the privilege of an inferior seat as you will try to get to the front during OLCI.

Now if they sold these seats to *G ahead of time that would make a lot more sense IMNSHO.

Last edited by weero; Jun 13, 2014 at 11:08 am Reason: ASR not ARSE or ART
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weero
Which makes the ASR for *G quite a bit moot. You pay for the privilege of an inferior seat as you will try to get to the front during OLCI.

Now if they sold these seats to *G ahead of time that would make a lot more sense IMNSHO.
Well, ASR is free to most Y pax, *G or not, only if you book the low low end Y fares you can't ASR.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:20 pm

Well, ASR is free to most Y pax, *G or not, only if you book the low low end Y fares you can't ASR.
Isn't that the vast majority of all travellers???
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
@econprof: the hike in fees will probably reduce the number of EE seat ASR sold
weren't they reserved exclusively for SEN/HON before? Now I have to compete with anybody willing to to fork over EUR 90...
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The system will tray to seat you together on the available seats. You should check in online as early as possible and pick/change your seats then. *G can pick the seats in front of Y at checkin.
Thanks! I'll do that ^

I have deliberately avoided their low low K fares, and paid more to get to L fare, which unfortunately is still a low low fare by LH standard

I'll try to credit the miles to UA since they are giving out 100% (my trip started before March 2015). I need to put in our TK G in now and then change to UA at check-in. Does LH do the FTQV and FQTS thing? I know SAS can't do it at CPH.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver

Some first hand info how this is handled for Hons traveling with family.

Limited to 3 companions, doesn't matter how many family members you have.
Everybody needs to be in the same PNR, therefore not able to book different compartments.
All seat reservations need to be done at the time of the booking.

Rather useless for my case.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mamb0
Some first hand info how this is handled for Hons traveling with family.

Limited to 3 companions, doesn't matter how many family members you have.
Everybody needs to be in the same PNR, therefore not able to book different compartments.
All seat reservations need to be done at the time of the booking.

Rather useless for my case.
This seems consistent with the change to no HON miles for Y economy flights- the message is clear- HON is a program for business and first class flyers only.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver

Or for families with 1.2 children and not social parasites and outcasts with 3.

Chose BA over LH because of this. Seats were reserved without cost and problem. Connecting in t5 painless, the galleries lounge was great for the kids

Happy BA customer here.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: MR Plat.
Not a smart move. I was appalled when I was subjected to this by an American carrier and thought at least LH does have the decency to not charge for acceptable seats. Now that differentiation is gone and I will go with the usually much cheaper American carrier.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mamb0
Or for families with 1.2 children and not social parasites and outcasts with 3.

Chose BA over LH because of this. Seats were reserved without cost and problem. Connecting in t5 painless, the galleries lounge was great for the kids

Happy BA customer here.
While I also think it is not fair for a full service airline to charge for seats and especially strange to charge a HON circle member for seating- meaning we are in full agreement- I think BA charges as well do they not?

I seem to recall more than once paying for seats on BA flights for companions even with a BA Executive Club Gold card- which is their highest "normal" tier apart from Premier which is invite only.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
..we are in full agreement- I think BA charges as well do they not? ...
Don't know about the past but OneWorld Emeralds can not only choose any seat for free but also get access to exit row seats.

While many OW carriers have ASR charges, I have yet to meet one which charges OW elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.