Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying FRA-BLR on full Y-fare. What are my op-up chances?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
If the flight is fully sold in business, aren't all the suggestions how to possibly get to business (either using star-upgrade or upsell) pointless?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
If the flight is fully sold in business, aren't all the suggestions how to possibly get to business (either using star-upgrade or upsell) pointless?
Looks quite pointless unless there are plenty of no-shows:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
BLR  Bangalore Bengaluru Intl IN [VOBG]
SUN  03 Feb 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
LH         754     FRA   13:00     BLR   02:00     74H      F2 A1 J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 Y9 B0 M0 U0 H0 G0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 E0 L0 K0
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Looks quite pointless unless there are plenty of no-shows:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
FRA  Frankfurt Metro / Intl DE = FRA HHN [EDDF]
BLR  Bangalore Bengaluru Intl IN [VOBG]
SUN  03 Feb 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
LH         754     FRA   13:00     BLR   02:00     74H      F2 A1 J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 Y9 B0 M0 U0 H0 G0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 E0 L0 K0
Ugh! Economy it is. For once I was hoping Y class fare will help me. At least I get the extra PQM... I will put in for the *A upgrade. Who knows...

Thanks for all your responses.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:19 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Just an agree!

As stated in the headline this data is available at flightstats.com. The registration for that service is free. If you dont like that you can just ask here at FT or send a PM and I will look up. (Weekdays only).

So if you have a "full" Y fare I would try to reroute or to upsell to a discounted business fare. IMHO and not wanting to offend anyone I think that the full Y fare has a really low value and should only be bought in emergency.

Means if you have a business appointment or need to go to a fair when everything else is sold out.

Would be fine if you could update this thread after the flight so we could see if it had worked.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
If there is only Y9 open, that does not mean that they have 9 seats in economy left.
They are saying that for price of Y ticket, they are always willing to bump someone else from the flight. I think your upgrade chances are quite high... Please let us know how it ended up.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gum
As stated in the headline this data is available at flightstats.com. The registration for that service is free. If you dont like that you can just ask here at FT or send a PM and I will look up. (Weekdays only).

So if you have a "full" Y fare I would try to reroute or to upsell to a discounted business fare. IMHO and not wanting to offend anyone I think that the full Y fare has a really low value and should only be bought in emergency.

Means if you have a business appointment or need to go to a fair when everything else is sold out.

Would be fine if you could update this thread after the flight so we could see if it had worked.
@gum, I did not ask for a Y-fare. That's all they offered... I am trying to figure out how it can help me get an upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JanoSicek
If there is only Y9 open, that does not mean that they have 9 seats in economy left.
They are saying that for price of Y ticket, they are always willing to bump someone else from the flight. I think your upgrade chances are quite high... Please let us know how it ended up.
Interesting. I hope that is the case. I am putting in a *A upgrade request on the UA site. Will post results here
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Interesting. I hope that is the case. I am putting in a *A upgrade request on the UA site. Will post results here
Keep us posted- and good luck!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M, EY Guest
How do you actually book a Y fare on LHs website? When I select Economy Flex during the booking process it always shows booking class B...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:40 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
@gum, I did not ask for a Y-fare. That's all they offered... I am trying to figure out how it can help me get an upgrade.
Ok!

If I would be you I would recheck the Lufthansa website if there is any other offer for that route, may be a quote for discounted business class with one more stopover and a convenient flight time. As some other posters stated before the price difference between full Y und discounted Biz is not soo large.

In either case like others I would like to know the outcome.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

So, I tried putting in an *A upgrade request. It says 'No upgrade available' and there is no way to get waitlisted. I will keep trying everyday, as people in C may bail or change plans.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I tried putting in an *A upgrade request. It says 'No upgrade available' and there is no way to get waitlisted. I will keep trying everyday, as people in C may bail or change plans.
You cannot waitlist for *A upgrades.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by JanoSicek
Not exactly correct - just your speculation. Y9 in the system means there are 9 or more seats available in that class, not that they are willing to bump 9 people out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.