Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 hour layover- MUC or FRA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
Yes, LHR is lots of fun if you like to be bussed from your short-haul DUS flight or long-haul TLV flight which arrives at T1 to your connecting flight at T5, wait at the fast track for 30 minutes to be screened by BAA for a second time arriving from a supposedly safe country. Even on regular T5 to T5 connections you still have to queue for security and I do not even want to imagine how long it takes without fast track.

I still regularly fly BA and connect in LHR but I do not see why this should be any better compared to FRA. On the contrary, at least in my experience I find myself much faster in a lounge at FRA compared to LHR. The BA lounges are better though at least if you do not have access to the FCLs or FCT.

Anyway this is a bit OT and comming back to the OPs question MUC is a decent airport for connecting while FRA is fine and can be annoying at times, IMHO.
Hi totti- you are describing exactly what I went through arriving at FRA on Monday night and connecting to VCE from LCY. With a 75 minute connection time I had 14 minutes in the lounge- and this was the fast track. A plus is possibly the worst new airport set up I have seen anywhere in the world- it is competing with the older parts of CDG at the moment- after all the promises of how many problems Aplus would solve- my experiences with it are about as happy as I am with NEK. It is that bad and the people who have been recruited for security must have been given a course on how to upset and annoy people- it is also great to see them focusing on six year old girls who are crying because they are wearing their Disney necklaces through the machine.

How is it possible that an airport of this low quality of service and mind boggling bad brand new design is possible in such a high quality country of friendly people like Germany?

OP skip FRA and go to MUC.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
How is it possible that an airport of this low quality of service and mind boggling bad brand new design is possible in such a high quality country of friendly people like Germany?
High quality is debatable (think of BER ) and friendly is at least relative. I have to admit that my experiences with A plus are limited and it may well be that it is a pain. I am really sorry to hear that.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
High quality is debatable (think of BER ) and friendly is at least relative. I have to admit that my experiences with A plus are limited and it may well be that it is a pain. I am really sorry to hear that.
I have been reading/following the BER story and this is also incredible. It is something I would expect to happen in a little country in Africa- not in the capital city of Germany!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I reckon BER might turn out to be one of Europe's best airports once it finally opens. But regarding FRA it must surely be Europe's worst major hub and I see little hope of that improving in the near future.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
For the life of me, I can't see how FRA could possibly be worse than CDG.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gojko88
For the life of me, I can't see how FRA could possibly be worse than CDG.
I use to agree with you and avoided CDG like the plague.

The last few "improvements" however of FRA have made it into an extremely difficult airport to move through quickly. I also have the perception there must be some type of "work to rule" thing going on with the security staff as they have become significantly ruder and borderline hostile to customers in the last six months or so and work at a speed that could hardly be described as efficient.

Passport control also seems to be significantly understaffed for the size of operation they are now running- and I have doubts if there has been any adjustments based on the impact of A380 operations which result in a very large number of passengers all arriving at exactly the same time.

MUC or ZRH are thus far better choices. I even now choose MAD over FRA and currently am rating it as a tie with CDG for worst large airports in Europe.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:50 pm

MUC is a wonderful airport. I always choose this if possible as transfers are so easy. It is clean and comfortable.

FRA is neat if you are an airplane nerd like me and enjoy watching the sheer variety of air traffic on your downtime/connections. FRA's big problem is that they never tore down the old main buildings and started new - it is a cobbled together mess now, even for those who know how to navigate it!

However, the real problem is the poor service lately alluded to by others at FRA.
Indifference and arrogance seems to be the norm now!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sp4294
However, the real problem is the poor service lately alluded to by others at FRA.
Indifference and arrogance seems to be the norm now!
To be clear- this is not LH staff- the issue at FRA is particularly security which are in a competition with certain USA airports now for the "who can offend and upset the greatest number of families and older customers"- and may win at the rate they are going. MUC has always had very professional staff in my experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.