Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: united
Tyrolean Air Business Class

This is actually Austrian airlines...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"Overseas" is perhaps not the best word to use when referring to a land-locked country such as Austria if you intend it as a synonym for "international". Tyrolean rarely flies over any seas.

From the past month:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...n-airways.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-question.html

Somewhat older:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ess-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-tyrolean.html
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Tyrolean rarely flies over any seas
Actually quite a few these days. Austrian has moved most of it's airframes and crew to Tyrolean . Austrian is almost a virtual airline these days

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...bing-all-77325
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, that I didn't know.

My past experiences of Tyrolean/Arrows was on the short-haul network that they ran.

I hadn't realised that Austrian Mainline had been folded into Tyrolean!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The flight I am looking it is listed as a 763, and when I go to Seatguru, it shows business class on Austrian 763 as being 2-2-2. This seems like too many seats. I have only flown business class twice, once on a 763 (DL), and it was 1-2-1. Anyone familiar with their actual seats? I'm not being hyper-picky here, but I don't want to book my wife on what I tell her is a business class flight and have her ask "What the *** was that?"
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:04 pm

As mentioned above, it is in fact Austrian Airlines.

The Tyrol or Tirol is a region shared by Austria, Italy, and Germany., In this case it is just a brand name like Mountain, Dolomiten, or Rockies airlines, if there is one.

The aircraft, seating, and service are quite good. For the businessman at least, the flights are punctual.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
The flight I am looking it is listed as a 763, and when I go to Seatguru, it shows business class on Austrian 763 as being 2-2-2. This seems like too many seats. I have only flown business class twice, once on a 763 (DL), and it was 1-2-1.
Go to seatguru, and check DL's various 763 configs.

All are 2-2-2.

The only aeroplanes you are likely to find with only 4 seats across in business class in Europe are Embraers and Fokkers. Certainly NOT on a widebody plane!!!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:04 pm

Well you're right about most of DL's 76x, but the 764 and one of the 763's are 1-2-1 in a staggered configuration, and that's what I was on last month.

I understand the intra-European "business class" is nothing we'd really recognize, but this is a TATL flight.

Anyway I think they are reconfiguring all the flights anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:08 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I understand the intra-European "business class" is nothing we'd really recognize...
I think intra-EU biz is better than US domestic F. The seats may be nothing to write home over, but it is very nice to have most of a cabin to yourself!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:40 pm

I've only flown it once, a short hop last month LHR-CDG, and it was indeed pretty empty, but the seat were like coach, just that the middle seat was blocked off. I don't know if the food we got was better than coach, just got a breakfast snack thingy. I was tired after the TATL and didn't even notice what they served behind us. But it wasn't a separate cabin.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Does anyone know anything about this airline? They have a hub in Vienna. I am looking to book a flight OTP-IAD and some of the routings I am coming up with use them. They also seem to be called Austrian Arrows. Is their overseas business class comparable to other airlines business class?
It appears your flying OTP-VIE-IAD. I just did the VIE-IAD flight on Tuesday. It is indeed Austrian. Austrian has been rolled into Tyrolean (in June I think) for financial purposes. There are numerous threads about this. However, I don't think there is any noticeable changes to passengers (other than itineraries showing up as 'Austrian operated by Tyrolean for Lufthansa' (that's a mouthful). They have a little sign at the front of business class where it says Austrian Airlines. They recently added "operated by Tyrolean" in smaller print under. Look up Austrian long haul business class in trip reports for more details.

This route is with a 767, 2-2-2 configuration. Food, service, and timing were excellent. Very nice multi course meal and full coffee service. Seat is angled flat and I found it most comfortable in the 'relax' position. The full flat position was not great for me. VIE-IAD is a day flight, so I did not find it bad.

http://www.aua.com/auacms/sites/book/en/index.html

Austrian will be switching these seats out later this year/early next year for full flat seats (similar to Swiss). For now, I believe its on par with other business class (other than the seat being not so great). They have a crazy color scheme, but I actually like it. Light blue walls for the Austrian sky, green carpet for the Austrian meadows, purple seats for the Austrian mountains, and faux wood accents representing the forests. I hope they keep the colors with the new cabin upgrades. I think its unique.

For my money regarding *A, long haul European airlines business class, I like Swiss best, then Turkish, then Austrian (because of the service and food, not the seat), then Lufthansa (I have not experienced the new LH lie flat business, just the angled). Just my opinion. Others I'm sure feel differently.

I was not that impressed with the new VIE terminal that opened this summer. It was not designed with passengers and movement of people in mind. Lots of constrained walkway spaces and really inconsistent signage. Its not hard to navigate though, just thought with a brand new terminal they would have done better. The OS Sen lounge was nice and had really helpful staff though.

The Austrian Arrows segment is likely just the OTP-VIE leg. This could vary, but will likely be an A319 (or similar). I recently experienced VIE-DBV and BCN-VIE on similar flights. This is standard European business class as described in earlier posts above. Service will be good, meal far better than US first class, 3-3 configuration with the middle seat blocked out, but the actual seats will be the same NEK as coach. I don't find these that comfortable, but I suspect OTP-VIE is a pretty quick flight, should be fine.

If the price and timing is right with Austrian, I say go for it.

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; Sep 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm Reason: Added more details
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
...The Tyrol or Tirol is a region shared by Austria, Italy, and Germany...
...and Germany??? Not before, neither after WWII!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:11 am

KLouis;

Go back a bit further. Provinz Deutschtirol.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
They have a crazy color scheme, but I actually like it. Light blue walls for the Austrian sky, green carpet for the Austrian meadows, purple seats for the Austrian mountains, and faux wood accents representing the forests. I hope they keep the colors with the new cabin upgrades. I think its unique.
Wow...I wasn't aware there is an actual logic behind their crazy color mix. Always interesting what kind of trivia you can learn on FT!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
So I have a flight from MUC - GRZ in C on this carrier, what kind of food will be served?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.